Any reason to bring Covid Vaccine Record onboard?

FlaMariner

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Djptcp  John Heald made it perfectly clear in several press announcements and videos that Carnival has no intention of bringing back any covid protocols.

image.png.ed5db4f8bc82ca8471dc1c9c97a09dd8.png

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-makes-big-statement-on-return-of-covid-rules

image.png.fd42954a5fb8b8a0954dfacb72b4d73a.png

What John Heald may or may not intend to do will be very quickly reversed if any country reinstates COVID regulations. 

• Like 4

On our river cruise in August, when we assembled in Prague for the 'Prague extension', we were asked for our Covid certs even though they are not required in any of the countries we were visiting. I would carry in case events turned during my cruise, sea or river. Ken 

Edited by CruiseIreland
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

What John Heald may or may not intend to do will be very quickly reversed if any country reinstates COVID regulations. 

Of course.

I was replying to the rumor that cruise lines were thinking of returning to protocols.

They aren’t.

Covid is here to stay. 

Having spent a month in Japan earlier this year and knowing how strict they are on any number of issues from COVID to body temperature checks to immigration to customs to whatever else they decide to monitor, there is absolutely no way I would travel to Japan with every bit of evidence I have, especially since it involves a couple of vax cards. 

Could care less what a cruise company says.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, shippmates said:

I have my vaccine card in with my passport.  I will be taking it as I just got the new booster last week.  I was really glad that I could get it before I boarded a ship this week.  I know it takes 2 weeks to get the full effect of the vaccine but I will have some when I get on the ship.

3 hours ago, jljcruise said:

It's a no-brainer to me with Covid on the upswing again. The card takes up no room in the back of my passport and on my phone. If I never need it, fine. I don't want to regret not bringing it if a country we visit suddenly changes their mind and requires it. Simply, be prepared or be willing to possibly skip a port.

Igor 

l got my “new” Covid vaccine last week and keeping the record with my passport. You never know …

• Like 2

I'd second the statement that bringing your records may save your trip and will definitely not hurt. With boosters, things are a bit messy (the people screaming at the US gub'mint to stop helping have got their wish, so welcome to not knowing where and when you can get it, whether it will cost you, or how to ensure it gets into your record) but at worst, you'll have the paperwork they gave you at the clinic.

From what I understand, some smaller countries/ports are not allowing cruise ships right now to prevent spread, and I'd expect Japan, where they're currently having what they've called a "tourist crisis" (too many) to implement some means of ensuring people aren't entering the country sick.

Being fresh off a cruise where apparently many of those people coughing and sneezing on the ship didn't have "just a cold" after all, I'd add - take a test before you travel. They're free again. If it's positive, use your travel insurance and don't go. Don't sicken your fellow passengers like people apparently did on our ship.

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Reference please. I can find nothing to substantiate this claim. 

That was a quick search! 😀 Example: our forthcoming cruise had a stop in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua that we assumed was cancelled due to security concerns, but upon further research is due to Nicaragua requiring vaccination or negative PCR for entry.  

Embassy link: https://ni.usembassy.gov/alert-updated-entry-requirements-for-nicaragua/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

That was a quick search! 😀 Example: our forthcoming cruise had a stop in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua that we assumed was cancelled due to security concerns, but upon further research is due to Nicaragua requiring vaccination or negative PCR for entry.  

Embassy link: https://ni.usembassy.gov/alert-updated-entry-requirements-for-nicaragua/

I think your link is out of date.  I believe requirement for proof of vaccination was lifted on 22 July, 2023.  Although we take our proof of vax withnus when we travel.... just in case.

Edited by d9704011

Just now, d9704011 said:

I think your link is out of date.  I believe requirement for proof of vaccination was lifted on 22 July, 2023.

If you've got a link for that, I can pass it on to the others discussing it - meanwhile, cruise stops there still being cancelled.

15 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

If you've got a link for that, I can pass it on to the others discussing it - meanwhile, cruise stops there still being cancelled.

Well, here is a link from the UK government (the actual date I got from a travel site.... it's not so important given the UK info):

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/nicaragua/coronavirus

Here is an updated US State Department page... see the entry requirement portion:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Nicaragua.html

Edited by d9704011

I think a lot of discussion is superfluous. Doesn't matter what Carnival is doing or what other parts of the world are doing.

The OP is going to Japan.  Japan can change regulations in a drop of a hat, as we saw in May when regulations (not involving COVID vax) were changed overnight.

And it is something as simple as taking an up-to-date COVID vax card.  A no-brainer of all no-brainers.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

Outdated- 

https://www.visitnicaragua.us/what-should-you-know-to-travel-to-nicaragua/

B0743270-2C37-48AC-82F0-EFFDC9021758.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

And it is something as simple as taking an up-to-date COVID vax card. 

Any idea how "up to date Covid vax card"  is defined?

I just pulled out our Covid vaccine cards and our last booster was 10/22.  I've got to think that even if a "Covid vaccine proof" is ever required again somewhere in the world, that will certainly not suffice.  

We got our flu shots Monday but no plans to get another Covid jab. 

I appreciate everyone's input on this but I think I'll just put the vaccine cards in the scrapbook and face my fate in Japan and the world (and add that extra pair of underwear to my luggage now that I have so much more room! LOL)

Enjoy the journey.......with or without the Covid card

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I just pulled out our Covid vaccine cards and our last booster was 10/22.  I've got to think that even if a "Covid vaccine proof" is ever required again somewhere in the world, that will certainly not suffice.  

I appreciate everyone's input on this but I think I'll just put the vaccine cards in the scrapbook and face my fate in Japan and the world (and add that extra pair of underwear to my luggage now that I have so much more room! LOL)

Here is a link to the current requirement for coronavirus vaccination and card in Japan (see para 3).  Japan does not use the term 'up to date', they simply indicate three shots.  Kind of moot at this point, unless things change and that's always a possibility.  If you want to save some space on your carry-on luggage by leaving your card at home, entirely up to you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Up to date simply means it shows your most current vax, whether it was yesterday or 10/22.

But wow, having just been in Japan, facing my fate in Japan because I scrapbooked a tiny piece of paper would not be even a remote possibility for me, but YMMV.

We have passport holders that have pockets-perfect for that little proof of vax card.  I will keep ours there even thought we haven't had a booster since 2022.  If it becomes a requirement to get another booster to cruise, we will.  But not until it is required.  

As for scrapbooks- during the shutdown we remodeled a bathroom. I put a time capsule inside the wall with lots of crazy 2020 happenings.  That will be my gift to the next owners of this house.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2023 at 3:15 PM, RuthC said:

My records live in the same folder as my passport, and I see no reason to remove them. They have to be somewhere, and if I leave them where they are I always know where they are. 
If I need them for any reason I can't fathom now when I am travelling, then I have them with me. 
Just makes sense to me. 

Same. We also have them on our iPhones. We just returned on Sunday from an eastern/western Caribbean b2b on an MSC ship. I had brought the cards and when we went to fill out the pre-boarding questionnaire it actually mentioned proof of vaccination. Got to the port and they never asked for it. We figured it was an old form. Anyway, can't hurt to have it.

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

You are right.   A few countries still reserve the right for proof of vaccine booster and most are less than a 270 day window from what I have seen thanks to the kind folks on the Daily..

My QR code is in my passport in case.  I have faithfully followed vaccines and boosters and have my fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kazu said:

You are right.   A few countries still reserve the right for proof of vaccine booster and most are less than a 270 day window from what I have seen thanks to the kind folks on the Daily..

My QR code is in my passport in case.  I have faithfully followed vaccines and boosters and have my fingers crossed 🤞 

Good info Kazu.....A Covid vaccine taken almost a year ago has got to be useless if the requirement is tossed out there again....The vaccine card (for me at least with the last jab 10/22) has to be useless as we go forward....in fact, if my vaccine card is acceptable, you'd have to question the purpose. 

All good and thanks......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Good info Kazu.....A Covid vaccine taken almost a year ago has got to be useless if the requirement is tossed out there again....The vaccine card (for me at least with the last jab 10/22) has to be useless as we go forward....in fact, if my vaccine card is acceptable, you'd have to question the purpose. 

All good and thanks......

No doubt the notion of 'up to date' will vary across jurisdictions.  In Ontario, here is what the most recent thinking is on that...

COVID-19_Up to Date.pdf