Text messaging with other passengers without Wi-Fi

ping1

Yes, and yes. 

Please note that there are no automatic notifications that you have a message, so you need to open the app and check frequently. You will see a little red indicator in the top right of the Royal app screen if you have a message

To use the function, you have to identify (first and last name) other passengers and invite them to communicate with you. You do this in the app.

• Like 1

Go into airplane mode and turn on the wifi --- select your ship Free wi-fi. Open the Royal app and go to messages and invite others (they need to accept). Then you can communicate. Just keep checking the app periodically after that to see if you have messages. 

5 hours ago, mets07 said:

Yes, and yes. 

Please note that there are no automatic notifications that you have a message, so you need to open the app and check frequently. You will see a little red indicator in the top right of the Royal app screen if you have a message

To use the function, you have to identify (first and last name) other passengers and invite them to communicate with you. You do this in the app.

It was not for us.  You could send a message but, if it wasn't read (did mets07 say there is no audible alarm when a message arrives?), you don't know if the person got the message!  Seriously, it would be better to leave a written message in the cabin and have others write a follow-up message saying they received it!  This works better for us.  I'm in and out of the hot tub and pool.  And I frequently go back to the cabin to change anyway.

You don’t have to buy the internet package.  We were just on the Allure and one of our group did not get it.  We were able to send them messages regularly through the app.  They apparently got them, because they always replied.  Like I said, the notifications were hit and miss but I did get most notifications when I had a message

17 minutes ago, iuki said:

I was lead to believe that, in order to text each other through the app, that it costs $2.99 per person per day.  Is that no longer the case.  Both my husband and I have an iPhone 14 Pro.

Thankfully that charge is gone,  RCI tried.

I won't be surprised if they bring back the charge when they improve it functionality.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:45 PM, qkd0314 said:

In 2019 on Anthem we were able to chat with iMessage.  Anyone on here been on since then and tried?

That loophole has been plugged - you might still get notifications of messages inbound, but you won't be able to send any outbound.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, iuki said:

I was lead to believe that, in order to text each other through the app, that it costs $2.99 per person per day.  Is that no longer the case.  Both my husband and I have an iPhone 14 Pro.

That charge was dropped at the beginning of 2023. As far as phone type, it doesn't matter as you message through the RCI app.  We have Google Pixels.  We used it in April with friends.  You just have to add them and they have to agree in order to message someone.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1