Queen Anne

Minnie29

I'm sure it will be a lovely day in Liverpool but I can't help but wonder if whoever arranged it thought they were booking for P&O because Matt and Emma Willis don't seem like the right people for the Cunard demographic. 

And I'm also a little disappointed that she isn't being named ahead of her maiden voyage. It seems a little strange to me but I don't know how normal being named after the maiden is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pear Carr said:

Liverpool will put on an amazing show for Queen Anne - gutted I will miss it as will be sailing the med on her older sister Queen Victoria!

Same here. Otherwise might have had a trip to Scouseland to see. Hopefully it will be shown onboard QV.

22 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

I'm sure it will be a lovely day in Liverpool but I can't help but wonder if whoever arranged it thought they were booking for P&O because Matt and Emma Willis don't seem like the right people for the Cunard demographic. 

And I'm also a little disappointed that she isn't being named ahead of her maiden voyage. It seems a little strange to me but I don't know how normal being named after the maiden is.

Carnival UK did the same with Arvia and named her later 

The article states that Matt and Emma Willis will host the day of celebration.  It doesn't say they will name the ship. Emma is an experienced presenter, so I can't think why they wouldn't be as capable as any other presentation team.

I could be wrong, but I would imagine that a royal will probably still appear briefly for the naming ceremony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMHO Liverpool seems a better choice for the naming ceremony than perhaps an alternative like Southampton. She’ll get a great a welcome from the Liverpudlians.

On a commercial note, having done a brief look-see on the current cruise bookings for this itinerary, there seems to be rather a lot of availability in the grades below Queens Grill. I even found a large number Princess grills available! There’s two promotions running for the next few days and I would think Cunard will be very keen to fill these cabins. 

1 hour ago, D&N said:

The article states that Matt and Emma Willis will host the day of celebration.  It doesn't say they will name the ship. Emma is an experienced presenter, so I can't think why they wouldn't be as capable as any other presentation team.

I could be wrong, but I would imagine that a royal will probably still appear briefly for the naming ceremony.

I agree.

They're not naming, they're presenting and why not a young'ish couple. I'm sure they'll  be perfect.

A senior royal would be icing on QA's cake. The Duchess of Edinburgh would fit the younger profile.

• Like 4

I have just had an email specifically mentioning my approaching voyage on QA, which is about WC perks. It mentions a complimentary meal at ‘one of our alternative venues’. Does that mean any of our alternative venues or actually one specific one only. I wonder when we’ll find out. Still it all adds to the pleasurable anticipation.

• Like 2

That’s a great story to continue Cunard’s heritage. To continue that heritage, I hope Cunard also plans something special when QA arrives in NY Harbor for the first time. 

• Like 2

I just received an email announcement here in New England so Cunard is spreading the word. However, I’m a bit confused - the naming ceremony will occur during a cruise? I now understand @sogne’s point above.

We were thrilled to receive the email very late last evening, just as bedtime beckoned.  This is our Queen Anne cruise, and we are delighted to be "in house" witnesses to Cunard history.  DH will be celebrating a very special birthday during this British Isles adventure.  Last night I told him I'd gone to enormous trouble arranging the naming ceremony during the cruise.  I was actually relieved as much as excited, as I'd been feeling guilty about extending our time in the UK instead of being home in Australia with our family, but now I can explain the reason😉. Actually, in the email Cunard explains that Liverpool is the Company's spiritual home, and this cruise was chosen because it will be Queen Anne's maiden circumnavigation of the British Isles.  The message also promises more to come....

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I know she was in Liverpool but that was enough. Now I just need my invite to the ceremony. 

We could arrange to smuggle you aboard.

• Haha 2

Just booked for this cruise.

Remembering how busy it was in Liverpool for the 175th birthday and now I didn’t even manage to see the three Queens on the river then I looked this afternoon and booked.

Very excited to be a part of history and sailing down the Mersey to home will be magical.

Now to start some forward planning

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Dear Minnie,

no worries about the obstructed view on the Queen Ann, if her deck 4 has the same configuration as the Koningsdam on deck 4. We‘ve sailed on her maidentrip in 2016.

The view from the obstructed balcony cabin was actually much better than we’d expected. You look over the tenders.
We had a deck 4 balcony cabin just above the ballroom and on the first night we could hear some music from down below. (as expected).

Next morning at the reception we’d told we could hear some music till 23.00 hr, and without asking for it, we got an upgrade for free to a very nice junior suite on deck 6. Holland America wanted us to be happy!

Compared to the Queen Victoria and Westerdam and Oosterdam, the only thing I didn’t like on Pinnacle ships is the narrow promenade deck. 
The good points are more restaurants, modern feel of the ship, cabins in a Scandinavian minimalistic style.

Because the Pinnacle ships are wider and longer than Vistas there is more space and last year the Rotterdam felt just as quiet as the Oosterdam. As the Pinnacle ships are the biggest we’ve sailed we were a liitle concerned these Pinnacles would be to big for us.

Well they are not, we love them.

The Koningsdam nor Rotterdam felt like to crowded ships. 

So high hopes the Queen Ann will be a lovely ship to sail on.

Edited by AMS-Wolt

30 minutes ago, AMS-Wolt said:

Dear Minnie,

no worries about the obstructed view on the Queen Ann, if her deck 4 has the same configuration as the Koningsdam on deck 4. We‘ve sailed on her maidentrip in 2016.

The view from the obstructed balcony cabin was actually much better than we’d expected. You look over the tenders.
We had a deck 4 balcony cabin just above the ballroom and on the first night we could hear some music from down below. (as expected).

Next morning at the reception we’d told we could hear some music till 23.00 hr, and without asking for it, we got an upgrade for free to a very nice junior suite on deck 6. Holland America wanted us to be happy!

Compared to the Queen Victoria and Westerdam and Oosterdam, the only thing I didn’t like on Pinnacle ships is the narrow promenade deck. 
The good points are more restaurants, modern feel of the ship, cabins in a Scandinavian minimalistic style.

Because the Pinnacle ships are wider and longer than Vistas there is more space and last year the Rotterdam felt just as quiet as the Oosterdam. As the Pinnacle ships are the biggest we’ve sailed we were a liitle concerned these Pinnacles would be to big for us.

The Koningsdam nor Rotterdam felt like too crowded ships. 

2 hours ago, AMS-Wolt said:

Dear Minnie,

The Koningsdam nor Rotterdam felt like to crowded ships. 

QA is 10% longer than the other Pinnacles...but takes 10% more passengers...

(Also QA maybe larger than QV and QE but has almost 1000 more passengers; passenger/volume ratio is actually a little worse: 34 for QA, 36 for QE so will be just as crowded/uncrowded as QE and QV.  QM2 obviously the best with a ratio of 45)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A little taster for those about to join on Friday; and those a little later I guess.

Britanni Stateroom 6178...

Britannia6178.thumb.jpeg.eb857f5c29182243e54dc1c35426cb59.jpeg

The Pavillion

PavillionBar.jpeg.56891fc8708170b94a07abcbea269bcf.jpeg

The Chart Room....

ChartRoom.jpeg.3cf9774ab9bf33275aceb67bdcd517d9.jpeg

...and the Bright Lights Society....

BrightLightsSociety..jpeg.c17bb056604daa126ac6d1099a346b0a.jpeg

Oh, and not to be left out(as I'm no doubt expected)....

The Queens Grill....

QueensGrill1.jpeg.d6fce993af97a23a1c71cebf1bdc87a3.jpeg

QueensGrill2.thumb.jpeg.538b1a558a245685e1ee5021e1695dc0.jpeg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5