No more check in on the website-app only

BND

It's being reported on another site by several people that anyone checking in for a cruise now has to use the app and can no longer do it on the website.  Doesn't bother me but someone without a smart phone won't be happy.  Anyone checking in today and finding this?

If true all that will do is to cause more people to show up at the port without having checked in, slowing things down.

Given that it is the weekend, and we all \know Royals IT track record over the weekend I would say this is a glitch,  I feel that something as big as this would have warranted an announcement.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If true all that will do is to cause more people to show up at the port without having checked in, slowing things down.

Given that it is the weekend, and we all \know Royals IT track record over the weekend I would say this is a glitch,  I feel that something as big as this would have warranted an announcement.

This does not look like a glitch.  It's a screen grab that someone posted who was checking in today.  It also looks like as usual there is some disparity based on comments on the FB page this was on.  Some were able to still check in online if they scrolled down, but someone else said it just looped them back. But, I do see this as the future either way.

May be an image of phone and text that says 'CHECK IN NOW! We've gone mobile! Check in on the app Scan your passport, on your sail day. boarding pass, and save time Won't have a mobile boarding pass? View check-in procedures> NT the App Store Google Play'

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, cruisin from florida said:

So there's a link for check in procedures for folks who won't have a mobile boarding pass. If you clicked that link, what did you find out about those?

I didn't post this.  Someone else did.  As I said above, some said they were able to check in online and at least one other said it just looped back.  We're cruising in three weeks and in 3 months so I don't have a check in to do right now.  I did ask if anyone had seen this in my original post.  Just looking for anyone else's experience since no one else had posted this on here today.

Edited by BND

I saw this on FB as well, and went to see if I could see anything on my login page. Unfortunately, I do not have any available that I have not already checked in for, as I checked in for Odyssey 2 days ago.

Maybe I do not want to admit it, but I guess it is possible I am getting old and stuck in my ways. 😐

I prefer doing it on my Mac, even though I love to use my phone for many things. I have many things saved on the computer that it only takes me about 2 minutes to check in, and it would take me longer on a phone. I will clearly do it if they force me, but I wish they would leave the option on the website. Oh well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

So there's a link for check in procedures for folks who won't have a mobile boarding pass. If you clicked that link, what did you find out about those?

It says "Print this page (just your names and booking #) and show up at the port to see an agent."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, doghog said:

I prefer checking in online, but I have no issues chalking in using the app either. I've never taken our pictures or scanned our passports pre cruise. I still print and show our boarding passes. I don't use my phone.

I wish I could have checked in on line, but could not.  Had to use the app on phone.  Never had that problem before, but times change. 

Still cannot print our boarding passes from my phone and of course royals site says

"

View and print your documents

You have no cruise documents available at this time
At least the only thing we have to do it our Health check 2 days before cruise.  So we are ready to go.

• Thanks 1

I checked in on Friday. The app wouldn’t work. I had to use the website. I couldn’t just pick arrival time, I had to actually go through all the steps to get to it. Got errored out once and had to restart the process. Finally all checked in after 20 minutes and was able to get the 10:30 slot, but what a pain. When I was done it told me to refer to the app which worked the next morning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, home-mom said:

I checked in on Friday. The app wouldn’t work. I had to use the website. I couldn’t just pick arrival time, I had to actually go through all the steps to get to it. Got errored out once and had to restart the process. Finally all checked in after 20 minutes and was able to get the 10:30 slot, but what a pain. When I was done it told me to refer to the app which worked the next morning. 

I'd like to see the pick your check in time go away. 

5 hours ago, BND said:

It's being reported on another site by several people that anyone checking in for a cruise now has to use the app and can no longer do it on the website.  Doesn't bother me but someone without a smart phone won't be happy.  Anyone checking in today and finding this?

I can only tell you that I have, in the last 6 days, checked in (via website) for November cruises on Allure and Odyssey.  This does not say the OP is wrong but maybe it is not fleet wide yet!

2 hours ago, Miloomar said:

Well since they can time travel from 2012 or earlier, I'd like to speak with them

Well, you obviously haven't read previous threads about the app on here.  They all have posters who comment that and state there are lots of older people without smart phones.   I actually met someone last week in our community who has a flip phone and has no access to apps, so they do exist.  

• Like 1