Experienced cruisers, what things do you do religiously now after learning from multiple cruises?

juanarcin

I always include to port city a part of my vacation and fly in a few days early.  In a few weeks I'll be flying into New Orleans and can't wait to enjoy the local food and drinks.  I always try to find the "hole in the wall" places to go.  We went out of Miami one time and I found this Cuban restaurant in I guess what they call little Havana.  It was genuine Cuban food.  We were the only people there that didn't speak the language so we just ordered by pointing to the menu.  We had a blast and it was cheap too, great food and drinks! Also our 1st introduction to Cuban coffee...yum!!!

Also, do your research...for me it's really fun for me and it makes that countdown clock go down a lot smoother. 

• Like 1

Things we do and always bring:

* We use Cruise Critic, www.whatsinport.com, www.rometorio.com, and YouTube for research.

* Check for price drops before final payment.

* A medical kit...literally a true life-saver over the years.

* A lightweight umbrella...for the searing heat, rain, and for self-defense.

* Flip plops...worn in hotel rooms, inside our cabin, at the beach and pool, in the shower,...and when feet and ankles are swollen.

* And a smile.:classic_smile:

• Like 2

I pack light, and I always bring about 4 inflatable clothes hangers. They are small and lightweight, but when inflated will hold your wet swim suit or washing 'apart' so it will dry overnight. 

Another must have is a lightweight rain proof jacket, the ones that roll up. Will keep you warm without the bulk. 

• Like 1

Always check the cruise before and after to see if you want to add one of those. 

Start the vacation when you leave home, not when you board the ship.  

If you can, take cruises longer than 7 days. 

Research port day options so you don’t return back home wishing you had done something different.  But be open to changes for the same reason.  

• Like 1

Great recommendations from CC.

Most importantly before you leave home double check that you have your passport and a credit card. 
I always bring a lightweight unstructured backpack. It is used regularly for water bottles, sweater or windbreakers, leaving your hands free, and often on the plane used for carrying iPads etc. I always have an under the seat roller bag for my wallet, boarding papers, jewelry, cosmetics, extra “ just in case” clothes. Like others we cross pack. 
A couple of more suggestions - often ships are cold, bring something warm to wear and something for cooler days off board. EXTRAs: A highlighter is good for highlighting activities on the daily flyer. Magnets for attaching papers, which there are many on the wall. A couple of hooks with magnets for hats or neck things for your room card. 
Finally I always take sunglasses and a hat.

• Like 2

I find the cabins to be so dry so I pack a small personal humidifier.  Takes up very little space and sooo much better for my sinuses.

I know a lot of people love a suite, but actually would rather book an inside and take more cruises.  As an example, we are leaving on a 9 night Canada cruise this week and paid literally $1400 total for 2 people.  I have friends in the same sailing paying $5,000 for a junior suite.  Have to decide what it is worth to you.  No right or wrong.  We would rather take a few more vacations and spend less on each….without skimping.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 12:05 PM, rtdiva said:

Great recommendations from CC.

Most importantly before you leave home double check that you have your passport and a credit card. 
I always bring a lightweight unstructured backpack. It is used regularly for water bottles, sweater or windbreakers, leaving your hands free, and often on the plane used for carrying iPads etc. I always have an under the seat roller bag for my wallet, boarding papers, jewelry, cosmetics, extra “ just in case” clothes. Like others we cross pack. 
A couple of more suggestions - often ships are cold, bring something warm to wear and something for cooler days off board. EXTRAs: A highlighter is good for highlighting activities on the daily flyer. Magnets for attaching papers, which there are many on the wall. A couple of hooks with magnets for hats or neck things for your room card. 
Finally I always take sunglasses and a hat.

Yes!  And double check for the passports before your car leaves the driveway.  One time, we were just about to leave the garage when I (Obsessively, I thought) double checked our passports.  By mistake I had picked up an address book that I kept in the same area and was the same size and color as my passport.  

Extremely lucky I checked as it is a 2.5 hour drive to the airport, plus we were going on a Transatlantic.  Even flying in one day early, no way would I have gotten my passport in time.

Needless to say, I no longer use that address book and no longer keep them in the same drawer!  All of my travel docs are in my small carryon bag.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Yes!  And double check for the passports before your car leaves the driveway.  One time, we were just about to leave the garage when I (Obsessively, I thought) double checked our passports.  By mistake I had picked up an address book that I kept in the same area and was the same size and color as my passport.  

Extremely lucky I checked as it is a 2.5 hour drive to the airport, plus we were going on a Transatlantic.  Even flying in one day early, no way would I have gotten my passport in time.

Needless to say, I no longer use that address book and no longer keep them in the same drawer!  All of my travel docs are in my small carryon bag.  

Yes, those passports!!

We have a ritual.  We double check that the passports are accounted for and in place the day before.

The morning, before we leave, we check again.

And AS we walk out the door, we BOTH look at BOTH passports, *before* we close the door behind us.  Every. Single. Time.

So far, it's worked.

🙂 

GC

• Like 3

Couldn’t agree more re- passports. That goes for tickets, meds, and anything else you must have. 
I start making a checklist weeks before a big trip. Also make sure you will have enough rx to get you through a few days past your vacation. Don’t want to realize a day before you leave you don’t have enough. Ask for vacation refill if you have to. Most pharmacies and ins companies will allow this. 
As I think of things, I add them to my list and even go so far as writing down where I want to pack them. Then I use the list to pack. And still I check before I walk out that door. 
I also print anything I HAVE to have just in case my phone dies, or I can’t get reception. 
Lastly, on passports- be aware that they have to be valid up to 6 months after the end of your trip. If that passport expires sooner than 6 months out, they will not let you board. 
Being prepared doesn’t mean you can’t be spontaneous. It allows you to relax!

13 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I worked on the NJ Turnpike as a temp years ago and they announced over the radios to look out for a certain car and send the driver inside, no other info was given.  Anyway the car came through my lane and I recognized it and sent them to the office.  A couple of months later the turnpike gave me a letter about this from the people who I helped.  Apparently, the driver had just dropped his parents off at the airport and they left their passports in his car.  Because I stopped him, he made it back to them on time and off they went.  20+ years later I still have the very nice letter form the "passport people".

Just thought some of you might enjoy this little tidbit!!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Bring carry-ons only.  You probably will never see these people again so what difference does it make if you wear the same outfit several times

Always do the early self-disembarkations when returning to home port.  You will be on your way to the airport while others are still waiting for their luggage to be off-loaded

Try to get to the departure port a day early.  This relieves a lot of stress for my husband especially

If you have a delicate GI track, bring your over-the-counter meds.  They do not sell this stuff onboard as they really want folks to be seen and cleared by the ship's doctor. {An expensive proposition} Of course, if you are really sick, you owe it to your fellow passengers to get checked out.

Leave all expensive jewelry at home.  Can't tell you the number of horror stories we have heard over the years about loss/theft of these items. Usually in the ports.

Finally, as others have said, don't let the unexpected bumps throw you.  Usually they make very good stories once you get home. 

• Like 2

Always fly the previous day and think now this is even more important as there are so many delays and we always pack some of each other’s clothes in the  suitcases in case one gets lost as we had no case one time for 4 days.  I have a checklist that I print out each time I’m going away so I can tick things off and over the years it just makes travelling much easier.   I pack pretty light as I can always do laundry and I always used to bring things home that were never worn so I now plan each day and take nothing extra so the case is a lot lighter too.  I used to always take a highlighter for the daily news sheet so I could mark what I wanted to do though on last cruise it was paperless and the daily chronicle was on an iPad so no need of a highlighter anymore. 

On 10/3/2023 at 10:34 AM, jsn55 said:

Some call us obsessive, I call us SMART!!  The choice is obvious ... spend hours in a panic over something or sit back and order another glass of champagne.  

Packing light is crucial. We make sure we can do just carry ons so no chance of losing luggage. We check on the way home when we often have bottles with liquids. 
Having clothing pieces that can do double (or triple) duty helps too. I have a very simple black dress I can use as a swim suit cover up, comfy tour dress, or in the MDR on formal nights. It can be rinsed in my room and dries fast. I have a very large scarf that is light as a feather and takes up about as much space as a pair of underwear. I can drape it or make a cape to cover my shoulders, I can use it like a belt, I can even tie my hair back with it. Another trick is little tack pins. They are a cross between earrings, buttons and a pin. Use them to make multiple accessories with a scarf or wrap. 
Also, don’t fold-roll when packing. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 11:33 AM, sydney dog said:

I worked on the NJ Turnpike as a temp years ago and they announced over the radios to look out for a certain car and send the driver inside, no other info was given.  Anyway the car came through my lane and I recognized it and sent them to the office.  A couple of months later the turnpike gave me a letter about this from the people who I helped.  Apparently, the driver had just dropped his parents off at the airport and they left their passports in his car.  Because I stopped him, he made it back to them on time and off they went.  20+ years later I still have the very nice letter form the "passport people".

Just thought some of you might enjoy this little tidbit!!

Awesome!  We would have had to have someone either drive to Omaha (2.5 hours) before our flight, probably not possible, or take a last minute flight to Miami to give us our passports.   Almost a costly mistake!

20 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

I have a list from 15 years ago which I update if I happen to think of something, but that hasn't happened for several years.

If you are leaving the US, make sure to take any medications that you could possibly need, both OTC and prescriptions.

And enough for a few days extra.  We were stranded in McAllen Texas for 4 days last year due to an ice storm in Dallas.  At least, being in the states, we could have gotten our prescriptions filled if needed.  Not so with international travel.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Bring carry-ons only.  You probably will never see these people again so what difference does it make if you wear the same outfit several times

Always do the early self-disembarkations when returning to home port.  You will be on your way to the airport while others are still waiting for their luggage to be off-loaded

Try to get to the departure port a day early.  This relieves a lot of stress for my husband especially

If you have a delicate GI track, bring your over-the-counter meds.  They do not sell this stuff onboard as they really want folks to be seen and cleared by the ship's doctor. {An expensive proposition} Of course, if you are really sick, you owe it to your fellow passengers to get checked out.

Leave all expensive jewelry at home.  Can't tell you the number of horror stories we have heard over the years about loss/theft of these items. Usually in the ports.

Finally, as others have said, don't let the unexpected bumps throw you.  Usually they make very good stories once you get home. 

I can pack in a carry-on if necessary and would really rather do that.  Especially as we have aged it's harder (more meds) and also harder when gone from two to sometimes six weeks.  I do admit to having trouble with shoes!  Lucky I have smaller feet.

I just thought of one more thing. If you buy anything ( like jewelry or booze) on board or in port where they give you a discount for being from your ship, it is reported to customs in the ship manifest. That means if you don’t declare it when returning home customs will know. 
Cautionary tale: Traveling with family for mom’s 75th birthday. My sister bought her boyfriend an expensive watch on board. He figured he could just wear it and customs wouldn’t know. They were pulled into “the little room” and customs officers went through their luggage. My sister had a receipt for jewelry she bought for my mom as a gift. Of course they asked, “where are the diamond earrings?” She said “I gave them to my mom. She’s over there”. So mom and dad get pulled into the little room and interrogated. Customs discovered the jewelry my dad had given mom, none of which was declared. They ended up having to pay not only the custom taxes, but some heavy fines, and almost got arrested. On top of that, they missed the transfer bus to the airport and almost missed their flight. Moral of the story- declare what you are supposed to. Or at least, don’t keep receipts or buy on board if you don’t plan on declaring. 

5 hours ago, Szt said:

I just thought of one more thing. If you buy anything ( like jewelry or booze) on board or in port where they give you a discount for being from your ship, it is reported to customs in the ship manifest. That means if you don’t declare it when returning home customs will know. 
Cautionary tale: Traveling with family for mom’s 75th birthday. My sister bought her boyfriend an expensive watch on board. He figured he could just wear it and customs wouldn’t know. They were pulled into “the little room” and customs officers went through their luggage. My sister had a receipt for jewelry she bought for my mom as a gift. Of course they asked, “where are the diamond earrings?” She said “I gave them to my mom. She’s over there”. So mom and dad get pulled into the little room and interrogated. Customs discovered the jewelry my dad had given mom, none of which was declared. They ended up having to pay not only the custom taxes, but some heavy fines, and almost got arrested. On top of that, they missed the transfer bus to the airport and almost missed their flight. Moral of the story- declare what you are supposed to. Or at least, don’t keep receipts or buy on board if you don’t plan on declaring. 

Playing games with Customs is about the most naive thing ever.  I'm glad they didn't actually get arrested.  When you're out of the US, pay attention to the 'rules' and don't try to play a game that you can't win.  Big thread going round in CC about carrying your passport when you're in port.  People want to argue about it, it's obvious that they have no idea what will happen when asked to produce it in port.  T'ain't worth it!!

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Playing games with Customs is about the most naive thing ever.  I'm glad they didn't actually get arrested.  When you're out of the US, pay attention to the 'rules' and don't try to play a game that you can't win.  Big thread going round in CC about carrying your passport when you're in port.  People want to argue about it, it's obvious that they have no idea what will happen when asked to produce it in port.  T'ain't worth it!!

For sure. With my parents it really was just a case of them not thinking. My sister (a lawyer by the way) was trying to be sneaky. I was already outside when this all happened. No cared about the $10 trinket I bought. I was ushered on to the bus and not allowed to wait for them. I was totally panicked. I thought my dad had a heart attack or something.