When ‘Free at Sea’ is not Free at At Sea

PollyMurg

17 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Is this charge being applied to drinks bought in Spanish waters? If so it is already mentioned in the T&Cs plus it has been all over the cruise bloggers/vloggers pages recently.

No we are only sailing from France to Italy and back. Not in Spanish waters

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Old news...as opposed to fake news.

Unfortunately, it's all too real.

We are the first cruise that this has been applied to. We are going from France to Italy and back. We are aware of Spanish waters. Thank you for your input ☺️

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

@PollyMurg

The title says "When ‘Free at Sea’ is not Free at At Sea"

Why are you being charged for drinks if you have Free at Sea?  Seems like I'd be much more concerned about the $26.40 than the $4.84.

I was also confused about this.  Doesn't look like the OP has the drink package at all

• Like 1

One of the tools used in marketing is using words with multiple meanings. Words like "Free". When you have the UBP, you are "free" to order drinks without the worry of getting a large bar bill at the end of the cruise. You have "free"dom from worry. Marketing causes many people to only see "free" as in $0 cost.

I agree that it appears that this person doesn't even have the drink package, and therefore should change the thread title.

What I really find odd is that there are TWO VAT charges. A 20% VAT on the drink cost AND another 10% VAT on the gratuity.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

@PollyMurg

The title says "When ‘Free at Sea’ is not Free at At Sea"

Why are you being charged for drinks if you have Free at Sea?  Seems like I'd be much more concerned about the $26.40 than the $4.84.

You're not being charged for drinks.  You're paying a tax on the purchase of the drinks.  Value Added Tax or VAT is like a sales tax in the European Union.  Many would like to insititute a VAT here in the US so our government could have more of our money.  None of this VAT goes to the cruise line, it all goes to the European Union.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

You're not being charged for drinks.  You're paying a tax on the purchase of the drinks.  Value Added Tax or VAT is like a sales tax in the European Union.  Many would like to insititute a VAT here in the US so our government could have more of our money.  None of this VAT goes to the cruise line, it all goes to the European Union.

@RocketMan275 Take a closer look at the picture OP posted.  That receipt includes a charge fo the drinks themselves.

• Like 2

I have never seen tax applied to a gratuity. That is indeed very odd. Might be because it’s also considered a “service charge” which might be taxable.

I pay tax on everything I buy at home so this isn’t outlandish to me but taxing on gratuity is very odd. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, but OP is complaining about the two VAT charges, the ones circled.

Don't you find it odd that a supposed (based on OP's chosen title) Free at Sea is being charged for those drinks? That was my point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't you find it odd that OP circled the two vat charges and not the drink charges?

LOL. Well, yeah I do. Hence the question I asked: 

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

OP...you sure you have Free at Sea?  IF so, you need to go to Customer Service and show them how you were charged for drinks.

As far as where you sailed, didn't you originate in Barcelona?  I know the Epic sailed from Barcelona on Sept 24.

Something's not adding up here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, somebody has to pay for all of that "free" stuff, right? Free education, free healthcare, free parental leave, etc... But in all seriousness, the fact that there are $9 worth of gratuities and taxes is pretty shameless.

Edited by DCGuy64