Celebrity Suite Travellers

MAJ

Was the comment delivered in a kidding way or in jest?  Still not an appropriate comment or remark either way.  But not typical of the vast majority of suite/Retreat guests at all that I have experienced.  I would just ignore it.  Why even report it here?

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

On 9/24/2023 at 7:42 PM, Whinenowine said:

I agree that bad behavior exists everywhere, though happily it's not been endemic on the cruises I've been on.  Generally in my experience this behavior has been the worst in those that I call the "almost haves", those knocking on the door of becoming a 'have' but aren't quite there yet.  They feel they have something to prove (the inferiority complex of these social climbers is the worst).  They feel a more compelling need to show that they belong, and the easiest way to do that is to be loud, to show off and to demean those they deem 'beneath them'.  It's sad, really, but human nature.

Well said.. perfect profile of wannabees

If we had the time off to sail frequently like some others in this forum, we wouldn't sail in suites. Because we aren't retired and have limited time to cruise/travel - we treat ourselves and stay in a sky suite. If anything, we're the idiots grossly overpaying for the same exact ship experience as everyone who paid half of what we did. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 3:24 PM, Whiteduck1 said:

Please don't worry or get upset, next time you cruise I'd just go for another line.. Let's be honest there are a certain type of people who book the Retreat.. Poor things 

Keep thinking that. 

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Keep thinking that. 

I guess we are that "certain type of people." 

My wife loves the food in Luminae and had me promise her that when we sailed Celebrity we would sail in a suite. Prior to that we have sailed in Veranda, Concierge, and Aqua.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

My wife loves the food in Luminae and had me promise her that when we sailed Celebrity we would sail in a suite. Prior to that we have sailed in Veranda, Concierge, and Aqua.  

We too have sailed in all those categories…

2 hours ago, keysey222 said:

If we had the time off to sail frequently like some others in this forum, we wouldn't sail in suites. Because we aren't retired and have limited time to cruise/travel - we treat ourselves and stay in a sky suite. If anything, we're the idiots grossly overpaying for the same exact ship experience as everyone who paid half of what we did. 

Don't understand your comments about overpaying for the exact same experience? How so?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I definitely think Luminae isn’t as good as before , but I am really picky , my sister who eats in lots of upscale restaurants and they really liked it on apex .

• Like 1

I have sailed in all types of cabins from inside to oceanview to balcony to concierge to aqua to a suite and have always been happy to share my cabin type & layout with fellow guests... I have made wonderful friends aboard the ships.... But I too have unfortunately run into guests who never learned any manners ... I always looked on them as a joke --- just ignore them and when you get home you have a good sotry (make it funny) to tell all your friends and at their expense....  

Continue to have a wonderful cruise and do not let them ruin it for you!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, George C said:

I definitely think Luminae isn’t as good as before , but I am really picky , my sister who eats in lots of upscale restaurants and they really liked it on apex .

"Certain type of people" here and have never had a bad experience in Luminae for food or service. It has been rare but when there was something we didn't particularly care for they were always ready and willing to bring us something else we wanted to try or they recommended.  Also, for the most part, have enjoyed the pizza and pasta in OV on difference classes of ships. Always taken care of on a 7-day cruise or 24-day cruise with different lengths in-between. But that's just our experience and others certainly will have had their own.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

"Certain type of people" here and have never had a bad experience in Luminae for food or service. It has been rare but when there was something we didn't particularly care for they were always ready and willing to bring us something else we wanted to try or they recommended.  Also, for the most part, have enjoyed the pizza and pasta in OV on difference classes of ships. Always taken care of on a 7-day cruise or 24-day cruise with different lengths in-between. But that's just our experience and others certainly will have had their own.

My sister and her husband treated there three children and spouses and 3 grandchildren to dinner in Luminae so they could enjoy that they did it on different days , she praised staff.

2 hours ago, George C said:

My sister and her husband treated there three children and spouses and 3 grandchildren to dinner in Luminae so they could enjoy that they did it on different days , she praised staff.

Interesting. Curious for clarification, they were able to bring their children, spouses and grands into Luminae? 

27 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Interesting. Curious for clarification, they were able to bring their children, spouses and grands into Luminae? 

Yes depending on how crowded they were and they charge around 25 dollars a person , less for lunch and breakfast . They were happy that there were no problems with adding her children and grandchildren.

Edited by George C

23 hours ago, keysey222 said:

. If anything, we're the idiots grossly overpaying for the same exact ship experience as everyone who paid half of what we did. 

I couldn't disagree with this more.  The suite experience on pretty much every cruise line is potentially a VERY different experience IMO.  I used to love cruising in regular balcony cabins, but once we had a taste of the suite experience...originally on Royal's Oasis class ships....we could never go back.  I am very very thankful we can afford it at this stage in our lives and I do not begrudge anyone who chooses not to.  But having a specialty breakfast spot, having a nice place where they often remember your name to go and chill when you get back from a port day, having a spot where you don't have to fight the chair hogs, not having to go to the MDR, and having someone to help you book reservations when you're told they are full, etc....is NOT the exact same "ship experience as everyone who paid half" of what you did.  

• Like 7

On 9/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, Traveling Fools said:

Yes, please define the traits of those "certain type of people who book the Retreat". You have made an unfounded categorical statement inferring that ANYONE booking a suite falls into the class of being a "certain type" .  It is a very derisive statement.

We have cruised in all classes of cabins, but now our preference is a suite.  I doubt you could pick us out in a crowd. We drink in Michaels (or whatever the name is now) because the coast of drinks are part of the fare we paid for our cruise.

We are fortunate, but with one exception not extravagant.  That exception is that at least one night for dinner we like dressing up.  Sometimes in suit and tie and sometimes in a Tux (anniversary cruises).  We do that for us and not to show off, and we have done that in all classes of cabins we have booked in the past.

Yes, sadly we have encounter two couples, ironically on the same cruise, who felt they were superior than the rest of us. One couple were soap box actors who had booked the Penthouse and the other couple was a retired U.S. Navy Admiral and his wife.  The two couples gravitated together.  They treated the other suite guests as untouchables.  Did it bother the rest of us?  Hell no! 

That said, there is no excuse for bad manners obnoxious behavior! 

Like a CC acquaintance I have made on the NCL forum (Sthrngary) is fond of saying,

"If You Can't Respond With Class, Empathy and Professionalism; Simply DON'T respond."

If you bring a tux, why not wear it everyday?

43 minutes ago, George C said:

Yes depending on how crowded they were and they charge around 25 dollars a person , less for lunch and breakfast . They were happy that there were no problems with adding her children and grandchildren.

Mind if I ask if this was recently? As I recall, I have never seen this on the X cruises we have been on and didn't know they did that. We mostly see much of the same folks that we see/have met in the Retreat Lounge/Michaels Club in Luminae for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Mind if I ask if this was recently? As I recall, I have never seen this on the X cruises we have been on and didn't know they did that. We mostly see much of the same folks that we see/have met in the Retreat Lounge/Michaels Club in Luminae for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

This was the end of June in Europe on apex , agree I think it’s a little unusual but I know you can invite people in Luminae for a price but not retreat or michaels. We do an annual music charter for last 5 years and most of the times it’s same people in Luminae and retreat year after year.  Also my sister was in a sky suite, so anyone can invite people, I tried to talk her into a upper suite.

2 minutes ago, George C said:

This was the end of June in Europe on apex , agree I think it’s a little unusual but I know you can invite people in Luminae for a price but not retreat or michaels. We do an annual music charter for last 5 years and most of the times it’s same people in Luminae and retreat year after year.  Also my sister was in a sky suite, so anyone can invite people, I tried to talk her into a upper suite.

Thanks, George. Appreciate your enlightening me to this, not that we will be doing so as it's mostly the two of us or other suite guests that we have cruised with. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thanks, George. Appreciate your enlightening me to this, not that we will be doing so as it's mostly the two of us or other suite guests that we have cruised with. 

Same here , we normally travel by ourselves. My sister was celebrating there 50th anniversary so they treated the entire family to a 12 day cruise including first class  air but they were only ones in a suite.