Boarding for Four Star Mariners

RiciRicardo

9 hours ago, RiciRicardo said:

Quick question. We are boarding the Noordam in San Diego on Sunday. As for star Mariners I thought we could board anytime. We keep getting reminded to board at 2,20. I’m confused

You can disregard the reminders and hop on in - they'll check you in and you'll be on board, had lunch & likely received your bags well before your scheduled 2:20 time 🙂

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Noordam numbers for Sunday:

A - 11:00AM    135

B - 11:20AM    125
C - 11:40AM    123
D - 12:00PM    140
E - 12:20PM    147
F - 12:40PM    119
G - 01:00PM    123
H - 01:20PM    117

I  - 01:40PM    117
J - 02:00PM    105
K - 02:20PM    121
L - 02:40PM    108
M - 03:00PM    110
N - 03:20PM    118
O - 03:40PM    28

Embarking 1,564 guests.

No Covid questions...no VeriFly....no worries!

276 4&5 Star Mariners

18  Club Orange

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
Additional numbers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

Noordam numbers for Sunday:

A - 11:00AM    135

B - 11:20AM    125
C - 11:40AM    123
D - 12:00PM    140
E - 12:20PM    147
F - 12:40PM    119
G - 01:00PM    123
H - 01:20PM    117

I  - 01:40PM    117
J - 02:00PM    105
K - 02:20PM    121
L - 02:40PM    108
M - 03:00PM    110
N - 03:20PM    118
O - 03:40PM    28

Embarking 1,564 guests.

No Covid questions...no VeriFly....no worries!

276 4&5 Star Mariners

18  Club Orange

David

Interesting. Curious where you got these numbers. Assume they are the intended assignments to each of those boarding times, not necessarily the actual numbers. 

• Haha 1

Hi Cruiser B. 

Passenger loads are part of my preparation for every sailing from San Diego.

The numbers for each group are to facilitate check-in and ease congestion.  You might note that they are somewhat evenly divided in 20 minute intervals.

I forgot to mention that there are 91 hotel to ship and 134 airport to ship transfers sold.  All of these guests will be allowed into the terminal when they arrive regardless of arrival time on their boarding passes. Then the waiting begins inside the building. You might see them get into the terminal ahead of you, but it does not necessarily mean that they will board sooner than you.

Once the ship is ready to board, Groups A through whatever are called in sequence as the gangway allows for safe passage.

Therefore, one could arrive at the pier at noon and not board until 2... while another could arrive at 2 and board at 2. 

It is the way Holland America Line rewards Mariner Club members and those who have purchased extras.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I saw a post in another threat saying that in San Diego you're just “jammed into the terminal with everybody else & nobody asks/cares if you're in a Neptune or have Club Orange ---I thought maybe after we'd been 'checked in' we'd be sent to a different area but nope, still with the masses.”

Is that true?  Is there priority boarding or not for Neptune Suite with one person with mobility issues (will be boarding with wheelchair), regardless of Mariner status (and, in fact, first time on HAL)?  Just don’t want my mom to have to wait.

10 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Passenger loads are part of my preparation for every sailing from San Diego.

OK...but where do you get that information?  There are several websites that have the number of total passengers on each ship for each day in a port, but I have never seen this kind of detailed information about boarding published before.  It seems like that would be information that only HAL would have internally?

What is a recommended arrival time for a 3PM sail away?  We are only 3 star & have no other priority status.  Even if the example list in post # 6 is for a 4 PM sail away, 3 PM or later seems too late.  We prefer to avoid the masses.

9 hours ago, Torquer said:

OK...but where do you get that information?  There are several websites that have the number of total passengers on each ship for each day in a port, but I have never seen this kind of detailed information about boarding published before.  It seems like that would be information that only HAL would have internally?

see post #8

• Like 1

@RiciRicardo@Hobar  Sometimes you have to tell the crew checking you in that you have priority because you are 4*or above or because you have priority boarding because you have a Neptune Suite or Club Orange.  They may not see it on your paperwork.  You will still have to go through the line for check in and security.  Watch for a sign along the way that indicates a special track  for priority boarding.  If you arrive at the same time as the busses from the hotels and airport you will be part of the crowd.   Have your paperwork and ID readily available.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is not an issue to see Mariner Status on a printed sheet of paper.  It is very difficult to see it on your personal device (cell phone).

Most of the time all that is visible is the QR code (which is what is asked for) by boarding agents.

My suggestions:

PRINT THE PASS

HIGHLIGHT YOUR MARINER STATUS

TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR FOLDER/ENVELOPE/PURSE/POCKET/CARRY-ON BAG

HAVE YOUR PASSPORT IN HANDY....NOT IN CHECKED LUGGAGE!!!!

David

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, Hobar said:

I saw a post in another threat saying that in San Diego you're just “jammed into the terminal with everybody else & nobody asks/cares if you're in a Neptune or have Club Orange ---I thought maybe after we'd been 'checked in' we'd be sent to a different area but nope, still with the masses.”

Is that true?  Is there priority boarding or not for Neptune Suite with one person with mobility issues (will be boarding with wheelchair), regardless of Mariner status (and, in fact, first time on HAL)?  Just don’t want my mom to have to wait.

I am one who had a bad experience in San Diego boarding this same San Diego to Sydney cruise on Noordam last year.  We had priority boarding (Neptune Suite) and were made to stand in the sun during a Santa Ana in order to wait for our printed boarding time.

This was a year ago.  I've seen a couple of posts suggesting it's been fixed in San Diego, but I can only relay my own experience.

Enjoy your cruise.  Ours was one of the best experiences of our lifetime.

• Thanks 1

I don't believe that Neptune Suites are provided any priority embarkation.  At least my experience looking at Boarding Passes do not indicate such.

As I understand.....President's Club, Pinnacle Suite(s), 4 & 5* Mariners, and Club Orange are.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

2 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

I don't believe that Neptune Suites are provided priority embarkation.

As I understand.....President's Club, Pinnacle Suite(s), 4 & 5* Mariners, and Club Orange are.

David

Neptune Suites are definitely priority boarding. Not sure why you would think they aren't. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Banditswife said:

What is a recommended arrival time for a 3PM sail away?  We are only 3 star & have no other priority status.  Even if the example list in post # 6 is for a 4 PM sail away, 3 PM or later seems too late.  We prefer to avoid the masses.

Your arrival time is printed on your boarding pass or in Navigator.  If you want to avoid the masses then come later in the day 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lais said:

Your arrival time is printed on your boarding pass or in Navigator.  If you want to avoid the masses then come later in the day 

What you say makes sense, but I'm always so eager to get my cruise started, I'm like a kid in a candy shop and I can't help myself.

1 hour ago, sciencewonk said:

What you say makes sense, but I'm always so eager to get my cruise started, I'm like a kid in a candy shop and I can't help myself.

Many people are, like us, even after 26 cruises. Others aren't. All personal preference.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lais said:

Boarding passes are needed to get into the terminal for starters same as boarding passes for flights.  

You misunderstood. I asked why a passenger was looking at other passengers’ boarding passes, not what is needed to enter the terminal. But since you mentioned that, another cruise line with which I travel has us check in with our app, and alternatively allows us to download the boarding pass into our iPhone wallet (same as airlines). Does HAL do that as well or does HAL still require paper boarding passes?  

Edited by Hobar
Punctuation