Live from Vista—Montreal to Miami

DrKoob

9 hours ago, DrKoob said:

And so far, the food on O is about a mile and a half ahead of V. 

I would like to hear direct food comparisons on both lines when you can.  We did a 21 day O cruise this last January and I was not wowed.  As somebody who has sailed VO a lot I would like to hear more specifics.

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, agree, we all have different priorities and preferences.

Personally I never had any issues with one device for the internet - it takes exactly 10 seconds to switch. But they now include 2 devices which should be more than sufficient.

I don't know what people do in their cabins that they need more than 240 sqft, but we don't come to a cruise to spend time in our cabins. For us, it's more than sufficient, the bathrooms and the showers on the newer O ships are very spacious and there is plenty of storage.

We just booked FV on 2 cruises on Vista for 2025 at $320-350 USD per night. This is before any perks and rebates. If you drink, it will be $40 to upgrade to the drink package. The cheapest I have seen on Viking is $500-550. And O prices now include drinks at meals (same as V) and shore credit. Honestly, if I wanted to spend $500-550, I would book SB or SS, not V.

But as many say, to each their own.

Thank you again for your reports, highly appreciated.

Switching is just a pain. There are seven of us together trying to coordinate meals and shore excursions. If someone is logged off, they don't get the text. Also, doing these posts and answering questions takes quite a bit of time. My bride does NOT like being offline that much. So, I get up at 4:30 a.m. to write. 

As to what I need the space for, I am tired of bumping into that bed every night when I get up in the dark. And no, I can't leave the nightlight on; we need complete darkness to sleep. On my side of the bed (close to the bathroom), there is less than 18 inches of space. Probably closer to one foot. And if you want to know why we spend time in our rooms, how about getting quarantined? It still happens. It happened to us last year. I want a room at least half the size of my bedroom at home. 

Right now, I don't have time to do the total calculations but I promise I will before the final post on this thread. I do know (I am a travel professional) that they just about equate out when you put them all together. That said, we just booked a 2025 cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

I would like to hear direct food comparisons on both lines when you can.  We did a 21 day O cruise this last January and I was not wowed.  As somebody who has sailed VO a lot I would like to hear more specifics.

I promise to do that when I sum this up but here's a taste of my opinion. I use what I call the "Steve Rule" when it comes to evaluating specialty restaurants. My brother Steve wrote in his evaluation of our Viking cruise last September, "I always ask myself, it I dined in this restaurant at home, would I come back again." The answer to that with both restaurants on any Viking ship is NO. Manfredi's and Chef's Table were not impressive at all. But last night we ate dinner in Toscana and I can tell you as a grandson of a native Sicilian, it was one of the finest Italian meals I have ever eaten and we would go back in a minute if we could get a reservation. More later, I promise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

So does O. Although their written rule I believe limits you to 6 bottles in reality that limit isn't enforced by all reports.

For wine yes they do. But not for hard liquor so if I want to bring a bottle of gin to make G&Ts, forget it. Also, if I take one of those bottles of wine up to a restaurant I have to pay $25 to have them open it. On Viking, that's free. 

5 hours ago, Elbig said:

Try Regent

Considered them (and Seabourn, WIndstar, etc.) but not interested for a couple of reasons. The biggest being price but also the size of their ships. Much prefer 900-1000. More choices. 

2 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Hi Jim.  Enjoying your review.  We got off the Regent Mariner the day you were in YUL.  The Vista and the Mariner pretty much piggybacked each other on our cruise.  We did make it to Saguenay but believe the Vista added a sea day as we did not see them there.  

Hello to Kat.  It's been a few years since the Silhouette but still have great memories of that cruise.  Too bad about Celebrity!

MJ

Great to hear from you. We got bumped out of Saguenay due to Vista not being "waste-water certified. Mariner has been pretty much following us back to NYC. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woofa said:

@DrKoob

Thank you for bringing us along and giving your review and thoughts.  I don't think you are in any way overly negative.  As you stated above, you are a certain type of cruiser (very tech savvy, need a higher level of internet, don't care so much about spa, room size preference, etc, etc.). And you would be most comfortable finding a single line which you can be loyal to getting what you want in return.  We hope you find your niche.  We are glad you tried O and assume you will need to try most other lines to find your perfect fit.  Maybe it will be O under simply more, maybe you will find a better fit. It is your money and we feel you have the right to spend it anyway you want.  

There is no perfect line for everyone.  In today's world even more so people will have to make certain choices and most likely not get everything on their wish list (even if they spend alot more.). 

We have only taken one cruise.  We chose O and enjoyed it.  We have another booked but who knows what the future will bring?  We feel no loyalty to O and would be happy to try another line in the future if the right situation appears.  For us all of the loyalty perks short of the free cruise, while nice, are not a big deal and we have no reason to think we will never get to cruise #20 so that is basically meaningless as well.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and all your future cruises.

You are very welcome. Writing and taking pictures is something I love doing. Especially about travel. If you haven't seen my photos on my blog, you should take a look at jimbellomo.com.

We just booked another cruise for 2025 so I guess that shows we like it enough to give it another try. the dinner we had in Toscana last night was enough to make us do that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Switching is just a pain. There are seven of us together trying to coordinate meals and shore excursions. If someone is logged off, they don't get the text. Also, doing these posts and answering questions takes quite a bit of time. My bride does NOT like being offline that much. So, I get up at 4:30 a.m. to write. 

As to what I need the space for, I am tired of bumping into that bed every night when I get up in the dark. And no, I can't leave the nightlight on; we need complete darkness to sleep. On my side of the bed (close to the bathroom), there is less than 18 inches of space. Probably closer to one foot. And if you want to know why we spend time in our rooms, how about getting quarantined? It still happens. It happened to us last year. I want a room at least half the size of my bedroom at home. 

Right now, I don't have time to do the total calculations but I promise I will before the final post on this thread. I do know (I am a travel professional) that they just about equate out when you put them all together. That said, we just booked a 2025 cruise. 

I perfectly understand, for a big group that needs to communicate it could be a pain. Hopefully it will be better on the next one now when they allow 2 devices.

I can feel you about bumping into that bed as we both get up few times every night too. Never had any issues, but then again, everyone is different. If you need it you need it.

As we like to have more options, I will be definitely interested in your calculations. Meanwhile, enjoy your vacation. Booking another cruise speaks louder than any words.

13 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Considered them (and Seabourn, WIndstar, etc.) but not interested for a couple of reasons. The biggest being price but also the size of their ships. Much prefer 900-1000. More choices. 

We tried SS and enjoyed it very much. It's 600 guests on the newer ships, but still has a lot of choices (like 8 dining options). Prices are almost the same as V and entry level cabins are 300+ sqft. Very spacious.

Edited by ak1004

Dr Koob, another cruise line you could consider is the new Italian line Explora Journeys. It seems to hit on most of your desires. The introductory suites are 377 sqft.  The food is getting rave reviews from some very experienced travelers. All WiFi is covered as is liquor and wines.  The hardware is unsurpassed in the industry. My per diem for April comes out less than the 2025 Allura booking that I just made. 

On 10/6/2023 at 4:37 AM, DrKoob said:

I am a retired graphic designer. I need to work with software that lets me add media when I want it. For instance, when designing for print, I never use Word for my text, I do my creation of everything in Adobe InDesign. Doing it in another app just doesn't work for me.

Another reason I can't work offline is that I am constantly looking things up while I write this. I need to be able to grab links, look at maps, and get names spelled correctly. I have tried using Word or Pages to do this but it just doesn't work to be offline.

And my point really was that Oceania's internet policy is ridiculous in this day and age.

Nice! A fellow designer. Though I'm not retired yet. I love what I do, so I don't mind it at all. Enjoy your time on Vista. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your dining experience. My husband and I used to be loyal to Celebrity and started cruising with them back when Michelle Roux was in charge of the food. Oceana's food reminded me of what Celebrity used to be. We had our first O experience last March on Riviera. We loved it. We probably won't look back. I won't say I'll never sail with Celebrity again, but there is a very very low chance of it. My daughter and I sailed on Summit at the end of July and we dined in Blu which was wonderful, but I feel the pricing is similar to O in Aqua, but without the other added value we felt we received on O. We are booked on Vista next February for a Caribbean sailing, and are looking at Riviera again in 2025 for Alaska! Enjoy!

Edited by SSFrance69
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

For wine yes they do. But not for hard liquor so if I want to bring a bottle of gin to make G&Ts, forget it. Also, if I take one of those bottles of wine up to a restaurant I have to pay $25 to have them open it. On Viking, that's free. 

Had no issue when boarding Vista in Southampton bringing on my own bottle of Hendricks.   I asked for and received diet tonic once on board.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DrKoob said:

If you have read my posts from the start, the reason I am making this comparison is that we are trying to find a new cruise line. We like being loyal customers. We like knowing where things are on a ship—it makes us feel like we are home when we cruise. We have boiled our choice down to O and VO. 

So comparing the cost depends on what kind of cruiser you are. If you are what I call a "bare-bones" cruiser, you are right. O will be cheaper, but if you want or need the extras, it's about even. With V, I get all the internet I want as many devices as I can bring. With V, I get a FREE shore excursion in every port. I agree that you can get inside staterooms cheaper, but V has no insides—every stateroom has a verandah.

If you don't drink, O wins every time, but we do, and with V, I get free wine or beer at lunch and dinner. V's cocktail package and the price of individual cocktails are about half of what O has charged me on this trip. And if I want to have a cocktail or glass of wine in my stateroom before dinner, in PV class and above, V gives me free spirits in my mini-bar. Plus, they treat me as an adult and allow me to bring as much wine or hard liquor on board as I want. And there is never a corkage fee in any of the dining rooms. 

We did 21 days in the Med last year, and so far, the cost for us has been about even for 14 of those days with all the V perks.

Not saying I like V better. But I liked my stateroom on V a LOT better. In comparison to my Concierge Veranda, it was huge. So you would need to compare a PV on V with a suite on O to get the same size and the same perks. And so far, the food on O is about a mile and a half ahead of V. 

That's another reason we left Celebrity. They reduced their wine allowance policy from two bottles per person to one. That's ridiculous. We like to enjoy it in our stateroom and your comment mirrors my sentiment on the matter. Treat us like adults. Oceania does allow you to bring a lot of wine. If I recall correctly 6 bottles per person but don't quote me on that. I've been told by regular O cruisers that they really don't stop you from bringing more than the printed policy. 

Edited by SSFrance69

25 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

Nice! A fellow designer. Though I'm not retired yet. I love what I do, so I don't mind it at all. Enjoy your time on Vista. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your dining experience. My husband and I used to be loyal to Celebrity and started cruising with them back when Michelle Roux was in charge of the food. Oceana's food reminded me of what Celebrity used to be. We had our first O experience last March on Riviera. We loved it. We probably won't look back. I won't say I'll never sail with Celebrity again, but there is a very very low chance of it. My daughter and I sailed on Summit at the end of July and we dined in Blu which was wonderful, but I feel the pricing is similar to O in Aqua, but without the other added value we felt we received on O. We are booked on Vista next February for a Caribbean sailing, and are looking at Riviera again in 2025 for Alaska! Enjoy!

If you ever have the time and money, take X's Galapagos cruise on Flora. Out of 30+ cruises, it was the best. Best ship, best service, best shore trips. Incredible. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

That's another reason we left Celebrity. They reduced their wine allowance policy from two bottles per person to one. That's ridiculous. We like to enjoy it in our stateroom and your comment mirrors my sentiment on the matter. Treat us like adults. Oceania does allow you to bring a lot of wine. If I recall correctly 6 bottles per person but don't quote me on that. I've been told by regular O cruisers that they really don't stop you from bringing more than the printed policy. 

You are correct about six, but they won't let you bring hard liquor. One of our party loves her Gin and Tonics but she has to pay $16 for each and every one of them even though there is tonic in her stateroom refrig. V would have let her bring on a fifth or two. And if you want to drink YOUR wine with dinner O charges you $25 to open and pour it. V charges you $0.00.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Had no issue when boarding Vista in Southampton bringing on my own bottle of Hendricks.   I asked for and received diet tonic once on board.

Interesting. I called in advance and was told NO, it will not be allowed. The referenced their contract of service which says it will be confiscated and held until disembarkation. I guess it depends on who is manning the gangway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Dr Koob, another cruise line you could consider is the new Italian line Explora Journeys. It seems to hit on most of your desires. The introductory suites are 377 sqft.  The food is getting rave reviews from some very experienced travelers. All WiFi is covered as is liquor and wines.  The hardware is unsurpassed in the industry. My per diem for April comes out less than the 2025 Allura booking that I just made. 

I too am hearing good things (even though it is owned by MSC, (one of the world's worst cruise lines) but I never sailed a cruise line in its first year of operation. Plus, most of their itineraries we have already been to maybe when they have more ships.

Edited by DrKoob

7 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

You are correct about six, but they won't let you bring hard liquor. One of our party loves her Gin and Tonics but she has to pay $16 for each and every one of them even though there is tonic in her stateroom refrig. V would have let her bring on a fifth or two. And if you want to drink YOUR wine with dinner O charges you $25 to open and pour it. V charges you $0.00.

That's fair. I thought O let you bring hard liquor as well, but then I didn't really pay attention to that policy since I don't drink it.

44 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Interesting. I called in advance and was told NO, it will not be allowed. The referenced their contract of service which says it will be confiscated and held until disembarkation. I guess it depends on who is manning the gangway.

I know several people who have brought hard alcohol aboard O ships. I never saw them question anyone about it when boarding.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

That's fair. I thought O let you bring hard liquor as well, but then I didn't really pay attention to that policy since I don't drink it.

3 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Sorry, but you can take hard liquor aboard Oceania ships for use in your own stateroom.  There are several threads on this topic on this board. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DrKoob said:

We have brought hard liquor onboard many times and, in fact, brought hard liquor onboard this Vista cruise at embarkation and at a port... I am sorry you received bad information.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrKoob said:

In practice O is fine with guests bringing on hard liquor to drink in their cabins. We have done so many times. We even ordered empty snifter glasses several times for our armagnac one cruise, no problem. 

True on the corkage. 

Edited by babysteps
  • Like 2

It is troubling when unreliable 'information' permeates these boards.  There are many threads where bringing wine/liquor onboard is discussed.

We have sailed on Oceania pretty much every year for the past 15 years.  We always bring wine onboard at our embarkation port - usually a mixed dozen sourced from a local liquor store.  Occasionally we also bring on some spirits.  We top up along the way where necessary.  Cabin staff are excellent at providing glassware, ice, mixers etc.  We are happy to pay the corkage fee when we take wine to dinner, which we regularly do.

One of the pleasures of sailing on Oceania is being treated as a responsible adult!

• Like 6