catching covid pre cruise

mimmo.l

Hi with covid getting back in the news, does anyone know what the procedure is if one is in contact with a covid positive person or catches covid pre cruise?   are you out the fare?  does princess provide you with future credit?  what do they require?

thanks

Dom

Make sure that one has adequate travel insurance that covers cancellation of flights, illness etc.

At this time of the year we begin to see an increase in respiratory illness.  Covid is just one of many that could result in you not being able to cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

it's up to the guest to cover themselves from loss.

And sometimes this means going the self-insured route... "eat the loss" in other words. I personally don't bother insuring low-cost voyages. The little 3 and 5 day ones, for example.

I *do* insure the ones that take me deep south into Mexico. Does travel insurance cover bribes in Mexico??? /s

• Haha 1

Not quite the answer you are seeking, but our situation might give you a bit of insight.  We have been on the Royal princess for 36 days now.  I caught covid on day 8 of our journey.  I felt symptoms coming on and did a self test, which we brought with us.  It returned a positive result and I reported is to the medical center (left message on their machine).  They did not come and check me out but did call and ask me how I was and when symptoms were first observed.  They then took that time as the basis for the start of quarantine and told me I was to stay in our room for 6 days.  Each day they called to see how I was doing.  My symptoms were no worse than an average cold.  They room service were right on top of things.  They sent menus to our room and called to take our orders for each meal.  Guest services said I would receive a credit for the quarantine period, but I have no idea how much that will be. 

My wife did not show symptoms.  She was not required to test when I reported my positive result.  She was not confined to the room (we asked multiple times just to be sure).  When my quarantine period ended, they simply asked me if I felt any symptoms remaining, and then asked my wife to test (and she came back negative).

So...  they are not setting people off the ship anymore, and they are not forcing you to change rooms to some covid isolation ward.

All in all, things worked out very well for us.  Our quarantine was over 5 at sea days and one day in Moorea.  That day was a little depressing as we looked at the beautiful island from our balcony but could not leave the room.  But it could have been much worse, and the ship is trying to do their diligence, but not going to any extreme measures with covid.  I thought the response was appropriate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Insurance is interesting. If you show signs of Covid during boarding, you may be required to take a lateral flow test. If positive, you will not be allowed to board. However several insurance policies will only accept a claim if there has been a positive PCR test.  So imagine you are denied boarding and then have to source a PCR  test, which, in the U.K. are no longer easily available. And then imagine you take said PCR test and it comes back as negative for Covid. By which time the ship has sailed… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2