Unlimited Dining Package

1 minute ago, George C said:

We really enjoyed it last cruise and booked it again next month. It’s better on some ships depending on what and how many specialty restaurants they have , lunch will be included on sea days only . 

Thank you so much for your input. We will be on the Odyssey of the Seas. We will also have a small child with us, so the idea of quicker meals is appealing. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skettitheiggy said:

Odyssey of the Seas. 

You have 5 speciality $ (paid) restaurants on Odyssey 

Chops Grille (Deck 5)

Giovanni’s Kitchen (Deck 5)

Wonderland (Deck 5)

Teppanyaki (Deck 14)

Izumi Sushi (Deck 5)

Playmakers (Deck 16) A la carte $20

So you would have to double up on a few  and utilize also for lunch to make it worth it 

I would, and also am ok with eating at the same one twice if needed 

Download app, pick a current Odyssey sailing and look at the menus 

You can then look at individual cost and compare against UDP

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 3

We had it on Odyssey and loved it

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

You have 5 speciality $ (paid) restaurants on Odyssey 

Chops Grille (Deck 5)

Giovanni’s Kitchen (Deck 5)

Wonderland (Deck 5)

Teppanyaki (Deck 14)

Izumi Sushi (Deck 5)

Playmakers (Deck 16) A la carte $20

So you would have to double up on a few  and utilize also for lunch to make it worth it 

I would, and also am ok with eating at the same one twice if needed 

Download app, pick a current Odyssey sailing and look at the menus 

You can then look at individual cost and compare against UDP

Unlike on other ships the English Pub has a bit of food as well.  Chicken wings, Poutine and Nachos among other things, if I remember right.  We had lunch there at least twice if I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we did UDP on Odyssey in March of 2022, we really enjoyed it.  We enjoy the specialty dining but thats a personal preference. I compare the MDR to applebees and the specialty rest to chains like McCormick and Schmidts or Coopers Hawk.  When we were on in March every specialty rest was included, Playmakers, and Giovannis Wine Bar(this is the food in the bar, not the rest., thats alwas included) as well.  I'm not sure that is still included, it's hit and miss from ship to ship.

Dan

• Like 2

I've had the UDP on three ships: Vision, Adventure, and Freedom.

Follow the pricing in the Cruise Planner online for your cruise.  Buy when the price goes down, and remember you can always cancel and re-purchase if it goes even lower.

As Pompey says above, use it for lunches, too.  Twice I have booked and paid in advance for lunch on Day 1, once in Chops and then in Giovanni's, and had the manager credit the prepaid charge when I show up on Day 1 with the UDP.  

I loved the UDP, especially during the time after 1/14/23 when the dining menus changed, and also the service in the MDR was drastically affected by new, untrained staff.  This seems to have calmed down, but the MDR will never come close to the food quality and service in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 2

Pros: more space between diners, more attentive service, a calmer vibe, better food

Cons: price for a whole family or group, repetitive visits to the same restaurants, repeated over-indulgence, may have difficulty getting times you want

I've done it a few times and consider it a nice treat, but not necessary. As far as kids and eating quickly, I think MDR is a faster experience now. The menu revamp is geared at getting people in and out. We averaged 45 minutes on my last sailing, and that was without any effort to be out fast. The specialties offer a more relaxed environment and generally have a slower pace. 

• Like 1

I had UDP on an 11 night cruise on the Anthem which included 6 sea days. Honestly it was too much after a few days. The problem on the Anthem is not enough variety. There's only Chops, Jamies Italian, Wonderland and Izumi (no hibachi offered). There's no lunch in Wonderland, so it was only Chops or Jamies for lunch on sea days. I don't really like sushi so wasn't that interested in Izumi, although I went a couple times. The lunch and dinner menus in Chops and Jamies are pretty similar so it got repetitive quickly and I liked Wonderland but it's the type of place you would only want to hit a couple times over 11 nights. But the cost was only $208 for the entire cruise so I didn't mind too much, at the current prices I wouldn't do it unless there was a lot more choice.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, nferr said:

I had UDP on an 11 night cruise on the Anthem which included 6 sea days. Honestly it was too much after a few days. The problem on the Anthem is not enough variety. There's only Chops, Jamies Italian, Wonderland and Izumi (no hibachi offered). There's no lunch in Wonderland, so it was only Chops or Jamies for lunch on sea days. I don't really like sushi so wasn't that interested in Izumi, although I went a couple times. The lunch and dinner menus in Chops and Jamies are pretty similar so it got repetitive quickly and I liked Wonderland but it's the type of place you would only want to hit a couple times over 11 nights. But the cost was only $208 for the entire cruise so I didn't mind too much, at the current prices I wouldn't do it unless there was a lot more choice.

$208 for an 11 night - Major bargain 

I would have jumped all over that 😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skettitheiggy said:

Thank you so much for your input. We will be on the Odyssey of the Seas. We will also have a small child with us, so the idea of quicker meals is appealing. 

If I were traveling with a small child, I would probably not go the UDP route. There are lots of options on the Odyssey that would be quicker and easier, and I have a suspicion that you would gravitate towards those and not get your money's worth.  Maybe book a specialty dinner or two for just the adults, while the little one is at Adventure Ocean?

14 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

If I were traveling with a small child, I would probably not go the UDP route. There are lots of options on the Odyssey that would be quicker and easier, and I have a suspicion that you would gravitate towards those and not get your money's worth.  Maybe book a specialty dinner or two for just the adults, while the little one is at Adventure Ocean?

That's a good point, thank you! 

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone for your input, you really helped with my decision. I think ultimately I will follow la_croisiere_s'amuse's advice not get the dining package for this cruise and will just book a dinner at Wonderland for my husband and I. Probably when my daughter is a bit older I will consider the UDP ( she will be 2 during the cruise). 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:39 PM, PompeySailor said:

$208 for an 11 night - Major bargain 

I would have jumped all over that 😎

Yeah, it was when cruising was just starting back up. It was basically seven lunches (including embarkation) and eleven dinners possible, and I hit Johnny Rockets a couple of times also. 

• Like 3

I have it next week on allure.  I think it's a good deal.  I enjoy the smaller spaces and the higher value food.  A great option if it's to much for you is the 3 night deal.  I've done that too and was happy.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:09 PM, pcur said:

Follow the pricing in the Cruise Planner online for your cruise.  Buy when the price goes down, and remember you can always cancel and re-purchase if it goes even lower

I thought they charged your card once you made the purchase?

• Like 1

On a seven day Navigator cruise last week, we had the unlimited dining package. Agree with others re: enough venues / variety for the duration. We enjoyed the burgers and onion rings at Johnny Rockets and the chicken tenders and onion rings at Playmakers almost as much as any dinner meal.  Best thing at the troubled Jamies was the braised short ribs, which were perfect on both dinners.

• Like 2

We have had the UDP several times in the past. I have also eaten the the main dining room with small kids. The waiters were very helpful in that they made sure they took the kids orders quickly and got their food to them so they wouldn't be hungry and bored. We had early dining so the kids went off to adventure ocean after they ate.

I would like to think that the same thing would happen in the specialty restaurants, but I doubt if those waiters have as much experience with kids.

I agree with the advice to just do a couple nights in specialty when you can have someone watch your child. I am not sure if 2 year olds can go to Adventure Ocean. Someone else can probably speak to that.