Reportedly, most of the sales staff is now overseas

NutsAboutGolf

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

T/A’s financial stability has near zero impact or risk. If the TA were to fold the reservation goes back to Celebrity. 

OBC can exceed 10% and tips can be included through the end of 2025 deployment. Also refundable deposits at no additional cost. That adds up quickly. 

C.C?

We used an online agency for a decade but gave up on them when they no longer communicated by internet or phone when covid hit.

Now that agency is owned by a South American company.

A problem for Canadians is that the dollar valuation for cruises varies greatly and TAs in the US do not like Canadian pricing.  We cruise at least a dozen times a year and have yet to find a Canadian source that gives the 9-10% OBC for booking.  

I believe that any agency giving more than the 9-10% will be cut off from Celebrity if they find out.

I refuse to believe anyone that says they get more than the 10% plus refundable prices, plus gratuities over and above Celebrity pricing.  ( I would love to be proved wrong).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finding a good TA is mostly by networking.  In that from what people here have mentioned is talking to fellow cruisers on board and who they booked with.  For me I worked in the Hospitality industry for a long time and had contacts.  The one I used for a long time, she is winding down and not as active anymore getting group rates etc.  I found another by getting referred to them by a friend/fellow cruiser.  Like has been mentioned, I tend to not travel in suites as its not needed for my travels so get excellent deals from about 40%+ off plus extra OBC with the perks, which use to be tips, wifi, drinks.  Have not looked at any other cruises with Celebrity but have used them for my cruises with Oceana and Azamara (heard to many nightmares on their switch over to their new booking system)  They are also a great resource as my next big trip after my 2024 cruises will be Christmas markets in 2025  I know nothing on River Cruises and they have sent me lots of great info as they have been on multiple River Cruises.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C 2 C said:

I believe that any agency giving more than the 9-10% will be cut off from Celebrity if they find out.

I refuse to believe anyone that says they get more than the 10% plus refundable prices, plus gratuities over and above Celebrity pricing.  ( I would love to be proved wrong).

Celebrity isn't cutting off anyone. Just like TA's aren't "giving up their commission" to get your booking. No one likes to work for free. There are a number of sources of OBC. There is typically a set percentage that can be offered then several sources from Celebrity. There are essentially promotions for TA's just like there are for customers. For instance if you book a group 10+ months from sailing you get an extra $200. Then most sailings have a point system associated and those points can be turned into customer facing items which can be extra OBC. There are different types if groups but the typical group has a cancelation policy that looks like this. What's the penalty for canceling 75/90+ days out? Nothing. 

Screenshot2023-10-05at4_31_50PM.thumb.png.ece7fd1bf8a838e5076e2c7e2412a22d.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C 2 C said:

We used an online agency for a decade but gave up on them when they no longer communicated by internet or phone when covid hit.

Now that agency is owned by a South American company.

A problem for Canadians is that the dollar valuation for cruises varies greatly and TAs in the US do not like Canadian pricing.  We cruise at least a dozen times a year and have yet to find a Canadian source that gives the 9-10% OBC for booking.  

My next cruise is $4340.00

Classic drinks, basic WiFi, gratuities and refundable deposit. 

OBC is listed as $350 from the agency, $120 dinner credit that posts as regular OBC and $250 from Celebrity. Total $720 or 16% of the rate. 

Aside from that I also have $200 from Amex Platinum benefits so my grand total is $920 or 21%. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C 2 C said:

My TA almost always offers 10% or more in refundable OBC.  I've attached a screen shot with the name of the TA blacked out.  This was for a cruise in the Yacht Club on MSC in October, 2022.  You'll notice that the OBC is more than 10%.  I have had similar offers for cruises on Celebrity.  Specifically this past March when we sailed in a RS on the Solstice.  Sadly, I can't find a copy of that invoice.  I think a good TA will give as much of their commission as they possibly can while still making something for themselves...at least that's the case with the firm I use and trust.  Having said that, I don't necessarily need the biggest OBC I can find.  The value of a TA who can deliver is worth so much more than a few hundred bucks in OBC..JMO.

Edit:  we never go with a refundable deposit but always opt for the AI price.

image.png.bea508dbdf6529f55f7e2cc1afe3162c.png

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

Well, back to the original topic, which is a company moving its customer service staff overseas. The motivation is  financial, for sure. But another motivation is to insulate management from complaints. The process with off shore CSRs is often so complicated that customers just give up. And that is just what management wants.

And as to TAs, the reason many of us need them is to book flights and pre and post cruise hotels. TAs also are better able to compare cruise lines with comparable itineraries to help us find what we want for the best price.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, back to the original topic, which is a company moving its customer service staff overseas. The motivation is  financial, for sure. But another motivation is to insulate management from complaints. The process with off shore CSRs is often so complicated that customers just give up. And that is just what management wants.

Exactly why I never call a CSR with questions, concerns and complaints. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C 2 C said:

Here's what we have done for several years without any problems.

Why ?? Because our Personal Celebrity Cruise Planner never returned calls after he said " I'll look into it and get back to you " or never returned phone messages.

So, we book a future cruise while on board and receive a few extra perks ( 1 category cabin upgrade + a bit of extra OBC ( $ depends on cabin category and length of cruise ).

Immediately transfer the booking to Big Box Travel and at the end of the cruise receive a Gift Card based on 8-9% of what we paid. Never had a problem, and it's like " found money ".

Also, there is someone available all the time-- ( English and/or French speaking ).

I don't have to wait for the TA to finish his/her 36 holes of golf, or his/her 3 hr lunch or, or---to get a call back.

Again, we always had a very good Agent.

Perhaps we were just lucky ? 

3 hours ago, C 2 C said:

I refuse to believe anyone that says they get more than the 10% plus refundable prices, plus gratuities over and above Celebrity pricing.  ( I would love to be proved wrong)

I'm on your side--- Sounds too good to be true , but, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Some folks receive $$$$ thousand(s) ?? of OBC for booking suites and being a loyal customer.

I wouldn't know what to spend it on---- Holy cow, there have been threads on CC where someone had a few $ OBC left and asked " What would you do with it " ??

Now, you got me thinking of that old fart with the 32 yr old--- Again !!!

I'll bet she still has the Rolex and he has only the memories.

3 hours ago, C 2 C said:

A problem for Canadians is that the dollar valuation for cruises varies greatly and TAs in the US do not like Canadian pricing. 

The easiest ( IMO) is to book/pay in $US -- 

The TAs in the US would have to search the current exchange rate and add a " service fee " etc. etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Dolebludger said:

dog hog, with the “better” cruise lines, they can answer questions, and do so in a language I can understand. 

Back to the orginal topic, we are talking about Celebrity not the "better" so called cruise lines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, IMHO, no company of any kind that off shores it’s CSR dept. is a “better” anything.  IMHO.

They’re all doing it or have already done it.

For me, I’ll take Celebrity 8 days a week and twice on Sunday

Edited by Cruise till you drop

Good, if Celebrity offers you the content you want at the price you want to pay, go for it. But what X has done increasing Retreat prices and reducing content makes me admit that there are better deals out there for me. That’s all..

• Like 10

has anyone made final payment this week by calling in to the Celeb Line?

We will do so on Monday and hope not much has changed. 

We usually make the call, agree on final payment and give our cred card #. We wait on the tel line while the fully pd invoice is sent via e mail.  

hope we can stlll do that!

16 hours ago, chemmo said:

We have always had named contacts to make our bookings with and to follow up any issues/concerns. Are you suggesting that Celebrity UK as a contactable source for UK cruisers may go?

I hope this isn’t the case as I always use the same person at U.K. celebrity. 

I used a TA for my Regent cruise next year as I wanted advice on different cruise lines that offer similar style service to the Retreat. If I were to book Celebrity again then I would book on board or through Celebrity U.K. 

21 hours ago, chemmo said:

We have always had named contacts to make our bookings with and to follow up any issues/concerns. Are you suggesting that Celebrity UK as a contactable source for UK cruisers may go?

I rang Celebrity yesterday , my CVP was day off and I ended up with someone in the Philippines

5 hours ago, wineoclock said:

I used a TA for my Regent cruise next year as I wanted advice on different cruise lines that offer similar style service to the Retreat. 

Wineoclock,

You’re going to LOVE your Regent cruise, but it will ruin you for other non luxury cruiselines.

I will say the Regent forum on CC is a little slow, so I have to “cruise” on other fora to find interesting threads.

• Like 2