Internet is horrible

Lonedaddy

In voyager now and it takes forever to laid a page on this site.  Goodness just offer high speed for everyone instead of chafing 10 bucks a day.  If regent wants a first class luxury experience the give it on internet.  On another note …..First time on voyager and I would not sail it again tv in ph is tiny shower so small with just a hand shower  and a cheap metal shelf that won’t hold the shampoo conditioner and shower gel with out getting knocked off by the hand shower cord.  Lack of usb ports…. The ship needs a major refurbishment.  Definitely not the same cabin experience as the explorer class ships.

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

In voyager now and it takes forever to laid a page on this site.  Goodness just offer high speed for everyone instead of chafing 10 bucks a day.  If regent wants a first class luxury experience the give it on internet.  On another note …..First time on voyager and I would not sail it again tv in ph is tiny shower so small with just a hand shower  and a cheap metal shelf that won’t hold the shampoo conditioner and shower gel with out getting knocked off by the hand shower cord.  Lack of usb ports…. The ship needs a major refurbishment.  Definitely not the same cabin experience as the explorer class ships.

Starlink coming to all ships as soon they turn it on. Mariner has it on already. 

23 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

That’s interesting…. In May on Voyager in a PH we had the best internet we have had since our first Regent cruise on Mariner in 2018. Explorer in 2019 and Splendor in 2022 were abysmally horrible. Voyager by comparison was wonderful. Obviously YMMV. We’re boarding Mariner this Friday and looking forward to giving Starlink a try. 

I agree that the shower in a Voyager PH is tiny although ours did have both a regular and hand shower. No USB ports but really, who doesn’t carry chargers?

• Like 1

Be aware there may be some unintended consequences when Regent goes to satellite internet as I posted the following on Oceania's CC blog last month:

Currently on Vista on a B2B. While the internet is much faster, there is an issue, I believe, no one has mentioned. The issue is that the internet satellite servers are located in Spain. As a consequence many sites you select will either not respond or say in several different ways that because you are in a foreign location, the site’s server will not respond. For example, USA Today. Another “benefit” of the Spain location is that a lot of ads are in Spanish as well as some sites you select. Some Google sites are half English and half Spanish- go figure.

Currently in Canada and the issue remains. The LYNC rep on board confirmed to me this issue. Hopefully, when we hit US waters the servers may switch.

P.S. Switching to a phantom IP address (NORD VPN) did not solve the issue.

46 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

Be aware there may be some unintended consequences when Regent goes to satellite internet as I posted the following on Oceania's CC blog last month:

Currently on Vista on a B2B. While the internet is much faster, there is an issue, I believe, no one has mentioned. The issue is that the internet satellite servers are located in Spain. As a consequence many sites you select will either not respond or say in several different ways that because you are in a foreign location, the site’s server will not respond. For example, USA Today. Another “benefit” of the Spain location is that a lot of ads are in Spanish as well as some sites you select. Some Google sites are half English and half Spanish- go figure.

Currently in Canada and the issue remains. The LYNC rep on board confirmed to me this issue. Hopefully, when we hit US waters the servers may switch.

What happens if you change your DNS addresses to Google?

5 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

Lol, I had similar Starlink problem on Celebrity last month. Italy, Greek Islands cruise. Could not get rid of Italian versions of Amazon and some other websites, strangely enough even after I returned to the U.S. Had to delete my Amazon app and reinstall to get back to U.S. version of Amazon. First world problem IMHO.

Just received this email (Monday October 23):

Dear Luxury Traveler,

I am pleased to announce that guests can now stream, share and surf the internet while at sea with unmatched speed and reliability thanks to Starlink’s high-speed internet aboard Regent Seven Seas Cruises®. 

Guests sailing on Seven Seas Mariner® are already enjoying Starlink internet, allowing them to stay connected while traveling like never before, something that Regent world cruisers will surely enjoy when setting sail in January 2024. Beginning in November, Seven Seas Grandeur elevates every aspect of luxury cruising on her inaugural voyages, including Starlink’s next-level WiFi. And by the end of 2024, all our ships are expected to have Starlink high-speed internet available.

The World’s Most Luxurious Fleet is sailing full speed ahead into a new era of connectivity at sea, from real-time moments shared mid-voyage to improved onboard services and beyond. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for An Unrivaled Experience®.

1 hour ago, taxare said:

Just received this email (Monday October 23):

Dear Luxury Traveler,

I am pleased to announce that guests can now stream, share and surf the internet while at sea with unmatched speed and reliability thanks to Starlink’s high-speed internet aboard Regent Seven Seas Cruises®. 

Guests sailing on Seven Seas Mariner® are already enjoying Starlink internet, allowing them to stay connected while traveling like never before, something that Regent world cruisers will surely enjoy when setting sail in January 2024. Beginning in November, Seven Seas Grandeur elevates every aspect of luxury cruising on her inaugural voyages, including Starlink’s next-level WiFi. And by the end of 2024, all our ships are expected to have Starlink high-speed internet available.

The World’s Most Luxurious Fleet is sailing full speed ahead into a new era of connectivity at sea, from real-time moments shared mid-voyage to improved onboard services and beyond. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for An Unrivaled Experience®.

I got that email too. Interesting that it says “stream.” @Mike Moore, is that just a poor choice of words, or will we now be able to stream on Starlink-enabled ships?

2 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I got that email too. Interesting that it says “stream.” @Mike Moore, is that just a poor choice of words, or will we now be able to stream on Starlink-enabled ships?

The majority of instances it should be fine, I just don't want to give anyone the expectation that you will always be able to stream 24/7, 100% of the time, regardless of the ship's location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can on RCC with Starlink (same limitations as Mike detailed). I don't know if the commercial packages for Starlink are bandwidth limited by tier price or not. Maersk is getting > 200MB/S on their ships.

Edited by Pcardad

13 minutes ago, Mike Moore said:

The majority of instances it should be fine, I just don't want to give anyone the expectation that you will always be able to stream 24/7, 100% of the time, regardless of the ship's location.

But.....Will there be an upcharge to access streaming services as has previously been the case?

6 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

IMG_4411.thumb.png.7f4f6eb966a1e40658a72e79b679af87.png

image.png

Trying to

finish online survey ! Just give me a paper copy or let me complete at home if your service is this crappy!  Trying to complement the hard working staff and critic the issues.  It seems management doesn’t give a crap about the passengers so why care about the staff?  They can’t handle the truth!!!  It’s past midnight off the coast of Italy not peak time in the middle of the pacific!  What is the problem??? 

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Like 2

@Mike Moore, perhaps this has been answered elsewhere, but why is it taking so long to roll Starlink out to the entire fleet? Given all the known issues with the existing wifi, and given Regent touts itself as a premium cruise line, it would seem this could get done very quickly. Afterall, ships get built in only two years!

14 minutes ago, Mystictraveler said:

@Mike Moore, perhaps this has been answered elsewhere, but why is it taking so long to roll Starlink out to the entire fleet? Given all the known issues with the existing wifi, and given Regent touts itself as a premium cruise line, it would seem this could get done very quickly. Afterall, ships get built in only two years!

It has not been answered publicly.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, edgee said:

Lol, I had similar Starlink problem on Celebrity last month. Italy, Greek Islands cruise. Could not get rid of Italian versions of Amazon and some other websites, strangely enough even after I returned to the U.S. Had to delete my Amazon app and reinstall to get back to U.S. version of Amazon. First world problem IMHO.

Use a VPN (as you always should when on a public WiFi) and set your server location to near where you live.

On 10/18/2023 at 8:53 PM, jeb_bud said:

That’s interesting…. In May on Voyager in a PH we had the best internet we have had since our first Regent cruise on Mariner in 2018. Explorer in 2019 and Splendor in 2022 were abysmally horrible. Voyager by comparison was wonderful. Obviously YMMV. We’re boarding Mariner this Friday and looking forward to giving Starlink a try. 

I agree that the shower in a Voyager PH is tiny although ours did have both a regular and hand shower. No USB ports but really, who doesn’t carry chargers?

11 hours ago, Mike Moore said:

We are on Voyager Nov 18th. Is it possible to have 2 phones per cabin connected to WIFI ? One per person?