Discovery Princess dining dress code

Cattiathecat

2 minutes ago, Cattiathecat said:

I’d appreciate any advice on dining dress code for males on the Princess Discovery that will be sailing out of LA to Mexican Riviera early October? Will my husband be ok in a day suit? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what a day suit is ?  Basically unless you are wearing shorts or gym attire you will be welcomed in the MDR

• Like 3

😀 Good Day.   I'm not trying to be funny but I have never heard the term Day Suit.. Sorry,  I live a sheltered life.   LOL

Mexico cruises are pretty simple.    Wear what you would if you were going out to a nice restuarant for dinner.   A jacket would be nice but now a days Princess seems to look the other way.   Just please no shorts at dinner  Lunch in the dining room is casual.

On the other hand if you love dressing up as we do skys the limit.

Have fun it's a vacation..   

Edited by waltd
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, waltd said:

😀 Good Day.   I'm not trying to be funny but I have never heard the term Day Suit.. Sorry,  I live a sheltered life.   LOL

Mexico cruises are pretty simple.    Wear what you would if you were going out to a nice restuarant.   A jacket would be nice but now a days Princess seems to look the other way.   Just please no shorts at dinner

On the other hand if you love dressing up as we do skys the limit.

Have fun it's a vacation..   

I forgot my jacket in June and no problem. 

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
8 minutes ago, memoak said:

I am not sure what a day suit is ?  Basically unless you are wearing shorts or gym attire you will be welcomed in the MDR

Even wearing shorts you may well get away with it. The dress code isn't strictly enforced on Princess 🙂

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

14 minutes ago, Cattiathecat said:

I’d appreciate any advice on dining dress code for males on the Princess Discovery that will be sailing out of LA to Mexican Riviera early October? Will my husband be ok in a day suit? Thanks in advance.

If I'm just going to the MDR very often I will just wear a pair of khakis and either a Polo style shirt or *maybe* a button down shirt.  If going to a specialty restaurant I will usually wear the same thing but add a sport jacket...but that is DEFINITELY not required...it's just my preference.  Many people will say "business casual"...

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just googled "day suit" and from what I see it looks like a suit & tie. It'll be fine, but just realize that formal dressing isn't really required any longer unless he really wants to. My husband just wears a pair of Dockers & Polo shirt of even a pair of decent black jeans.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Cattiathecat said:

Thanks all. I should have said business suit instead of ‘day suit’ 🤣 great news that he can dress more informally as he prefers that.  Do they have a specific formal night at all. I seem to recall cruises used to have this. Thank you

10 minutes ago, Cattiathecat said:

Thanks all. I should have said business suit instead of ‘day suit’ 🤣 great news that he can dress more informally as he prefers that.  Do they have a specific formal night at all. I seem to recall cruises used to have this. Thank you

Yes, they do have designated formal night.  Although, they might designate one on your route as "dress to impress" or "white & gold".  Mexican Riviera and Caribbean sectors are going to trend to the more smart casual than night suits or even day suits.  Go with what is comfortable for you as you can dine all nights as smart casual if that is his preference.  Guests will have a range of attire, including suits and tuxes, but they are not required.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, edspec said:

My adult son wore shorts to the MDR several times on our Sky Princess cruise in July.  They were dressy shorts with a nice shirt and he looked great...no one batted an eye.

I don’t think anyone wants to see my hairy legs with scars from multiple surgeries 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I don’t think anyone wants to see my hairy legs with scars from multiple surgeries 

Most people sailing Princess have either scars or something similar. 

The days of people with legs of 24 year old's are long gone.

2 hours ago, Cattiathecat said:

I wore a tie but no jacket on my two cruises on that ship with no problem. Khaki pants and brown dress shoes. There were guys there less formal and more formal than me.

1 hour ago, Cattiathecat said:

Thanks for clarifying.  For a minute I thought you might have meant a Leisure Suit!  😀  (Actually, a leisure suite might be kind of cool.  hmmmm).   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Thanks for clarifying.  For a minute I thought you might have meant a Leisure Suit!  😀  (Actually, a leisure suite might be kind of cool.  hmmmm).   

love it - Leisure Suit Larry?

sorry - I put the laugh on your post - hope it was not "rude"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wear what you want that has a semblance to the evening's recommended dress.  You're going to be eating banquet food at a floating banquet hall.  Formal night dinners are not a state dinners were you'll be meeting heads of state or people with power; no need for such formality.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cattiathecat said:

Why not females?  Do you already know the answer for Princess suggested dress code for females and not males?  Suspicious how these endless dress code forums keep popping up. The last one started last Friday and has 120 replies and is still going.  While I"m at it, does anyone know how many chairs you can hog on Princess Lido deck at a time and for how long? Just checking for my husband. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2