Any idea why I am not eligible for an upgrade on Celebrity Move Up?

Stockjock

I have a cruise departing in a few days.  Currently in a concierge class cabin at a relatively good price through their Amazing Deals promo.

They've been bugging me to put in for an upgrade via MoveUp.  I thought maybe it would be closed because the cruise sails so soon, but it wasn't.  So I bid on a suite.

They let me enter my bid, took me to the final page, requesting credit card info, which I provided, then on the next page, gave me an error that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade.

Any idea what's up with that?  You'd think if I wasn't eligible, they'd tell me outright, rather than allowing me to go through the MoveUp process, including credit card info and such.

2 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I have a cruise departing in a few days.  Currently in a concierge class cabin at a relatively good price through their Amazing Deals promo.

They've been bugging me to put in for an upgrade via MoveUp.  I thought maybe it would be closed because the cruise sails so soon, but it wasn't.  So I bid on a suite.

They let me enter my bid, took me to the final page, requesting credit card info, which I provided, then on the next page, gave me an error that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade.

Any idea what's up with that?  You'd think if I wasn't eligible, they'd tell me outright, rather than allowing me to go through the MoveUp process, including credit card info and such.

Did you use a travel agent? I discovered a few years back that some travel agents do not participate in the move up program. I did not understand it at the time, and I don’t understand it now. But if you have a travel agent, you might check with them.

Tom & Judy

5 minutes ago, TFree said:

Did you use a travel agent? I discovered a few years back that some travel agents do not participate in the move up program. I did not understand it at the time, and I don’t understand it now. But if you have a travel agent, you might check with them.

Tom & Judy

Yes.  I used one because I thought I'd qualify for American Express Cruise Privileges Program, which I figured would get me a couple of hundred bucks OBC plus a bottle of wine (any Amex-Qualified Travel Agent can get this for Amex Platinum card holders), but as it turns out, I got no perks from them.  Not even a bottle of wine, since the lower-priced "Amazing Deals" promos don't qualify.

To my knowledge the only TA's not a participant is the big Box store that starts with C.  

It would be a good idea in the future to ask in advance of booking what they are offering for your booking with them.   If they don't offer anything I would compare with what other agents are offering.  The norm would be in the range of 5-10%

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

To my knowledge the only TA's not a participant is the big Box store that starts with C.  

It would be a good idea in the future to ask in advance of booking what they are offering for your booking with them.   If they don't offer anything I would compare with what other agents are offering.  The norm would be in the range of 5-10%

Because I had done the Amex Platinum Cruise Privileges program before, I assumed this would qualify.  Didn't realize that certain types of promotions are exempt.

By the time I figured it out, I didn't think it was worth the hassle of making the switch.  But now I do know.

I thought it was chintzy of them to not even offer a bottle of wine or a small OBC as a courtesy, particularly since I discussed my misunderstanding w/them.  I doubt I would use them next time.

31 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Simply try this, do NOT say anything more...

Email to: CelebrityMoveUp@celebrity.com

Email Title: Please make booking #XXXXXX Moveup eligible

Email Body: "Hope the MoveUp Team is having a great day, Please make booking #XXXXXX Moveup eligible. Regards, ShockJock"

I cannot stress how important it is to NOT explain your current moveup situation or even to say anything more as you're just hoping they "check the box" that makes you eligible

They usually take a few business days

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

Simply try this, do NOT say anything more...

Email to: CelebrityMoveUp@celebrity.com

Email Title: Please make booking #XXXXXX Moveup eligible

Email Body: "Hope the MoveUp Team is having a great day, Please make booking #XXXXXX Moveup eligible. Regards, ShockJock"

I cannot stress how important it is to NOT explain your current moveup situation or even to say anything more as you're just hoping they "check the box" that makes you eligible

They usually take a few business days

Cruise is in 2 days (this weekend), so I don't think it would fly.  But I appreciate the suggestion!

28 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Yes.  I used one because I thought I'd qualify for American Express Cruise Privileges Program

Is it the one that begins with A and requires membership and a call to receive a quote? I used them once on a short, pretty cheap (balcony for less $800 total) cruise, where I may have received $25 OBC, but wasn't really expecting anything. Only time I bothered. For my Princess trip in a mini-suite this year (Alaska, 10 night, probably 5K all in) they quoted me a price $800 more than I could book with one of the other advertisers on cruise critic, and knew the extra OBC and stuff I would get with that online TA, which was over the $300 from the Amex program .I've had a few quotes from them over the last few years, all for more than I could book elsewhere.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have always wondered why C doesn’t participate in the move up bid…rebate number already locked in..customer might want more with more spend on cruise fare maybe..?

After all the issues  that OP seems to have with cruise, airline and trvl bookings, , my strong suggestion is to find a well rated Trvl Agent close to home.

Put your trust in that agency to make things run smoothly.! Discounts, perks, freebies are not all that count..

We have not used a TA for cruising in many yrs, EXCEPT if air and hotel res are needed, or  we are looking for a land tour.   Then we will use a  local well rated agency.

We also did great ( great rm, great price, extras ) with a TA who specialized in SANDALS when we went there.  

Hope it works out!

35 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Cruise is in 2 days (this weekend)

Even if all else aligns the bidding window is now closed.

Acceptance and Rejection of an Offer

Celebrity may review and make a decision about an Offer at any time after the Offer is submitted, up to 48 hours before the cruise departure date.

• Thanks 1