Transfer from Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach to the port - What time?

IndyKid

We booked our entire package, including transfers between the airport, hotel and the ship with Princess. If anyone on here has ever used this service I'm curious as to what time they picked you up and delivered you to the pier? We want to be there when boarding starts at 11 AM to beat the crowd.

1 hour ago, IndyKid said:

We booked our entire package, including transfers between the airport, hotel and the ship with Princess. If anyone on here has ever used this service I'm curious as to what time they picked you up and delivered you to the pier? We want to be there when boarding starts at 11 AM to beat the crowd.

You are not going to get a Princess shuttle to the pier for early check-in and be seated in the terminal waiting for boarding to begin.  I'd cancel it and get a taxi or Uber if I wanted to be sure to be at the terminal early.   If it's all bundled, then you can just skip the shuttle and do your own thing for the extra cost.  

• Like 3

As Steelers36 says, just take an uber.  Cancel the princess shuttle, it'll be faster and cheaper.  And getting there at 11 is smack dab in the middle of the crowd.  Either get there by 10:30 at the latest or go after noon  

• Like 1

In Fort Lauderdale, there's already a line of passengers that forms at 9:30 a.m.  The terminal usually opens between 10 and 10:15 a.m.  I've been onboard as early as 10:45 a.m.; it all depends on how soon the B2Bs can clear immigration and reboard.

Pre-pandemic, I had a family member that booked a pre-cruise hotel with Princess.  Their transfer was the Princess transfer from the airport.  It swung by their hotel to pick up the passengers with pre-cruise stays.  We beat them to the port after having arrived at FLL airport the morning of the cruise from a red eye and taking a taxi to the port.

As has been stated, ditch the Princess transfer and find your own way to Port Everglades if you want to guarantee early boarding.

TBH, if you really want to miss the crowds, show up at 1:30 p.m.  You'll breeze right through.  Most everyone will have been processed by then.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IndyKid said:

Take a cab then, cancel the shuttle.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Take a cab then, cancel the shuttle.

OP has paid for the shuttle and it is not refundable, since it was included in the pre-cruise hotel package.

There is no reason to do anything in advance. Wait until you get to the hotel and ask the Princess representative what time the shuttle will leave. Also ask the front desk how much a taxi would cost. Then decide.

On 9/3/2023 at 10:14 PM, IndyKid said:

We have done this several times now.  They will *generally* load up a bus at your hotel and leave anywhere from about 10:30-11:00am.  You will NOT get there in time to do lunch in the MDR (in my experience.)

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Princess' pre-cruise hotel packages usually pick up at the hotel around 1pm. There may be stops at a few hotels. For future planning just book the hotel on your own and grab a cab or uber from the hotel to the pier. 

That sounds MUCH too late.  Especially in FL/PE where they have ships leaving at 3:00pm now.

• Like 1

Yup.  One time we did Princess hotel/transfer in Ft Lauderdale we got Hilton North and a 1 PM bus to ship.  Paid double hotel rack rate (although it included transfers).  Now we book hotel on own, take a cab there.  Hotel shuttles to pier work, but you tend to wait a lot for loading (around $8pp).  Cab for around $15 with tip goes when you want.

Check on hotel prices and if good book on your own and cancel the cruise ship hotel and transfers.

Last March DH and I stayed at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, booked through Princess with a transfer to the Regal. The transfer bus picked us up at 11:15am and dropped us off at the port 15-20 minutes later. Embarkation was quick and easy and we were in our room by 12.  Plenty of time for lunch in the MDR. 

I routinely stay next door at the W and Uber to the port.  As others have said, if you do a Princess transfer you will not be there at 9:30-9:45 when the early boarding lineup starts.  BTW, Princess packages are a rip-off; you can do much better on your own.  And, the Westin FLL Beach is tired and the rooms don't have balconies.  Some have lovely ocean and beach views, but I would be frustrated not have a balcony in that location.  I love staying on the central beach - lots to do, great vibe for starting vacation and tons of restaurants and bars.  Allow 15-20 minutes to get to the ship (barring any sort of special event traffic or the drawbridge being up).

Consider that Uber/Lyft will cost you less than $20, and take you when you please without any hassles waiting for others, loading luggage, etc.  Why on earth folks are willing to pay Princess (or any cruise line) for hotel packages (including transfers) in Ft Lauderdale is a mystery.  

As to when to go to the port, this is one of those personal preference issues.  Do you enjoy sitting in an uncomfortable chair (at the port) cooling your heels until boarding starts and your group is finally called (only to stand in various queues).  That is the price to get aboard as early as possible.  On the other hand, you could arrive at the port around 2pm and get processed (with little or no wait) and be on the ship in minutes.

Also keep in mind that many of us have some kind of Priority Boarding (i.e. Elite, Suites, etc.).  Once boarding does start (and this is often beyond the control of the cruise line) the priority folks will go first.  Even if you arrive before the priority group, you will likely be "cooling your heels" as they fight the lines to be among the first to board.

We do think there is one very good reason to try and board among the first.  If you are planning on reserving the Sanctuary, that is first come, first serve.  And even if you are among the first aboard, you still could be out of luck with most (if not all) the spots going to those who are their turn around day (back to back cruisers).

Hank

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Why on earth folks are willing to pay Princess (or any cruise line) for hotel packages (including transfers) in Ft Lauderdale is a mystery.  

It's just nice to have it all EASILY set up ahead of time with a few clicks on the Princess site.  Yes...I know we can do it for cheaper but we just consider it "part of our vacation" with ZERO stress.  We really don't care about getting to the ship ahead of everybody else.

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It's just nice to have it all EASILY set up ahead of time with a few clicks on the Princess site.  Yes...I know we can do it for cheaper but we just consider it "part of our vacation" with ZERO stress.  We really don't care about getting to the ship ahead of everybody else.

Ahhhh, but it is not really easier as evidenced by your OP and questions (for which there are no good answers). The reality is that you still do not know what time you will be transferred, or how long you must wait.  And you will not really have that answer until you actually do the transfer.

Booking a hotel, online, is just a matter of a few clicks of the mouse.  Getting a transfer is a simple as grabbing a taxi (outside the airport door or hotel door) or requesting an Uber/Lyft (easily done on an app.   With a group transfer you must wait until they show-up, wait until they get all their customers, wait until they load all the luggage, often get crammed into the back seat of a van, mini-van, etc.  And the extra benefit is that you will likely do it for about half the price, and can choose the perfect location for your own wants.

Another unfortunate issue can happen when the transfer is provided through the hotel (it is often done this way).  The transfer mini-bus or van may stop at several other cruise piers before it even gets to your own ship (in this case HAL).  A taxi, Uber or Lyft will take you (and only you) directly from your hotel to your pier.

Bottom line for us is that we usually prefer private transfers rather than getting involved with a group.

Hank

• Like 1

Those who order Ubers; do you typically order an XL in order to handle large bags or just assume a normal UberX will have enough space.  The one time my wife and I did a normal UberX the guy had to do some crazy tetris stuff to make one bag fit in the front seat since the trunk wasn't big enough for both.  Just two normal but full sized hard travel cases that weigh in ~40 lbs when full.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PMGS247 said:

Those who order Ubers; do you typically order an XL in order to handle large bags or just assume a normal UberX will have enough space.  The one time my wife and I did a normal UberX the guy had to do some crazy tetris stuff to make one bag fit in the front seat since the trunk wasn't big enough for both.  Just two normal but full sized hard travel cases that weigh in ~40 lbs when full.

I guess that would depend on how much luggage.  DW and I normally travel with two large suitcases and 2 carry-on backpacks.  There are times when an Uber driver has to move things around or put one bag on the front passenger seat, but it works out and we have never needed to order an XL.  It is really not much different in some of the taxis we have had, around the world, where the drivers struggle to fit all the luggage.  But they manage.

Hank

• Thanks 1