Discovery Princess dining dress code

Cattiathecat

19 minutes ago, Oxo said:

So, if they are getting too relaxed, that means you dress as you like. Princess will not confront anyone to create a scene or loose a client. Money counts!

18 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Sorry, but T shirts & shorts are not acceptable at dinner in the dining rooms.A lot of us do pay a lot of money to dress decently(not over the top) & I'm sorry, but seeing a diningroom full of shorts & T shirts just doesn't cut it. We're NOT talking gown tuxedos, suits.We're simply talking slacks, nice shirts etc. We want to feel that we are having a special occasion, not eating with the Walmart crowd at the Ground Round.

16 minutes ago, rbtan said:

What is soo difficult to ask a poorly dressed pax to go back to their room & put on a pair of slacks & change the T shirt to a Polo type? It is not rocket science.

Unfortunately, even if you're not ready to accept it, it's the way things are today. I still would much rather have it more relaxed so I'm not forced to conform to any specific clothing. I just overlook the shorts. You can't see them once seated anyway.

You always have the option of eating at a Specialty restaurant where it's more conservative dress.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rbtan said:

What is soo difficult to ask a poorly dressed pax to go back to their room & put on a pair of slacks & change the T shirt to a Polo type? It is not rocket science.

Nothing is soo difficult. However, have you talked to the MDR personnel and asked why they don't address the dress suggestion issues? I have on various cruise lines and they all say the same thing. 'We don't want to cause a conflict, disturbance or loose a client.'

This is not a Rocket Ship, it is a Cruise Ship! LOL

Happy Cruising!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Unfortunately, even if you're not ready to accept it, it's the way things are today. I still would much rather have it more relaxed so I'm not forced to conform to any specific clothing. I just overlook the shorts. You can't see them once seated anyway.

You always have the option of eating at a Specialty restaurant where it's more conservative dress.

Actually specialty restaurants do not have a formal dress policy even on formal nights as far as I know

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

Ignore the downmarket crowd who feel slovenly dress should be the norm. You're on a cruise not at a flea market..

I ignore the uppity crowds who feel a day suit is best reserved for "formal" nights. Slacks & button down shirt(or nice polo) are fine the rest of the time. Shorts/t shirts baseball hats are fine at breakfast/lunch, NOT at dinner. The only opinion that counts on any of the suggested dress guidelines for the MDR is the staff/MD. No one else. But you are consistent with your agenda. What a way to spend the evening enjoying a meal, drinks and conversation. How someone else is dressed hasn't ever ruined our evening in the MDR. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

I agree. But they don't have the stones to do it and we know why. So that's why the evening dress code for the MDR is suggested and not enforced. 

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Sorry, but T shirts & shorts are not acceptable at dinner in the dining rooms.A lot of us do pay a lot of money to dress decently(not over the top) & I'm sorry, but seeing a diningroom full of shorts & T shirts just doesn't cut it. We're NOT talking gown tuxedos, suits.We're simply talking slacks, nice shirts etc. We want to feel that we are having a special occasion, not eating with the Walmart crowd at the Ground Round.

I shopped at Walmart this morning. Be careful when pointing fingers at others!! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Actually specialty restaurants do not have a formal dress policy even on formal nights as far as I know

Yes, true.  SD has always been smart casual.  That said, I have seen some tables dressed semi-formally at least on non-formal nights as I imagine they were making it an occasion for themselves.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Yea, I know, but I just couldn't help myself.

It's what all the formalists use to tell people who didn't like dressing up on formal nights when things were much stricter. ☺️

I enjoy looking nice.  My DH enjoys looking nice.  We enjoy looking at each other looking nice.  I feel good when I look good.  When I do my hair, my makeup, my nails and when I wear nice outfits I feel like a million bucks.  I walk a bit taller and a bit sexier (just ask my DH) and I know he’s proud of the way I look.  My DH is a fashion plate and always has been.  He looks so handsome and other ladies turn their heads.  I love it.

We do not give a flying fig what you wear.  Honestly, you’re invisible to us.  If you don’t care about looking your best, we certainly don’t care either.  Wear your shorts, your t-shirts, your ball caps and flip flops or whatever you want.  If you sit  next to us at dinner, we won’t blink an eye, nor will we judge you.  We’re too busy having our own good time and enjoying each other’s company.  

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

I enjoy looking nice.  My DH enjoys looking nice.  We enjoy looking at each other looking nice.  I feel good when I look good.  When I do my hair, my makeup, my nails and when I wear nice outfits I feel like a million bucks.  I walk a bit taller and a bit sexier (just ask my DH) and I know he’s proud of the way I look.  My DH is a fashion plate and always has been.  He looks so handsome and other ladies turn their heads.  I love it.

We do not give a flying fig what you wear.  Honestly, you’re invisible to us.  If you don’t care about looking your best, we certainly don’t care either.  Wear your shorts, your t-shirts, your ball caps and flip flops or whatever you want.  If you sit  next to us at dinner, we won’t blink an eye, nor will we judge you.  We’re too busy having our own good time and enjoying each other’s company.  

Exactly this!

• Thanks 1

rbtan -  Obviously, this is a topic that really irks you!  Just a bit too harsh and judgmental about this conversation, if you ask me. Geez!! 🙄  That said, I like to dress for dinner and want my husband's attire to be at the same level.  I don't buy evening gowns anymore, because I never have anywhere to wear them.  My husband does not own a suit, because his career never demanded that type of dress code. Tuxes are for weddings and The Oscars...not to eat dinner with hundreds of people you don't or barely know.  Just my opinion, of course. Moving on....

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Actually specialty restaurants have even less of a dress code than MDR.  On the old formal nights some people would book specialty restaurants to avoid having to dress up.