Onboard shops without any shopping bags

Thairific

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well.....I hate to even verbalize this; Is this the latest cost-cutting scheme?

I suspect that it falls into the "environmental compliance" category, like eliminating plastic straws.  The ship probably wants to eliminate as much single use, "could fly overboard at a moment's notice" plastics.   

• Like 3

If you take a Northbound Alaska Cruise and your first port is Ketchikan, go to the Tongass Trading Company and buy a sweatshirt or rain jacket and get a nice huge bag that you can use for the rest of the cruise and the rest of your life.  Mine is in the trunk of my car.

Ketchikan, Alaska ”TONGASS TRADING TRIANGLE” Souvenir Red Reusable Shopping  Bag | eBay

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

This is not a binary choice.  It is not:

• Macy's provides me with a bag, or
  • I lug all my purchases home without anything to carry them in.

The simple third option is that you bring your own bags with you to the store.  Been doing this for years.  And yes, we bring bags with us on cruises.  Mostly to accommodate us in port stops when we do purchasing there.  But they also come in handy when we shop on board.  A couple of light, mesh bags and one larger, but still easily packed canvas bag is all that is required for 90% of our purchases.  

The 4th choice is to openly state you will NOT buy ship items til they provide bags for to actual purchasers. 🫠

Edited by cheezenip
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cheezenip said:

The 4th choice is to openly state you will NOT buy ship items til they provide bags for to actual purchasers. 🫠

And the response that statement would engender would be: "I'm sorry to hear that.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise."  Same response one would get if one told a bartender that they will not order any more drinks unless they are given a plastic straw.  Decisions made in the C-Suite are not going to get overridden by a disgruntled passenger, especially when the shops are run by third-party franchises and not by Princess.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, cheezenip said:

Are you also going to refuse coffee from they IC while you are in Glacier Bay because you can get a disposable cup ?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cheezenip said:

You wouldn’t do well in Canada.  No shopping bag, we’ll sell you one.  Don’t want to buy one?  Then put it in your pocket, carry it or don’t buy it.  Simple.  People learn to take their own bags very quickly.  Why would anyone need to make a fuss over bags on a cruiseship?  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

Are you also going to refuse coffee from they IC while you are in Glacier Bay because you can get a disposable cup ?

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

Don't drink coffee but if I did I'd rather be out enjoying the GB scenery than inside ordering a drink. ☺️

9 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

You wouldn’t do well in Canada.  No shopping bag, we’ll sell you one.  Don’t want to buy one?  Then put it in your pocket, carry it or don’t buy it.  Simple.  People learn to take their own bags very quickly.  Why would anyone need to make a fuss over bags on a cruiseship?  

I lived in Toronto for a few years and enjoyed my time there. I think many who are responding to my comment are missing my tongue and cheek intention.

Edited by cheezenip

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

And the response that statement would engender would be: "I'm sorry to hear that.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise."  Same response one would get if one told a bartender that they will not order any more drinks unless they are given a plastic straw.  Decisions made in the C-Suite are not going to get overridden by a disgruntled passenger, especially when the shops are run by third-party franchises and not by Princess.  

No disagreement with anything you said here.

Edited by cheezenip

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I suspect that it falls into the "environmental compliance" category, like eliminating plastic straws.  The ship probably wants to eliminate as much single use, "could fly overboard at a moment's notice" plastics.   

Agree.   See it as an environmental issue and the states we have lived in recently you either bring your own bag or are charged for each paper bag you need in any store.  No plastic bags at all.

• Like 2

I had to buy some emergency tampons on the last Princess cruise I did. No bag. I wasn't embarrassed (as a 40 year old woman I've bought plenty of tampons in my time) but I can imagine some people might not want to share that sort of purchase with everyone! Likewise something you're buying as a gift/surprise for someone you're travelling with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saint_em said:

I had to buy some emergency tampons on the last Princess cruise I did. No bag. I wasn't embarrassed (as a 40 year old woman I've bought plenty of tampons in my time) but I can imagine some people might not want to share that sort of purchase with everyone! Likewise something you're buying as a gift/surprise for someone you're travelling with.

Easy!  If you have concerns about others seeing your purchase, bring your own bag.  We’ve been doing it for a very long time.

Just now, Lady Arwen said:

Easy!  If you have concerns about others seeing your purchase, bring your own bag.  We’ve been doing it for a very long time.

Oh I agree, I will next time - now I know they don't provide them!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I've never been on a ship that didn't have bags to put merchandise in to carry back to my stateroom.  You are saying that none of the shops onboard the ship had bags to put purchased items in?  

Just off the Royal transpacific 2 days ago-- NO SHOPPING BAGS anywhere on the ship -- Felt like shopping a flea market 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thairific said:

Princess Cruises and most other cruise lines encourage cruisers to shop onboard yet, we have not been able to find a single Princess ship to have any shopping bags for their passengers to carry their purchased merchandise with! I can’t even imagine anyone shopping at Macy’s, Nordstrom for example, having to lug all their purchases home without anything to carry them in! While other cruise lines have their shopping bags adorned with company logo on it Princess seems to want us to inconveniently haul all that stuff back to our cabin before continuing on with our activities ☹️

Welcome to CC.  If this is your biggest problem with Princess, I think they have a happy customer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DCThunder said:

For the fares those lines charge, they should deliver it to you home.

Luckily for everyone, nobody is obligated to buy anything they don't see value in. Life is grand!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the UK if you want a bag you pay for it. It's an environmental issue. Everyone just takes their own bag with them when they go shopping. I can't quite comprehend getting incensed to the point of refusing to buy something when the answer lies within my own hands (or bag) 😉🙂

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

In the UK if you want a bag you pay for it. It's an environmental issue. Everyone just takes their own bag with them when they go shopping. I can't quite comprehend getting incensed to the point of refusing to buy something when the answer lies within my own hands (or bag) 😉🙂

Yes, same in Canada for years now.  Second nature when shopping anywhere, grab a bag!  This includes cruiseships and hotels.  

• Like 5

19 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

If you take a Northbound Alaska Cruise and your first port is Ketchikan, go to the Tongass Trading Company and buy a sweatshirt or rain jacket and get a nice huge bag that you can use for the rest of the cruise and the rest of your life.  Mine is in the trunk of my car.

Ketchikan, Alaska ”TONGASS TRADING TRIANGLE” Souvenir Red Reusable Shopping  Bag | eBay

i still use many many years later as one of my grocery shopping bags ( i use it for household cleaning supplies only).  Many years old, and still holding up

• Like 1