Is it smart to wait to purchase internet until on board

hpeabody

I'd like to know of recent experiences purchasing internet with the elite half off discount once you have boarded the ship.  Is it half of $14.99/$15.00 or is it still half off a higher price.  At one time there were 2 different prices.  Currently It can not be purchased with half off using the App.  I prefer not to give Princess the extra money only to be refunded the difference in OBC.  It's another and very sneaky way Princess gets our money.

1 hour ago, Therese S. said:

Last week I purchased internet for my upcoming cruise through the Princess app at $7.50 per day for those that are platinum or higher.    Look for MedallionNet on the app

I went to use the App and that is where I would be charged $15.00 per day, no 50% off option at all.  The App is and has never been quite right, it is WONKY.  I know I could call, but I am not enamoured with the new(ish) Princess call center in the Phillipines.  I miss Santa Clarita. 

• Like 1

On my Alaska cruise in June internet cost USD20 a day (24 hours) if buying one day at a time. With my 50% discount it cost USD10. I don't know how much it costs if you buy for the entire cruise when on board. I can get my 50% discount when purchasing internet before the cruise when using the app.

I've had a similar problem to the OP, where the App doesn't recognize my Elite status and doesn't give the 50% discount.  On my last cruise, I spoke to one of the agents who are supposed to help with Medallion app issues.  They said to go ahead and purchase at full price, and I would get the 50% discount once on board as OBC.   I did that, but I had a hard time convincing the person at passenger services that I should be getting a discount.  She was adamant that I shouldn't get it.  I did eventually get it, but only after going to passenger services a couple of times and arguing with them.

For my next cruise, I'm going to wait and purchase the internet while on board!

52 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

I've had a similar problem to the OP, where the App doesn't recognize my Elite status and doesn't give the 50% discount.  On my last cruise, I spoke to one of the agents who are supposed to help with Medallion app issues.  They said to go ahead and purchase at full price, and I would get the 50% discount once on board as OBC.   I did that, but I had a hard time convincing the person at passenger services that I should be getting a discount.  She was adamant that I shouldn't get it.  I did eventually get it, but only after going to passenger services a couple of times and arguing with them.

For my next cruise, I'm going to wait and purchase the internet while on board!

You should not have had to argue for it.  50% off is clearly a Platinum and Elite benefit.  Passenger services people you encountered seem not to be well trained.

I think I will be waiting until I board.  There is no reason to give Princess any extra money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pompeii said:

You can contact Princess IT and they can fix your app so it correctly reflects your platinum/elite status. Then you will be able to pre purchase it with the 50% discount if you choose. 

Can you use the chat feature to do that?  We all know what level of customer care quality you get on the phone.  But I’ve been impressed with my limited chat interactions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I'd like to know of recent experiences purchasing internet with the elite half off discount once you have boarded the ship.  Is it half of $14.99/$15.00 or is it still half off a higher price.  At one time there were 2 different prices.  Currently It can not be purchased with half off using the App.  I prefer not to give Princess the extra money only to be refunded the difference in OBC.  It's another and very sneaky way Princess gets our money.

That situation was prior to the price increases that happened quite a long time back.  Today, the price is the same pre-cruise and on-board for both single device and 4-device plans.  Your current issue is most likely that the App doesn't recognize your correct CC Member Level.  Waiting until on-board means you for sure pay the price after discount and it can be covered by OBC.

5 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Can you use the chat feature to do that?  We all know what level of customer care quality you get on the phone.  But I’ve been impressed with my limited chat interactions.

As the poster above said ... No chat can not help as they are unable to accept payments.  They recommended calling. I tend not to call Princess any more since the new call center in the Phillipines

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

As the poster above said ... No chat can not help as they are unable to accept payments.  They recommended calling. I tend not to call Princess any more since the new call center in the Phillipines

I wasn’t suggesting they could make the purchase.  I just wondered if the human on the other side of the chat had the power to fix the status so the OP could purchase online at the correct price. But it’s very possible they do not.  I wouldn’t call Princess if my life depended on it.  I make a TA do the work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That there is no 50% off option prior to boarding was the basis for my oroginal post.  You can get help from the internet cafe manager, guest services or I think even the medallion people to get signed up once on board.  You will be preesnted a screen with the price as you sign up.  It should recognize your status and be 50% off.

19 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

so where do you buy the internet onboard? At the customer desk or through the techies at the OceanMedallion help area? We are now Platinum level members so we get it for 50% off but the option to purchase it prior to the cruise does not seem to recognize this option.

You purchase it through the Medallion Net app once onboard. On our last couple of cruises they have provided a sheet with step by step instructions and it’s quite easy. Your discount is reflected when you make the purchase. Should you have any problem the team at the Medallion desk is there to help. I have found them very eager to assist. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

so where do you buy the internet onboard? At the customer desk or through the techies at the Ocean Medallion help area? We are now Platinum level members so we get it for 50% off but the option to purchase it prior to the cruise does not seem to recognize this option.

3 hours ago, hpeabody said:

That there is no 50% off option prior to boarding was the basis for my original post.  You can get help from the internet cafe manager, guest services or I think even the medallion people to get signed up once on board.  You will be presented a screen with the price as you sign up.  It should recognize your status and be 50% off.

Pre-cruise, the app should offer the Medallion Net at 50% off.  This feature has had on-and-off bugs in the past, but I thought corrected.  What may be the root cause is if the App is not recognizing your CC Member Level correctly.  Check the Sea Witch color on the edge of your photo?  Is it correct or is it Blue?

10 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

You purchase it through the Medallion Net app once onboard. On our last couple of cruises they have provided a sheet with step by step instructions and it’s quite easy. Your discount is reflected when you make the purchase. Should you have any problem the team at the Medallion desk is there to help. I have found them very eager to assist. 

Thanks! I guess I forgot to look there!