Celebrity Suite Travellers

MAJ

I have just returned from my cruise on Silhouette 3rd one this year 

We were sitting enjoying a drink with another couple  of guests in the Ensemble Lounge when a group of four passing us to go into the Retreat Lounge one of them decided to 

berate us saying you POOR people having to sit in this dreary lounge when we have a beautiful one here yes the emphasis was on the word poor I was so angry I wanted to follow him in but my husband held me back 

it would have come to fisticuffs and we would probably have been put off at the next port , money talks even if it’s with bad manners 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MAJ said:

We were sitting enjoying a drink with another couple  of guests in the Ensemble Lounge when a group of four passing us to go into the Retreat Lounge one of them decided to 

berate us saying you POOR people having to sit in this dreary lounge when we have a beautiful one here yes the emphasis was on the word poor I was so angry I wanted to follow him in but my husband held me back 

it would have come to fisticuffs and we would probably have been put off at the next port , money talks even if it’s with bad manners 

There is no excuse for bad manners.  

What I find interesting is that when we sail on S-class ships in a suite, we spend more time in the Ensemble Lounge listening to the music than we do in Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge.  We've even had the bartender from the lounge come out and ask us if he could get us anything because the lounge was empty. 

A perfect retort would have been to simply reply, "well at least we get to enjoy live music!"

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MAJ said:

Hard to believe that actually happened.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Next time shoot back:  "Oh we're just fine, thanks.  Because if we were in the Retreat, we'd be forced to have more interaction with you"

Why give the jerk the benefit of a reaction, which is what he wanted.  Ignoring him makes him look foolish to anyone around.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Why give the jerk the benefit of a reaction, which is what he wanted.  Ignoring him makes him look foolish to anyone around.

Exactly, no reason to respond.

Besides, he probably had already knocked back a few adult beverages, which frequently makes people say the darndest things. 😉

• Like 2

Wow....just because they were entering Retreat doesn't mean the have either Class or Money.    Who knows -- they may have won an upgrade and were just trying to brag to impress you.    Of course the impression was the opposite of what was expected.

• Like 3

Wow! Hard to imagine something so rude could happen but I'm not surprised. Celebrity set up a hierarchy and sometimes people with more willingness or ability to spend think they are worth it. Such a conundrum...

I was taught by a High School teacher that you may be dumb or smart, rich or poor, attractive or not but you can and should treat everyone with respect and kindness and always be polite.

I feel sorry for people who need to try to put others down to feel good. What an unrewarding life.

Sort of like Bob Dylan said in the song: Gotta Serve Somebody.

Enjoy your cruise!  

• Like 2

Honestly I'm kinda put off by the title of your thread. Most suite passengers would never in a million years do or say something like that. They are no more or less rude than any other group of passengers.  Is it possible that perhaps he was trying to be funny? Obviously he was not, but sometimes especially with a few libations people think they're comedians. See it all the time on these boards as well as other social media. Not appropriate for sure, but perhaps not meant as ill intentioned as it certainly seemed. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I believe those  Retreat areas used to be Michaels Club Cigar Bar, then piano bar, then Cap Club for Elite bkfast and afternoon drinks.. Some became craft beer venues..

..so almost everyone has been there one time or another..nothing special..We just ignore braggarts and clods!

5 hours ago, MAJ said:

You probably had a better time than the person who was taunting you.

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Exactly, no reason to respond.

Besides, he probably had already knocked back a few adult beverages, which frequently makes people say the darndest things. 😉

I always found a few drinks usually reveal a person’s true colors whether they are good or less than stellar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

We have cruised in inside rooms with bunk beds and penthouse and everything in between. I would much rather drink in a lounge with music than retreat lounge. We do like the ability to show off our suite to roll call members that are interested.

Admit that we usually spend more times in the lounges than the Retreat when on S-Class ships but just the opposite on Millennium, which we only sailed once.  On Millennium when we went to the lounges there was simply too much loud conversation going on between passengers to be able to enjoy the entertaining, especially in Cellar Masters. 

I do however, enjoy interacting with the bartender in the Retreat/Michael's Club on the S-class ships and have found some to be very knowledgeable and entertaining, Cranston being one such.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MAJ said:

There is definitely an aspect of elitism with some who sail in suites, but to me that’s their insecurity wanting to show off, some who post here included, who remind us often they only book suites. But the vast majority of those who post here who do suites I think are down to earth and happy that they can. You did right to not bite although I get why you could have. To me we all have a common love and that’s cruising, once on a ship we are all totally equal, hopefully having the good time that we have paid our hard earned money to enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

There is definitely an aspect of elitism with some who sail in suites, but to me that’s their insecurity wanting to show off, some who post here included, who remind us often they only book suites. But the vast majority of those who post here who do suites I think are down to earth and happy that they can. You did right to not bite although I get why you could have. To me we all have a common love and that’s cruising, once on a ship we are all totally equal, hopefully having the good time that we have paid our hard earned money to enjoy.

Insecure people show off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My mother and I are cruising on our first CC. When we bought airline seats with allegiant she got priority everything due to checking a bag. I am carrying my bag on, so my ticket cost $100 less. She gets a better seat and boards first. Honestly, I have the money and it’s just $100, but that is $100 in my pocket. I could have spent it but don’t feel like I need to and am just as happy in coach. Frugal is not poverty. Suite is not wealth. We are equal and the class of seat or cabin doesn’t take that away. It’s just how we spend money. And yeah if you have the money and enjoy a suite, of course you should go for it. I’m thinking of a response for anyone who brags on their status or that I’m left out……hmmmmm….not to give it too much energy but to put them in place. Open to ideas.

• Like 1

Trust me, if we would have been walking in behind him, we would have had some quiet, choice words with him.  It is obvious that he has no manners.  We do not want passengers to  berate the staff or other passengers.  We have given the "evil eye", said "excuse me", etc. and we would have reported it to the Retreat Manager. They do not allow that kind of behavior!  We have also reported a Maitre'd for berating the staff, a waitress who was raising her voice and being mean to the assistant and had security called when a woman was screaming at a man for taking "her" seat on a bench (he just had foot surgery and needed to sit quickly!  Usually it is alcohol related and they will watch them very carefully. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Guera53 said:

My mother and I are cruising on our first CC. When we bought airline seats with allegiant she got priority everything due to checking a bag. I am carrying my bag on, so my ticket cost $100 less. She gets a better seat and boards first. Honestly, I have the money and it’s just $100, but that is $100 in my pocket. I could have spent it but don’t feel like I need to and am just as happy in coach. Frugal is not poverty. Suite is not wealth. We are equal and the class of seat or cabin doesn’t take that away. It’s just how we spend money. And yeah if you have the money and enjoy a suite, of course you should go for it. I’m thinking of a response for anyone who brags on their status or that I’m left out……hmmmmm….not to give it too much energy but to put them in place. Open to ideas.

Bottom line to us is flying first class in a plane gets you there no quicker, and on a ship we spend so little time on our cabin it’s not worth paying premium rates, a balcony does us. Don’t need waiting on, we keep our Deep Sleep badge on the door most days, we can tidy up for ourselves.