Infinity is definitely going into dry dock!

seaside princess

Hello All! I rarely post but wanted to share this exciting news. This afternoon I got two phone calls from celebrity explaining that the cabin I booked for the June

29 th Greece cruise was being transformed into a suite as Infinity will be going into an extensive dry dock. The cabin that I have booked is one of those ultra deluxe aft that sleeps 5. The first phone call stated that with no additional cost to our family, we would be able to use The Retreat, Luminae, and the lounge.

The second phone call was basically the same info. My daughter and son are next door in a Sunset verandah and apparently these cabins are not part of the suite category. My husband , another son and myself will be considered suite class. At this time I have no further info. Hope this limited info helps,,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, seaside princess said:

The cabin that I have booked is one of those ultra deluxe aft that sleeps 5. The first phone call stated that with no additional cost to our family, we would be able to use The Retreat, Luminae, and the lounge.

The second phone call was basically the same info. My daughter and son are next door in a Sunset verandah and apparently these cabins are not part of the suite category. My husband , another son and myself will be considered suite class.

Kind of rains on the parade of some of the complaint postings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Kind of rains on the parade of some of the complaint postings.

Not really. I just left Infinity 6 days ago. We had a great cruise but the ship is very very tired. Needs lots of work. Spoke with officers on the ship who told me they regret that upcoming January drydock of just 18 days will mean that while Infinity will get some refurbishing it will be nowhere close to a full Revolution like the Summit and Millie have had...just necessary maintenance and a few renovations.  So most cabins will keep the same tired worn out look they currently have. One senior crew member even speculated that Infinity and Constellation will never be fully refurbished and are likely to be sold. I certainly hope that the optimism expressed in this thread is true and what I have heard is wrong, but IMO all signs point to an only slightly renovated ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, seaside princess said:

Hello All! I rarely post but wanted to share this exciting news. This afternoon I got two phone calls from celebrity explaining that the cabin I booked for the June

29 th Greece cruise was being transformed into a suite as Infinity will be going into an extensive dry dock. The cabin that I have booked is one of those ultra deluxe aft that sleeps 5. The first phone call stated that with no additional cost to our family, we would be able to use The Retreat, Luminae, and the lounge.

The second phone call was basically the same info. My daughter and son are next door in a Sunset verandah and apparently these cabins are not part of the suite category. My husband , another son and myself will be considered suite class. At this time I have no further info. Hope this limited info helps,,

Very nice for you, DH and one son to be in a suite with all that entails, does the SV with your daughter and other son get the same access to Luminae and retreat or will you be dining with them in the MDR? 

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Not really. I just left Infinity 6 days ago. We had a great cruise but the ship is very very tired. Needs lots of work. Spoke with officers on the ship who told me they regret that upcoming January drydock of just 18 days will mean that while Infinity will get some refurbishing it will be nowhere close to a full Revolution like the Summit and Millie have had...just necessary maintenance and a few renovations.  So most cabins will keep the same tired worn out look they currently have. One senior crew member even speculated that Infinity and Constellation will never be fully refurbished and are likely to be sold. I certainly hope that the optimism expressed in this thread is true and what I have heard is wrong, but IMO all signs point to an only slightly renovated ship.

Every ship is always for sale for the right price

44 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Every ship is always for sale for the right price

Not really. Celebrity has sold zero ships in the last 20 years and before that they really did not sell them when they were ready to get rid of them, they moved them to the German or Spanish arms of the corporation. If they get rid of the Infinity and Constellation it will be because they do not want to spend the money for a full " Revolution" upgrade and/ or spend the cost of upkeep maintenance on the old ships. I hope they upgrade them and keep them. It had been several years since I had cruised on any of the older smaller ships and this recent cruise reminded me how enjoyable they can be.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

That's interesting as they had categorized these rooms on Constellation and that never took place.  To me they would have to do a major renovation of these rooms including making a suite worthy bathroom.

Because the cabin is long and narrow like a bowling alley, there are not a lot of options for putting in a proper suite level bathroom.  There were essentially no changes made to the Silhouette Horizon Suite bathrooms when they were converted from FV.  I am guessing this is what will happen here.

• Like 1

Sailed on her 2x in AQ class pre Covid.. Ca coastal and carib. She was really tired !

.Happy for OP.. nice upgrade in getting suite amenities. but sounds  like the rest of the family next door won't be in Retreat...making it awkward. .We are not familiar with these cabins...

Issue with Infinity for us  was not just tired decor,  mildew in shower etc , but we had  A/C that died regularly in our cabin and hallway....never really fixed.  Cabins down the hall had  toilet back up. issues....fans blowing to dry carpet.

Seems like the planned upgrades may not reach the systemic issues..hoping  they will.!  

Wishing Connie would get updated too! Loved her in her Prime!

Thank you all for your kind words. Hope they do more work than just upgrading those cabins. Regardless we are looking forward to this cruise and as planned will do all on board activities together including dining to avoid any awkward situation as hcat correctly posted. It’s so ironic that sometimes we get a gift that we really don’t want.  Will keep you posted with any updates!

• Like 2

That’s the kind of phone call I’d like to get one day. Congratulations! 

One question: how were you able to book that cabin so far in advance for 3 people? When they changed the cabin category from Family Veranda to Ultra Deluxe Veranda did they remove the stipulation that they were reserved for 5 or more and make them bookable from the start? 

I’ve stayed in one of those cabins and as coveted as they are, I agree that they’re worthy of a suite designation. I’m interested to see the final makeover. 

10 minutes ago, seaside princess said:

Thank you all for your kind words. Hope they do more work than just upgrading those cabins. Regardless we are looking forward to this cruise and as planned will do all on board activities together including dining to avoid any awkward situation as hcat correctly posted. It’s so ironic that sometimes we get a gift that we really don’t want.  Will keep you posted with any updates!

You can bring guests to Luminae for a fee..maybe a special family dinner..if you think it's worth it.  I am sure it will work out well esp with your pos attitude!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, seaside princess said:

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise. Enjoy your upgrade!

I did contact Celebrity myself following comments that she was going to get a refit and they confirmed what you have been told and what edgee described….a few rooms getting upgraded to a suite but that is it. We are in a suite and torn between loving it’s traditional fittings but equally concerned we are paying a lot of money for a run down ship…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Sailed on her 2x in AQ class pre Covid.. Ca coastal and carib. She was really tired !

.Happy for OP.. nice upgrade in getting suite amenities. but sounds  like the rest of the family next door won't be in Retreat...making it awkward. .We are not familiar with these cabins...

Issue with Infinity for us  was not just tired decor,  mildew in shower etc , but we had  A/C that died regularly in our cabin and hallway....never really fixed.  Cabins down the hall had  toilet back up. issues....fans blowing to dry carpet.

Seems like the planned upgrades may not reach the systemic issues..hoping  they will.!  

Wishing Connie would get updated too! Loved her in her Prime!

Constellation getting upgraded after the March 2024 TA.

15 hours ago, seaside princess said:

Congratulations on your good fortune.  When Celebrity converted Silhouette's four Family Veranda cabins into suites, passengers that had already booked the cabin as an FV did not receive suite status when the cabins were re-categorized.  I believe they could get it only if they paid the fare difference which was sizeable.

I am fairly sure that Infinity was the only ship that did not receive the Starlink upgrade.  I presume that this will be taken care of during the dry dock.

11 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Awesome for the OP and anyone who receives a free upgrade.  However, for the 99% of who aren't receiving a free upgrade, this is just another "cutback" for us  as they're taking a cheaper room and making it expensive

Yes, we have only cruised in the UV (formerly FV) cabins on Millennium class.  So I am sorry to see these particular cabins get converted into suites on Infinity.  I am also concerned that this will occur for Millennium, Summit, and Constellation.  In fact I think there were reports in this forum that Celebrity attempted to do the FV to suite conversion when Millennium and Summit were first Revolutionized a few years ago but in the end that attempt was aborted. 

We have a UV booked on Summit for our Panama Canal cruise this coming April.  Unfortunately that may be the last time we are in one.  We will see. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b4d53494c77ddf87abf7b05dc2ec3662.jpeg

Constellation FV 8166, Nov 2022, Transatlantic sailing

On Celebrity's website, they do have advertise a Sunset Suite on Infinity.  It is priced in between a Celebrity Suite and Royal Suite.  The pricing for the particular sailing that I looked at was a bit more expensive than a Celebrity Suite.

image.thumb.jpeg.193534fb34bfc24a22b961c46395b26f.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

21 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I am fairly sure that Infinity was the only ship that did not receive the Starlink upgrade.  I presume that this will be taken care of during the dry dock.

Infinity had Starlink when we were on her in March of this year in South America.  It worked well.  We did have lots of trouble connecting to the wifi onboard, but once connected internet access was great with the premium package.

• Thanks 1