Urgent help - parents passport stolen in Athens

Mark_UK

Sadly I just learnt that my parents have both had their passports stolen from their hotel room whilst in Athens. 

They are obviously distraught as due to get on Celebrity Apex on Tuesday for a once in a lifetime trip to Egypt, Israel and Turkey. 

They've spoke to an emergency embassy number who advised that a temporary travel document won't be accepted on a cruise. 

Celebrity via the phone are refusing to help as it was booked via a travel agent who are closed until tomorrow. 

Any advice..? do they just have to give up and come home? 

Edited by Mark_UK

I'm not sure whether would this help, but I found the post that was posted about celebrity emergency numbers.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2673417-celebrity-emergency-contact-phone-number/

The #5 post lists the numbers:

"Here are the numbers I was given when I called Celebrity for emergency numbers:

In Case of Emergency: 

Phone #:  1-866-755-2171 (give them your name, ship name, cabin number,  and have them leave us a message)

or call

1-877-266-1020 (give them the info below and they will transfer you to the ship; cost is $7.95 per minute by credit card." 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, xamsx said:

I see you are UK. Is there a British embassy there? 

Yeah they called an out of hours emergency line, but they said it's unlikely a cruise line will take a temporary travel document. They are so upset, in a strange country and not much I can do to help 😞

• Like 1

The British embassy should be able to issue emergency passports for travel. Can they go tomorrow in person to speak with staff? They should take their travel documents with them to prove they have travel plans. Good luck.

• Like 2

About all they can hope for is to go directly to the British Embassy early on Monday.  Possibly they will find a sympathetic agent.

Address: Ploutarchou 1, Athina 106 75, Greece
Hours:
Open 24 hours

Many Credit Card Companies have helplines for premium cards that may also help.

Not to be condescending but I hope they have travel insurance.   We were on a cruise a couple years ago and someone who had a booking in the Penthouse had their passport stolen and didn't have time to get an emergency replacement at the embassy.    They had to give up their dreamed vacation.

On the brighter side -  The ship decided to have a raffle to upgrade to the Penthouse.   The tickets were relatively expensive at $50 per ticket.    There was an elderly couple who were celebrating their 50th anniversary and were in an inside cabin.   She bought a ticket and didn't tell her husband.   It was so exciting to see her win. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 16

And no offense to the OP - but I never leave a passport, cash, credit cards in a hotel room - not even in my home country of Canada. Everything goes in a slim money belt which is comfortably tucked in my underwear (sorry if TMI). I do this even on overnight flights..

• Like 7

They have the whole day to sort it out. Is there anyone who can call the embassy on their behalf? In the US we would call our local congress person’s office as our local representative and ask them to call on our behalf for a matter to be expedited. 

• Like 2

Hopefully they can go first thing in the morning to the UK Embassy in Athens.  I’m sure you already have this, but here are some emergency numbers (hopefully they are different than what you’ve already tried)

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-athens

I wish your parents luck in being able to go. We are on the cruise right after them. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Sadly I just learnt that my parents have both had their passports stolen from their hotel room whilst in Athens. 

They are obviously distraught as due to get on Celebrity Apex on Tuesday for a once in a lifetime trip to Egypt, Israel and Turkey. 

They've spoke to an emergency embassy number who advised that a temporary travel document won't be accepted on a cruise. 

Celebrity via the phone are refusing to help as it was booked via a travel agent who are closed until tomorrow. 

Any advice..? do they just have to give up and come home? 

Hoping the best for your parents and that the British embassy can help so they don't miss their cruise. A friend of ours is in Greece right now for a family wedding and had her passport stolen. The Canadian embassy can provide her a replacement, it cost her $435 CAD which is nearly 3x what a 10 yr passport normally costs. 

Not sure why they would say that a UK emergency passport would not be accepted for cruise. Do not know about the restrictions on their emergency passports.

However with US passports an emergency passport works just fine. We are currently on a small 50 passenger ship (Elixir Elysium). One of the passengers had their passport stolen, was able to get an emergency passport good for 6 months and was able to board just fine.

I would suggest having them get an emergency passport as soon as the embassy opens (they are going to beed that anyway). While they are doing that you can do more research into the nature of a UK emergency passport, when they expire and if there are any limitations that would prevent them from bring accepted by Celebrity.