White Night

Gregrat

White Night is a "theme" for one of the nights on the cruise.  I've only be on one New Crystal cruise, so I'm not sure whether they have one every cruise, but I get the impression that they do.  So, everyone who participates wears white, or as close as white as you have with you.  I was told that my St. John white and navy striped skirt set was "close enough" to white.  The ambassador hosts wore white shirts and black pants.  The ship officers were in Dress Whites.  I saw one older couple getting their photograph taken, she in what looks like might have been her wedding gown; very sweet.  

So, after dinner, the party is in the Crystal Plaza.  They put on a bit of a floor show with the cruise headliners (female singer, male singer, violinist, and dance pros).  They were serving passed hors d'oeuvres.  They then opened the Plaza up for dancing - it was a nice dance floor.  I got to dance three songs with the dance pro. People who didn't dance lined the balcony on Deck 6 to observe. It was fun. 

My impression was iff you didn't want to participate, or didn't pack something white, no worries.  The dining venues didn't care what you wore.  And you could just choose not to go to the Crystal Plaza that night.  Or hang out on Deck 6 near the Bistro and observe the festivities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gregrat said:

Ok, so what’s the deal with White Night?

Does this happen on every cruise?

We are on the 8 night Alaska cruise next August and Lee Ann just went on Amazon and ordered me a pair of white workout pants for the cruise. 

Greg

Workout pants? I think that’s a bit too casual. Better to wear another color.

Edited by NWX

It's a cocktail party idea that OC "stole" from Azamara, and that NC has continued. For the most part it is a non-event and is easily avoided as it only "applies" in the Cove. If you are not wearing "white" I don't think anyone would notice.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Gregrat said:

Didn’t think about the dress code at night. You’re probably right.

I have to say that on our just-completed (we got home today) Serenity cruise, adherence to the published dress guidelines, other than the clown wearing a stetson, was pretty much 100%.

• Like 2

Just wanted to note it is the same as it was but now called the White Dress Party. Better description is that it was not an entire night of events.

A good number of people wear white particularly those who are Crystal Society Members. No big deal if you do not. 

I think of it as a mixer which is done on certain cruises in the Crystal Plaza/Cove.

In my case I now take a white pair of pants which I can wear more than once. Anne Marie always had white paints with her anyways.  All optional of course.

Keith

Mmmm….well we are on Symphony now and tonight it’s White Party.

Unfortunately, a week or two back, we read somewhere on the www that this particular cruise was not featuring a formal night or white party as it’s port intensive. We aren’t too bothered that we didn’t pack for either. Almost certainly there is no formal night, but we’ll observe tonight as best we can. Maybe these details should be made available during booking as a courtesy?

I was on an azamara cruise last summer and they had a white night party.  i had never heard of it before since it was my first azamara cruise, but it was lots of fun and while most people wore something white, other people wore whatever they wanted to. it was lots of fun and something different.

1 hour ago, comas said:

Mmmm….well we are on Symphony now and tonight it’s White Party.

Unfortunately, a week or two back, we read somewhere on the www that this particular cruise was not featuring a formal night or white party as it’s port intensive. We aren’t too bothered that we didn’t pack for either. Almost certainly there is no formal night, but we’ll observe tonight as best we can. Maybe these details should be made available during booking as a courtesy?

I know where you read about not having a formal night as I had provided that information. And yes it should be available to everyone so they can plan.

But there is a white party on every cruise regardless of length and at least on this board I don't remember anyone saying otherwise.

Have a great time tonight and I am sure several people won't be in white.

Keith

5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I know where you read about not having a formal night as I had provided that information. And yes it should be available to everyone so they can plan.

But there is a white party on every cruise regardless of length and at least on this board I don't remember anyone saying otherwise.

Have a great time tonight and I am sure several people won't be in white.

Keith

Yes, I remember that and also that you said there would be a white party - it's hard to keep up with so much info flying around though. As I type this Louis has just started singing😍 so it must be time to leave Katakolon

• Like 3

I wanted to note that the idea for a white night and now a white party came from the VP of Crystal Entertainment. It is not like they do on Azamara and he didn't get that idea from them. But I believe he did from another cruise line.

Again, think of it as a mixer and another opportunity to socialize with your fellow guests and for those who enjoy dancing another opportunity to dance.

And when you cruise it's OK to wear white even in the winter months no matter what anyone else tells you.

Keith

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gregrat said:

I have a pair of solid white sneakers that I could wear with the white pants and shirt if sneakers would be appropriate in the evening.

Comments?

I think that would be fine.

I had the misfortune of my dress shoes breaking on day two of my last Crystal cruise in 2019.  The shop didn't have any of the ballet flats that fit me.  I had to wear my white walking shoes/sneakers/trainers for the rest of the trip. (We had just departed from Valparaiso, Chile.  Not many shoe shopping opportunities on Easter Island or Pitcairn!!)  I saw a couple folks "notice" my feet the first couple nights but after that nobody batted an eye.  I wonder if people thought I wore them to dinner intentionally.  I got over the embarrassment quickly though!  🤷‍♀️

~Nancy

1 hour ago, Gregrat said:

I have a pair of solid white sneakers that I could wear with the white pants and shirt if sneakers would be appropriate in the evening.

Comments?

I wouldn't wear sports shoes. 

What I wear for the White Party I also wear earlier to dinner. No need to change.

I wear white pants and a colored shirt but if you want to go all white that is fine.

But I would just wear shoes.  

I usually wear something like top siders with the white pants or some other color similar to that.

JMO.

Keith

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

What I wear for the White Party I also wear earlier to dinner. No need to change.

I wear white pants and a colored shirt but if you want to go all white that is fine.

But I would just wear shoes.  

I usually wear something like top siders with the white pants or some other color similar to that.

JMO.

Keith

Thanks Keith

4 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Well, Keith, SOME of us are a bit older than you and have foot and back issues and nice shoes are now a thing of the past for us. Remember that gorgeous Cybil Shepherd? All she ever wore were Reeboks due to her foot/back issues. Even my Dad, who was a fashion plate, wore his black Reeboks on formal occasions due to leg/foot issues. If you judge me by my feet you are going so much lower! 

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I wanted to note that the idea for a white night and now a white party came from the VP of Crystal Entertainment. It is not like they do on Azamara and he didn't get that idea from them. But I believe he did from another cruise line.

Again, think of it as a mixer and another opportunity to socialize with your fellow guests and for those who enjoy dancing another opportunity to dance.

And when you cruise it's OK to wear white even in the winter months no matter what anyone else tells you.

Keith

Actually, it was E.R. who brought it from Azamara - or sold the idea to the entertainment people. Don't you remember that?

• Haha 1