Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

18 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

So you are taking an assumed percentage and then topping it up possibly? So for arguments sake one pulls 16 bucks a day and pays the room steward lets say two bucks and you might make it three for arguments sake. So then add two more the waiters which equates to 9 bucks overall leaving a remaining 7 bucks. Does one pocket that or do you give to employees who enhance your cruise but are not visible? I know in the restaurant industry where I live, you tip the server and a percentage of his/her tips go to the behind the screen staff like dishwasher, cooks etc.

Guest services gives you the exact amount/breakdown but some is vague. They provide dollar amounts. The do not break out behind the scenes. Some places do pool tips now. I never see the same waitstaff at those places- wonder why. Perhaps this also means dishwashers are not being paid a proper wage and being placed under the minimum wage for tipped employees which is almost nothing- like that of a ship worker. 

Edited by RoyalC

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

What’s makes RC hilarious is asking for more for less. So in this case the gas is gone up in price but the gallon also covers less miles than before. 

This is true but the service from individuals on cruiseships is very good. It deserves some form of recognition. How else other than tips would they be recognized? If they were on land they would be working an 8 hour day with two days off. They would require more employees thus higher fares

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

What’s makes RC hilarious is asking for more for less. So in this case the gas is gone up in price but the gallon also covers less miles than before. 

That's the way inflation and the economy works. I used to be able to pay $20 for a tank and drive 400 miles. Now for the same $20 I get to the local shops and back.

5 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

This is true but the service from individuals on cruiseships is very good. It deserves some form of recognition. How else other than tips would they be recognized? If they were on land they would be working an 8 hour day with two days off. They would require more employees thus higher fares

Yes, raise cruise fares. Drop gratuities totally. I am all for cruise lines to pay fair wages to the crew members. But stop asking consumers to supplement employee wages in the form of gratuities. 

Raise the fares and let the market sort it out. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Hi Fiona, just wanted to say "Hello"...we'll be in Cadiz tomorrow before our crossing. :classic_smile:

Hi! 😍

Cadiz is lovely. I hope you're enjoying the trip so far and that you get decent weather and smooth sailing for the crossing. I'll be on Symphony for the first time in February. Can't wait! 😁

But they shouldn't even be raising anything. They are making BILLIONS!

They have cutback services. 

An ethical company that is proper and fair would provide their staff a fair wage with no increase to the customer. 

RCI is greedy, unethical, and continually try to take advantage of their staff and customers. If I worked on a ship, I would gather everyone, walk off the ship and not return until I received an appropriate wage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We aren't discussing "prices" we are discussing a salary supplementation scheme

I agree, I am Australian so we have no tipping culture, employees get a livable wage paid by the company. The excuse of providing better service doesn't work with me. If an employee of mine isn't providing top service then I find another one.

But if the culture is this way then you can't leave the price of service stagnant. These people have to live too 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

An ethical company that is proper and fair would provide their staff a fair wage with no increase to the customer. 

RCI is greedy, unethical, and continually try to take advantage of their staff and customers. If I worked on a ship, I would gather everyone, walk off the ship and not return until I received an appropriate wage. 

The American service industry, they use the excuse that tipping supports better service to avoid paying higher wages, losing your job for not providing good service works just as well.

You can't just blame 1 company when it's a national culture. 

2 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

The American service industry, they use the excuse that tipping supports better service to avoid paying higher wages, losing your job for not providing good service works just as well.

You can't just blame 1 company when it's a national culture. 

Except this is an American company largely profiting off of international staff. Just a lil bit different than the majority of America...

3 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

On the other hand they have no problem filling positions. Positions that REQUIRE crew to pay their own way to the ship (long expensive flight- at least one way). They pay for their internet too. They leave families to do this. Do the math and it is good money. This whole pay everyone fairly has some merit but also fuels inflation in a never ending upward spiral. In the States you have to realize it is not just $15 per hour- it is the added social security, work comp, unemployment insurance, etc. This all goes up when wages go up. Then prices go up and we complain people do not make enough so we have to raise wages again. 

Just now, RoyalC said:

On the other hand they have no problem filling positions. Positions that REQUIRE crew to pay their own way to the ship (long expensive flight- at least one way). They pay for their internet too. They leave families to do this. Do the math and it is good money. This whole pay everyone fairly has some merit but also fuels inflation in a never ending upward spiral. In the States you have to realize it is not just $15 per hour- it is the added social security, work comp, unemployment insurance, etc. This all goes up when wages go up. Then prices go up and we complain people do not make enough so we have to raise wages again. 

All the more reason they should not be forcing customers to pay any "gratuities" and certainly should not be raising them and cutting back services. 

1 minute ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

Except this is an American company largely profiting off of international staff. Just a lil bit different than the majority of America...

Somewhat, but still inbred in the psyche of the country.

I am Australian some don't have this, in fact we don't pay daily gratuities as our customer law says all prices advertised must be pay what you see. So obviously they are included in the price just not split up.

However my next cruise is 10 days to NZ and it's costing us $950 AUD each. That works out to be about $600 USD or $60 a day. Now if $20 of them are going to daily grats then they aren't making much money out of us.

2 hours ago, loman said:

Arrogance in my opinion . 

Didnt they increase gratuities last year ?

They think they can get away with anything now. 

When people start talking with their feet they will get what they deserve.

And I will be shorting the stock because it will feel so much better. Hopefully rates continue to increase too. I like stocks when they are cheap, and in the meantime I earn bank interest for once.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

I usually tip extra to waiter, asst. waiter and cabin attendant, even with once a day turn down service.  With the latest increase, I'll have to reconsider.  I do tip individually the bartenders and servers to my allowable 5 daily drinks.

I did bring 4 cans of tall pringles and 5 bags of candy, often even more I give to my steward. Mostly I eat in the WJ.. I havent eaten in the Mdr for breakfast or lunch in forever, so just my cabin steward. I've given some extra cash just because I really liked the steward, depends. My cabin is very clean. Not much for them to do. 

Yes I tip extra for voucher drinks. 

$10 for paid dinner on top of the 18% they charge. Lol my print out looks mostly like tips plus some cash tips. I ate 2 nights on allure in Mdr. 3rd night to say hello and lobster night. I do lobster night but not sure that's worth extra tips. Only my steward gets extra treats and cash from me.

Dont like this news but no sense to me complaining. Just wish it didnt come just before my 3 weeks on harmony starting nov 26. Never booked 3 before and no others. Booked 2 weeks with 1 friend and then a week with another friend I want to cruise with. I could have cancelled on one friend or the other but good price  .. but after that I'm up in the air. Moving. Uggh. 

10 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

4 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

All the more reason they should not be forcing customers to pay any "gratuities" and certainly should not be raising them and cutting back services. 

Except they aren't forcing anyone to pay anything.  Anyone on a cruise can go to guest services and stop their auto-gratuities, as many in this thread have said they'll do.  

A company so unethical and improper and unfair that they give the consumer a choice whether or not to pay?  Interesting.

• Like 3

Just now, Husky1987 said:

Except they aren't forcing anyone to pay anything.  Anyone on a cruise can go to guest services and stop their auto-gratuities, as many in this thread have said they'll do.  

A company so unethical and improper and unfair that they give the consumer a choice whether or not to pay?  Interesting.

TBF unless you are on Cruisecritic or something similar you may not even know about grats being optional. I thought it was specific to certain laws that were applicable to individual countries. I am D+ and I didnt even know about this until a few customers on my last cruise started talking about it. I was at the point of not paying extra but never considered removing grats.

Edited by tottenhamfc

This is why I'm dumping Royal and sailing Virgin Voyages. Just can't deal with the CONSTANT money grabbing. I sailed Celebrity last week, paid a very high price for a relaxing massage, only to end it with an intense and stressful sales pitch for some $60 shower gel whilst trapped in a treatment room with the staff member preventing me from leaving. It's starting to feel like a bazaar onboard with random people constantly trying to sell you things, even on the tannoy. Gone are the days of a relaxing vacation.

Edited by Mark_UK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Oh, BTW, extra bar tips?

Do you folks who throw around dollar bills at the bar realize that they ALREADY ADD an extra 18% gratuity to every drink.  It is also added to your drink package cost if you've gone that way. The tip is even already thrown into the pot BY RCCL on freebie voucher drinks?  I do not carry my wallet or wads of cash around on a cruise ship.  I do tip the Diamond Club waiters an extra bit AT THE END OF THE CRUISE for great service the entire cruise...BUT I find zero reason to throw around extra tips to add to the 18% I'm already being charged.  You don't hand out singles to the MDR waiters at every meal, do you?

So you get FREE drink vouchers and claim somehow magically they get 18% tip on a free drink. .. so you tip only at the very end for the diamond drink service. Lol. 

And yes I know people who tip in cash every meal in Mdr. It takes me very little to add a few $1 bills in my purse to tip for a drink .. or I dont drink. I don't stiff them.  Still dont understand how you think free vouchers give tips to the server if you dont tip? Post of the day! 

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I did bring 4 cans of tall pringles and 5 bags of candy, often even more I give to my steward. Mostly I eat in the WJ.. I havent eaten in the Mdr for breakfast or lunch in forever, so just my cabin steward. I've given some extra cash just because I really liked the steward, depends. My cabin is very clean. Not much for them to do. 

Yes I tip extra for voucher drinks. 

$10 for paid dinner on top of the 18% they charge. Lol my print out looks mostly like tips plus some cash tips. I ate 2 nights on allure in Mdr. 3rd night to say hello and lobster night. I do lobster night but not sure that's worth extra tips. Only my steward gets extra treats and cash from me.

Dont like this news but no sense to me complaining. Just wish it didnt come just before my 3 weeks on harmony starting nov 26. Never booked 3 before and no others. Booked 2 weeks with 1 friend and then a week with another friend I want to cruise with. I could have cancelled on one friend or the other but good price  .. but after that I'm up in the air. Moving. Uggh. 

As someone mentioned, you can call and prepay.  I've got a few bookings and planning on calling and prepay my Harmony December sail and will ask to include tip on invoice for my Anthem February sail.  Got 3 more and have to see if they are eligible for prepayments.  Not laying any funds until the 90 days prior to sail.

Edited by nelblu