Urgent help - parents passport stolen in Athens

Mark_UK

6 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Food per passenger per day in main stream lines run maybe 15 dollars per person per day according to 10q filings. The variable costs are pretty small. Most costs for a given cruise are fixed (personnel, fuel, etc)

You are assuming that there is a cabin that will be sailing empty in a week or two. Which there might or might not be. even if there is today, it might be booked by the start of the cruise. if the the cruise line gives it away while they is still a possibility that it might be sold there is a cost. Unless the cruise were to offer the equivalent of standby, where they could show up at the port and be let on if there was a room available after all sales was done for a specific cruise.

The cruiseline has already incurred their costs for the cruise they paid for. They could not resell the cabin.

The cruiseline knows almost exactly what will be available in two weeks. They know how many people will book within days of a cruise (not many) and how many will cancel (more than will book last minute). They have decades of data and computer models. I agree, they likely won't offer anything on a sold out cruise.  

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Everyone agrees that the cruiseline has no fault here.  Rebooking another cruise at a decent rate is called a 'good-will gesture'.  It costs Celebrity nothing and will impress a whole lot of cruisers who will appreciate the gesture and spread the word.

Uh, no, It won't cost "nothing". A cabin that they could have sold for $2,500 is now sailing empty. If they essentially refund that by crediting it against a new cruise, that's $2,500 out of their pocket. 

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

If the hotel room had a safe and the passengers didn't use it most UK Travel Insurance will not help as they will claim the passengers "didn't take reasonable care". The small print in most policiesbwill require you to use a safe "when available".

This is a salutary warning to everyone - always use the hotel safe and if there isn't one carry your passports and credit cards with you in "pick pocket" proof wallets/ pockets. The same rules would apply if the docs were stolen on the ship and you had chosen not to use the safe.

Hotel safes can be worthless - it depends on how careful the hotel is with their procedures when the safes are installed.

Here is a video of a simple exploit that renders a given safe type useless unless configured properly:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

58 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

The cruiseline knows almost exactly what will be available in two weeks. They know how many people will book within days of a cruise (not many) and how many will cancel (more than will book last minute). They have decades of data and computer models. I agree, they likely won't offer anything on a sold out cruise.  

Sure, but there is still  the issue of creating an expectation that they will do so in the future. Courts like consistency treating different people differently in similar situations is not to a companies benefit.

Currently on a Greek Islands cruise on the Elixir Elysium (formerly the Celebrity Xpedition). One of the people on our cruise had their passport stolen out of a zipped bag that they were holding under their arm. Fortunately for them our cruise is all within Greece and they were able to get a temporary passport from the US embassy.

19 minutes ago, beenonafew said:

Hotel safes can be worthless - it depends on how careful the hotel is with their procedures when the safes are installed.

Here is a video of a simple exploit that renders a given safe type useless unless configured properly:

For insurance purposes the issue is not how safe a safe is. Use the safe and you are covered. Choose not to use the safe and you aren’t.

Similar situation to leaving bags in a car. Leave your bags in the cabin and a lot of insurance companies will claim you left your bags “unattended” lock bags in the boot (trunk) out of sight and you are covered.

43 minutes ago, beenonafew said:

Thank you for taking the time to post this "public service video" as you first post on Cruise Critic!

It is valuable information for all travelers.

Mike and Mary

• Like 2

Hi all, 

I hadn't meant to spark a big debate - no suggestion here that Celebrity have done anything wrong, apart from being pretty unhelpful when we first contacted the call centres with what felt like an emergency. 

The cruise they were due on is not full, as of earlier this week there were quite a few empty cabins, including in the category they were sailing in. My parents also paid quite a substantial amount for a non-refundable successful MoveUp bid which they will now no longer use - free money for Celebrity. 

So they have not used an otherwise probably empty room, will have had no food or use of their all inclusive drinks package or promotional onboard credit worth $800. 

I therefore don't think it's unreasonable to hope, that as a gesture of goodwill in the unique circumstances, Celebrity would be willing to transfer their booking to an identical sailing in three weeks time, also with empty rooms available, at a reduced cost. 

Other companies have shown compassion, such as British Airways in getting them home without charging what they could have done. 

My parents now have their emergency passports and fly home tomorrow. They are expecting to hear a decision from Celebrity once it's confirmed they didn't in fact board, hopefully later this week. 

Edited by Mark_UK
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Hi all, 

I hadn't meant to spark a big debate - no suggestion here that Celebrity have done anything wrong, apart from being pretty unhelpful when we first contacted the call centres with what felt like an emergency. 

The cruise they were due on is not full, as of earlier this week there were quite a few empty cabins, including in the category they were sailing in. My parents also paid quite a substantial amount for a non-refundable successful MoveUp bid which they will now no longer use - free money for Celebrity. 

So they have not used an otherwise probably empty room, will have had no food or use of their all inclusive drinks package or promotional onboard credit worth $800. 

I therefore don't think it's unreasonable to hope, that as a gesture of goodwill in the unique circumstances, Celebrity would be willing to transfer their booking to an identical sailing in three weeks time, also with empty rooms available, at a reduced cost. 

Other companies have shown compassion, such as British Airways in getting them home without charging what they could have done. 

My parents now have their emergency passports and fly home tomorrow. They are expecting to hear a decision from Celebrity once it's confirmed they didn't in fact board, hopefully later this week. 

I'm rooting for your parents that Celebrity pulls through with a successful outcome. Do not give up hope. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Currently on a Greek Islands cruise on the Elixir Elysium (formerly the Celebrity Xpedition). One of the people on our cruise had their passport stolen out of a zipped bag that they were holding under their arm. Fortunately for them our cruise is all within Greece and they were able to get a temporary passport from the US embassy.

Heads up about Barcelona Airport.. do not keep your small bag in top of a luggage cart wheelie.  Woman on airport check in line next to.ours had hers bag with tix and passport stolen. 

When she discovered it  was gone moments later, she screamed

Authorities sealed the area but thief got away.  The victim coud not fly home without her passport..so close..very frustrating

Many thefts there in Restaurants, on the streets, in markets.   BCN.."City of Thieves"  but seems it can happen anywhere!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hcat said:

Heads up about Barcelona Airport.. do not keep your small bag in top of a luggage cart wheelie.  Woman on airport check in line next to.ours had hers bag with tix and passport stolen. 

When she discovered it  was gone moments later, she screamed

Authorities sealed the area but thief got away.  The victim coud not fly home without her passport..so close..very frustrating

Many thefts there in Restaurants, on the streets, in markets.   BCN.."City of Thieves"  but seems it can happen anywhere!

I stupidly put my sunglasses on the table right next to my fork and gotten them stolen. Neither husband nor I saw it happen. The thieves are expert! They weren’t even expensive sunglasses, but I still felt violated and annoyed to have to replace them pre-cruise.

19 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

I stupidly put my sunglasses on the table right next to my fork and gotten them stolen. Neither husband nor I saw it happen. The thieves are expert! They weren’t even expensive sunglasses, but I still felt violated and annoyed to have to replace them pre-cruise.

I had Chanel sunglasses stolen from my lounger on a cruise ship. They were in a plain pouch sitting on top of my book. Guess she'd read the book. 😆 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I had Chanel sunglasses stolen from my lounger on a cruise ship. They were in a plain pouch sitting on top of my book. Guess she'd read the book. 😆 

LOL about the book

Forgot to say mine were stolen in a restaurant in Barcelona precruise.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, newtocruiseinblue said:

I was told by my TA to always keep it locked in the hotel safe and walk around d with a color copy.

In the U.S. you can order a Pass Port card at the same time you order your PP.  It contains all the relative information contained on the face page of your PP, including photo.  It isn't a substitute for a PP, but eliminate the need to make copies of your PP. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

In the U.S. you can order a Pass Port card at the same time you order your PP.  It contains all the relative information contained on the face page of your PP, including photo.  It isn't a substitute for a PP, but eliminate the need to make copies of your PP. 

You could also lose that.  I always have a picture of my PP on my phone and on my google drive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I'm rooting for your parents that Celebrity pulls through with a successful outcome. Do not give up hope. 

Thank you. We are waiting to hear still. Having looked at their insurance coverage it seems like the cruise won't be covered, certainly not anywhere near close to the original cost 😕

5 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Having looked at their insurance coverage it seems like the cruise won't be covered, certainly not anywhere near close to the original cost 😕

That is sad, but having looked at our own insurance I am not surprised.

It certainly re-enforces the importance of keeping travel documents safe at all times.

I hope Celebrity decides to help them out.

I'm so sorry that happened to your parents.  Is it possible their credit card may cover their losses?  Some credit cards offer travel insurance.  It may be worth a try.  Good luck.  I hope they are able to sail for a reduced cost in a few weeks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, slk1000 said:

I'm so sorry that happened to your parents.  Is it possible their credit card may cover their losses?  Some credit cards offer travel insurance.  It may be worth a try.  Good luck.  I hope they are able to sail for a reduced cost in a few weeks.

Unfortunately loss of travel document coverage is not normally included in many (even most) policies. Pretty much need a cancel for any reason level policy. Have not seen it in any credit card policies.

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

One question did the hotel your parents stayed in use electronic card access control to the rooms or old fashion physical keys?

I asked them the same last night. The hotel suspect someone is able to clone the electronic keycards as this has happened a number of times. The CCTV  also shows 4 masked men going into the property. This particular hotel has 3 buildings located near eachother, only 1 of which has a reception. Parents were placed in one of the annex buildings. 

On 9/25/2023 at 9:37 AM, wrk2cruise said:

I keep scanned copies in a folder on my google drive so I can access from anywhere.

I do too. Other options are sending them to yourself as an attachment to an email. A photo saved on your phone can also be helpful 

9 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Passport cards have your name, photo, and date of birth but unique numbers and dates can be different. I would still want to have the information from my passport 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Thank you. We are waiting to hear still. Having looked at their insurance coverage it seems like the cruise won't be covered, certainly not anywhere near close to the original cost 😕

Wishing them the best! Have they checked to see if they have any coverage for the theft through credit cards or possibly even homeowners insurance, although I’m not sure how UK insurance works.

Unfortunately Athens is notorious for petty thievery and pickpockets.

The Metro system in particular is plagued by them.

Some years ago I caught a miscreant trying to unzip my wife's handbag on an up escalator. I'm not proud to say in the ensuing struggle I punched and kicked him hard. Fortunately he ran off.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 2