Apex due in Israel tomorrow

Mark_UK

14 minutes ago, Zrf80 said:

Are they going to cancel Alexandria now as well? If that’s the case Celebrity needs to cancel this cruise altogether.  I don’t think it’s fair if they cancel two major ports of call and replace them with small with smaller venues.  We all paid a lot of money for this cruise.  

I think it you were on Oct. 16th you might try to get FCC based on this becoming a Greek Island Cruise but cruise line within their rights to refuse refund. Bad situation. Or maybe  they will cancel Oct. 16th but would need to make that decision soon. Then you are covered.

Edited by kathy49

1 hour ago, Zrf80 said:

Are they going to cancel Alexandria now as well? If that’s the case Celebrity needs to cancel this cruise altogether.  I don’t think it’s fair if they cancel two major ports of call and replace them with small with smaller venues.  We all paid a lot of money for this cruise.  

As long as there are alternate courts that can be visited, they will not cancel the cruise all together

1 minute ago, Mark_UK said:

Alexandria now been cancelled for the current cruise. They are going to Greek Islands and Bodrum instead. 

Unfortunately one of those sad occasions where you can’t see what else they could do…

Mark, you and the family don’t seem to be having much luck at present…try buying a lottery ticket. I hope despite the disappointment re itinerary you can still enjoy a fantastic cruise…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Alexandria now been cancelled for the current cruise. They are going to Greek Islands and Bodrum instead. 

There were issues someplace in Egypt..( did not see full report)  shots fired at Israeli Tourists..

Alt ports not what was planned but a nice selection!

• Like 1

Just now, gordylad said:

does celebrity offer any refund or OBC for passengers affected as I'm just thinking the Israel cruises are normally higher priced than others?

No hard and fast rule.

OBC could range from $0 to a much higher amount.  This turned out to be a completely different sailing from what was booked, but none of that was Celebrity's fault so it remains to be seen.  I doubt whether or not the original pricing was higher would be a factor.

Just now, hcat said:

There were issues someplace in Egypt..( did not see full report)  shots fired at Israeli Tourists..

Alt ports not what was planned but a nice selection!

It was in Alexandria where they were scheduled to port and the shootings were fatal. 

1 minute ago, gordylad said:

does celebrity offer any refund or OBC for passengers affected as I'm just thinking the Israel cruises are normally higher priced than others?

I am scheduled on the cruise leaving on Oct 16.  I will be very upset if they change this cruise into a Greek Isles getaway.  I paid a hefty sum to go to historic sites at Israel and Egypt.  If you change those venues into Greek Islands, then it is not worth the money.  I will request Celebrity to offer a refund or FCC.  Cannot accept a local cruise nadie a country I’ve already visited.

7 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Unfortunately one of those sad occasions where you can’t see what else they could do…

Mark, you and the family don’t seem to be having much luck at present…try buying a lottery ticket. I hope despite the disappointment re itinerary you can still enjoy a fantastic cruise…

I know, can you believe it... I was the one who suggested they try this trip so I feel quite guilty. Sadly we've done Greek Isles before so not excited about it, particularly given what we paid; seeing the Pyramids is something my Mum is desperate to do. But who could predict a robbery, and then a war breaking out. Why is the world so complicated.   

Edited by Mark_UK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

It was in Alexandria where they were scheduled to port and the shootings were fatal. 

oh my.. def a good port to miss right now!

I looked up Bodrum.. it  looks very nice and the  comments say it us safely away from any conflict areas with Syria.

1 minute ago, Mark_UK said:

I know, can you believe it... I was the one who suggested they try this trip so I feel quite guilty. Sadly we've done Greek Isles before so not particularly excited about it, particularly given what we paid; seeing the Pyramids is something my Mum is desperate to do. But who could predict a robbery, and then a war breaking out. Why is the world so complicated.   

If that’s the case, Celebrity should respect their guests and allow them to rebook a separate cruise.  You can’t change an entire itinerary and expect the guests to fully enjoy a trip they did not sign up for…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Zrf8, Be sure to read your cruise contract to see what options there are within it for you. I fear that you may find that there are none. You can always try, but do not be surprised if your request is denied

Unfortunately I believe you are right.  I booked through a travel agent so I will contact them tomorrow.  Just the premise of not getting your moneys worth is frustrating.  I paid for a trip to Israel and Egypt.  Instead I get a trip to Mykonos and some other island.  Celebrity shouldn’t subject their guests to attend an itinerary they are not comfortable with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zrf80 said:

Unfortunately I believe you are right.  I booked through a travel agent so I will contact them tomorrow.  Just the premise of not getting your moneys worth is frustrating.  I paid for a trip to Israel and Egypt.  Instead I get a trip to Mykonos and some other island.  Celebrity shouldn’t subject their guests to attend an itinerary they are not comfortable with.

It’s very unfortunate, but I think the only thing any cruise company could do would be not offer Israel and Egypt on their itinerary as it’s a notoriously troubled part of the world and these issues happen too regularly unfortunately 

14 minutes ago, Zrf80 said:

If that’s the case, Celebrity should respect their guests and allow them to rebook a separate cruise.  You can’t change an entire itinerary and expect the guests to fully enjoy a trip they did not sign up for…

I agree. The cruise before our recent bermuda cruise on oceania skipped bermuda altogether and went to nassau for an overnight. I know a lot of the passengers were very upset. Having paid more money for bermuda cruise and receiving a nassau bahama cruise instead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jwlane said:

It's fascinating how posters ignorantly expect X to turn on a dime and have instantaneous solutions/resolutions to situations they have absolutely no control over.

Don't think anyone is blaming X for making the changes, just some would like to be given the opportunity to change sailings given it's now not what they purchased/paid a premium for. 

Edited by Mark_UK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I have to say that I have read this thread in disbelief.

We have had cruises to Israel and Egypt changed in the past due to conflicts and not complained once as this part of the world is always 'uncertain' when you book. 

To moan about the change of an itinerary in light of what is happening stuns me.

Have those of you who are complaining not seen the footage of what has happened this weekend and the news about the shooting in Egypt?

No cruise line can predict this sort of one in a generation event and its repercussions in the area.

Looking at the changes I think that Celebrity has done a really good job with their new itineraries.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8