Apex due in Israel tomorrow

Mark_UK

A state of WAR has been declared so Celebrity Apex lucky to not have reached Haifa yet. They will divert to Cyprus, Turkey or Greece and fill the port days. Planning to go to Israel is always risky and cruise lines always have a plan B.  Israel which is well known for very effective security really got caught asleep at the wheel on. this one. Major retaliation is guaranteed. This will impact any travel there for some time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Will the insurance company let Celebrity take a billion dollar ship into a war zone 🤔

Celebrity is not taking their ships into a war zone...one ship that actually had excursions out the Nieuw Statendam has alerted all passengers back to ship and heading out. There will be no tourist ships in port for the near future.

• Like 1

The captain recently announced that all stops in Israel were cancelled.  We are now heading to Cyprus and will

overnight there.  Then we will have a sea day and arrive in Alexandria Egypt a day early and have an extra day (now a total of 3 days) in Egypt. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I know this plan might not be for most folks and don't  even know if cruise ship has this as an option but with that kind of time in Egypt rather than just  a day trip to Cairo and the pyramids which  it seems would be what most first timers want to see I would opt to do an overnight.  If it were a choice staying out near the pyramids to see them all lit at night and early in the morning is something you will never forget.  Most won't be back again and this is really something worth the money.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I know this plan might not be for most folks and don't  even know if cruise ship has this as an option but with that kind of time in Egypt rather than just  a day trip to Cairo and the pyramids which  it seems would be what most first timers want to see I would opt to do an overnight.  If it were a choice staying out near the pyramids to see them all lit at night and early in the morning is something you will never forget.  Most won't be back again and this is really something worth the money.

I was just thinking the same….we have spent three weeks in total in Egypt and there really is so much to see and do. I hope that Celebrity has the time to put some extended itineraries together…

• Like 1

Sorry for the people on board, because as I said earlier we were on this same cruise last week and enjoyed it. But even more sorry for the victims of the conflict, and you can never legislate for this kind of thing when travelling to powderkeg destinations. 

I can imagine the queues at Guest Relations and Shore Excursions. I hope the spirits remain good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi I’m supposed to be on this ship next week.  I believe it will stop at Ashdod / Haifa from Oct 17 18 and 19.  If the situation calms down, will Celebrity still go there, and are we expecting them to just cancel all future port calls to Israel altogether ?

23 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

The itinerary already included two full days in Egypt, docked in Alexandria for 1 overnight, thus MANY passengers had already booked a Cairo overnight, allowing two full days to see the sights nearby.  Now, there are 3 full days in Egypt, 2 nights ported in Alexandria.  We have a private tour booked through Ramses with an overnight in Cairo.  But now with 2 overnights, gosh, could have had an opportunity to go all the way to Luxor on a private tour, but it's just too late to make that kind of a plan now.  

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Looks like she just turned for Cyprus.

Yes, the new plan has been reported above - an overnight in Limassol, then a seaday, then an extra overnight in Alexandria, making 3 full days to tour Egypt.  

4 minutes ago, Zrf80 said:

Hi I’m supposed to be on this ship next week.  I believe it will stop at Ashdod / Haifa from Oct 17 18 and 19.  If the situation calms down, will Celebrity still go there, and are we expecting them to just cancel all future port calls to Israel altogether ?

With Israel at war, there is no chance we are going to Israel on the Oct 16 sailing.  Never say never, but in this case, never is the word to be used.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Yes, the new plan has been reported above - an overnight in Limassol, then a seaday, then an extra overnight in Alexandria, making 3 full days to tour Egypt.  

I saw that just after I posted.   Stay safe and hope you enjoy Limassol.     I'm guessing they are scrambling to get some excursions arranged for later today or tonight.   I'm sure it is such a disappointment for all.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I saw that just after I posted.   Stay safe and hope you enjoy Limassol.     I'm guessing they are scrambling to get some excursions arranged for later today or tonight.   I'm sure it is such a disappointment for all.

We are actually on the Oct 16 sailing and I have to say, if these substitutions are the same for our sailing, I personally am feeling not so bad......we've never been to Cyprus, and an overnight there will be lovely, and an extra full day in Egypt, definitely not bad.  We will of course personally be extremely disappointed to miss Israel, truly a once in a lifetime chance for us - but to not have 3 sea days as a replacement is welcome, considering the tragic circumstances under which this had to be done.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

We are actually on the Oct 16 sailing and I have to say, if these substitutions are the same for our sailing, I personally am feeling not so bad......we've never been to Cyprus, and an overnight there will be lovely, and an extra full day in Egypt, definitely not bad.  We will of course personally be extremely disappointed to miss Israel, truly a once in a lifetime chance for us - but to not have 3 sea days as a replacement is welcome, considering the tragic circumstances under which this had to be done.

I love you attitude.  We are much the same and while disappointed when a port is missed consider the new port an opportunity to explore a new place.

While not the same as missing Israel (a real once in a lifetime opportunity) we missed the Shetland Islands on our last cruise which was the main reason we had taken the cruise.  

• Like 3

Just now, jwlane said:

They have---Apex called there on her restart itineraries 2 years ago.

Haven't seen many cruises that go there though to be honest and when we've been there on a land holiday the only cruise passengers we've seen have been from Regent on excursions. 

Just now, Presto2 said:

Haven't seen many cruises that go there though to be honest and when we've been there on a land holiday the only cruise passengers we've seen have been from Regent on excursions. 

I'm not surprised. Visited Cyprus this time last year for the first time. Fortunately we had an excellent hotel but was not at all impressed with the island, dirty and run down particularly the Paphos area. We would never return.

2 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

I'm not surprised. Visited Cyprus this time last year for the first time. Fortunately we had an excellent hotel but was not at all impressed with the island, dirty and run down particularly the Paphos area. We would never return.

I'm very surprised ... having visited about 7 times, soon to be 8. Lots of site seeing to be done. 

I feel extremely fortunate to have made it on Apex, but I do understand how unfortunate this is for so many passengers.  My DH had always wanted to go there; I canceled Istanbul and changed to Israel knowing that it might not happen.  Just a very sad situation, especially for those in Israel.  To live under the constant fear of war must be indescribable. even though when we were there our guides told us that was just part of life.

• Like 4