Vista - Early morning announcements waking up cruisers

Ron&Sue

We were on the VISTA for the transalantic London to NYC followed by a three night stay in NYC and then Insignia NYC-Burmuda_NYC.  On both ships we had to open the door to hear the announcements.  We were told if set of Channel 25 you can hear them on the TV.

Perhaps the hall speaker was outside your door?

21 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

We were on the VISTA for the transalantic London to NYC followed by a three night stay in NYC and then Insignia NYC-Burmuda_NYC.  On both ships we had to open the door to hear the announcements.  We were told if set of Channel 25 you can hear them on the TV.

The very important announcements are broadcast into the staterooms as well as the rest of the ship.  The less important ones are not broadcast into the staterooms.  Vista's management makes that decision.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Any other ports you’re willing to sacrifice? Just imagine all the FCC you might get if they cancel the next 3-4 ports?

Personally, we prefer going to the ports as advertised. Never been to Saguenay. Can one fly or drive there from the Midwest for $500 to see the missed port?

They cancelled Saguenay out of what they felt was a necessity.  According to their "Contract" with us, they didn't really have to offer any compensation, but they are.  I realize it substitutes an extra sea day for a port, but we will live with it and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:16 AM, GICNJC said:

We missed 4 ports on the Transalantic, one due to fog and the other due to Hurricane Lee.  No offer of anything to replace it despite several passengers asking.

And we had two nights in New York at a prime location. Disappointed to have missed a few stops in New England but it worked for us.

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

yes  still going on  why they need to have them in the cabin halls is beyond me

8am  today 

I am on vacation  do not need to be up that early 😈

Ouch....  not good!  Recently off the Regatta and the cruise director (Carson) was very loud and yakky on the speaker several times a day. It was annoying.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

yes  still going on  why they need to have them in the cabin halls is beyond me

8am  today 

I am on vacation  do not need to be up that early 😈

Unless you want to skip the breakfast 8 am wake up call sounds just right to me 🌞

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

In my experience it is normal for tendering commencement timings to be announced on arrival.

Normally done using the PA using hallway speakers.

we were docked

if you are in bed you cannot really hear what they are saying   & I am not jumping out of bed to find out 

YMMV

Just now, LHT28 said:

we were docked

if you are in bed you cannot really hear what they are saying   & I am not jumping out of bed to find out 

YMMV

We had just got up and could barely hear the announcement - went and opened door and could just hear Ray's voice

1 minute ago, basor said:

We had just got up and could barely hear the announcement - went and opened door and could just hear Ray's voice

We must have a speaker close by  only caught a few words of the announcement

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We must have a speaker close by  only caught a few words of the announcement

As they say location, location, location - same as the WIFI but so far it has been amazing...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Not for us.  We live in the area.

Lived in the area for nearly 70 years but it was stll fun to revisit and play tourist. Being from CT, it should not have been too much of a loss for you to miss the New England ports .Sorry if you were disappointed.

Edited by Queen of DaNile

Newport we do all the time, Boston is about 3 hours.  Bar Harborbaboutv8 hours.  Nice to visit these places without having to drive.

I still think they could have done something for the missed ports.  Even if was just an open bar one night.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

Who isn't up by 6? 

😀

My usual time at home is 8.30 - 9.00.

6 is the middle of the night and I'm not keen to be up then, not least as I'm on holiday. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 12:38 PM, Ron&Sue said:

Saguenay was canceled due to water waste treatment testing, something all new ships are tested for.  All will get FCC for missing port.

Why would they cancel the same port in 2 consecutive cruises when there are at sea days to do “water waste testing” ? Seems as it done on our NY-Mont cruise would suffice & theyd want to avoid multi thousands $$$  of credits  dispersed twice, potential of $35,000 less revenue x 2? Could there be another reason for avoiding Sequeney? Main thing & possibly only I recall is a National Park or Forest. 

I suppose this original conversation goes back to a major complaint many of us had on our March Marina cruise.

Cruisers vs Travelers.

We had a 7:00 tendering going into a port , Chacabucco to be exact. Passengers started filling into the Lounge at 6:45 or so and waited to get our tendering tickets. We sat, while the Lounge continued to fill. Covid was rampant aboard ship , yet Destination Services kept giving excuses for not starting to hand out tendering tickets. Finally at 7:30, a passenger lit up his computer to report we were nowhere near Chacabucco and by ship speed had passed it 5 hours previously. Destination Services made a quick exit from the Lounge.

At 08:00 the Captain announced we were skipping Chacabucco as if the decision had just been made. A lot of disgruntled Travelers that had been up for quite awhile, cramming in breakfast, and getting ready to go ashore.

Peter the Shoe, the absolute worst CD in Oceania’s fleet, said the Captain doesn’t want to make early morning announcements that might disturb the Cruiser’s sleep.

So there you have it. You have the OP’s side, that likes to sleep late, and my side that wants to visit the ports. Pick your team, there is no win-win or draws. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I suppose this original conversation goes back to a major complaint many of us had on our March Marina cruise.

Cruisers vs Travelers.

We had a 7:00 tendering going into a port , Chacabucco to be exact. Passengers started filling into the Lounge at 6:45 or so and waited to get our tendering tickets. We sat, while the Lounge continued to fill. Covid was rampant aboard ship , yet Destination Services kept giving excuses for not starting to hand out tendering tickets. Finally at 7:30, a passenger lit up his computer to report we were nowhere near Chacabucco and by ship speed had passed it 5 hours previously. Destination Services made a quick exit from the Lounge.

At 08:00 the Captain announced we were skipping Chacabucco as if the decision had just been made. A lot of disgruntled Travelers that had been up for quite awhile, cramming in breakfast, and getting ready to go ashore.

Peter the Shoe, the absolute worst CD in Oceania’s fleet, said the Captain doesn’t want to make early morning announcements that might disturb the Cruiser’s sleep.

So there you have it. You have the OP’s side, that likes to sleep late, and my side that wants to visit the ports. Pick your team, there is no win-win or draws. 

You need to give this 'cruisers vs. travelers' thing a rest. It's entirely possible to be both. It's actually possible to want to sleep in a bit, AND to then go about your day in a leisurely, relaxing, non-hurried way to have some breakfast and then disembark the ship to experience the port. Not everybody wants to be up at the crack of dawn in order to meet an early tour departure. Will those who choose to do the former miss some time in port, and maybe not see all that you see? Sure. But I maintain my very strong opinion that if you're truly a 'traveler' and want to experience all that a particular place has to offer, there's only one way to do it...and it's not on a cruise. For many of us, cruising offers the best of both...the opportunity to visit many places we might not ordinarily see for a day or two (and then decide if we might like to return for a longer stay), at the leisurely, non-stressful pace we prefer to that which you apparently prefer. And, yes, sometimes, we may just want to enjoy being onboard a beautiful ship for part (or even, dare I say it?) all of a day. Doesn't make us any less of a 'traveler' than you.

As far as your March Marina incident is concerned, you have no way of knowing exactly when the decision to skip the port was made; and if, as you say, that particular CD is the 'worst', then why would you trust his comment to be accurate? 

Which team? It's not a binary choice. You can do and be both.

Edited by jazznruby
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Jazznruby;

If the announcement that the port was being skipped was made at 6:30, the rest of us could have gone back to bed. The ship had long sailed past Chacabucco.

I will agree with your one point, that having sailed with Peter the Shoe previously, I don’t give a lot of credibility to anything he says.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1