Dining Package Reservations Will Now Be Available Pre-Cruise

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sadly this applies to many things.

I will be D+ after my next cruise and I have been looking forward to my BOGO's but figuring out how to game the system is kind of giving me a headache. I know it would upset many who have had success booking pre-cruise or using them for lunch or for a night other than 1 or 2, but if RC chose to enforce the rules as written, no one would be allowed to book anything but dinner night 1 or 2 after boarding the ship.

It would be nice if while they are updating the reservations for the Dinging Packages, they added the D+ BoGo in there as well... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LilBlackDress said:

It would be nice if while they are updating the reservations for the Dinging Packages, they added the D+ BoGo in there as well...

That would be the best... but since that's a C&A perk meant to be used onboard like your vouchers, free laundry, free days of internet, etc., I doubt we'll see it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pcur said:

Several D+ cruisers I know book dinner for one in the Cruise Planner, pay for it, show up with a plus-one, use the BOGO coupon, and the other person is free.

This is exactly how we do it, for night one and two.

If our son is with us we book all three and have one refunded onboard the ship at the time of billing after the meal. We do that to make sure we get a table for 3/4.  It is no issue when it is only the two of us, and we book for one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

That would be the best... but since that's a C&A perk meant to be used onboard like your vouchers, free laundry, free days of internet, etc., I doubt we'll see it.

If you book your BOGO precruise, as described here, I think the worst they will do is say you have to cancel and rebook at the onboard price. I really don't think they will say, 'you booked at home and you are supposed to book onboard so no dinner for you!'

They were trying to sell me specialty dining multiple times a day, every day, on my last cruise. The capacity is there.

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, marci22 said:

If you book your BOGO precruise, as described here, I think the worst they will do is say you have to cancel and rebook at the onboard price.

Agreed and since I have to go to a restaurant once onboard either way, I may try booking dinner for one pre-cruise since it won't cause much extra hassle. I just really don't like dealing with issues when I board... I want to jump right into cruise mode, grab a drink, and go to lunch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Agreed and since I have to go to a restaurant once onboard either way, I may try booking dinner for one pre-cruise since it won't cause much extra hassle. I just really don't like dealing with issues when I board... I want to jump right into cruise mode, grab a drink, and go to lunch.

This is my first time booking for 1 online and going with two once onboard.

Previously I have booked for two (to reserve my preferred time) and had one dinner refunded with my BOGO once onboard. It's an extra step either way. Worst they can do is completely cancel me and say they're full. That's fine with me. It saves me money which is something RC does not want to do, so I'm not too worried.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, pcur said:

This is great news!  I don't have to also pay for specialty restaurant lunch on embarkation day, and then request a refund because I have the UDP. 

I know UDP grants you lunch on sea days. Does it also include lunch on embarkation day?

Just now, molly361 said:

Yes 

Cool, learned something new.  It's too late to make a lunch reservation for my cruise this Saturday.

Silly question because I've always made reservations in advance, but can I just do a walk-in to Chops on embarkation day and (if available) get a table? I'm assuming so, but heck I've been very wrong lately on several subjects. 

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

So you pre-booked online 1 specialty dinner for each of you and when you got there for dinner you told them you’re using the BOGO and they accepted it? In other words they were only expecting 1 person to show up and two came instead?

Did you only choose days 1 and 2 or further out?

Have all ships accepted this?

We’re currently on Odyssey and I tried to use our BOGO for lunch at Giovanni’s and no matter how hard I pushed they wouldn’t budge. He kept saying why wouldn’t I want dinner instead and I said it’s too late for me to eat that much. 
Other ships we had no issue doing that. I wish it was more consistent across the fleet. 

If you read my posts, only ever done once a few weeks ago and as already posted for Day 1 and Day 2 and for Dinner only 

I don’t really want to quote myself again 😎 

We never tried for lunch - See above 

For those concerned about trying to beat the system 

Please explain how a PCP is any different than an onboard purchase 

(maybe $10 max difference) and with all the dynamic pricing who cares 

look at this way the odd $3- -$4 difference in cost Royal are making back with their increase in gratuities 

It all balances out in the long run 

WAKE UP - How many tables with only 1 chair do you see in ANY restaurant 

a BOGO by its definition is not

a BOGOFBNUYGOTS

We have only done once with 💯 success rate and two ZERO receipts 

Will be doing again on Monday 

Happy Days !

If you can’t beat them - Try a different way - I said that 😉

@Jimbo I am now your advocate 🤪

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, marci22 said:

If you book your BOGO precruise, as described here, I think the worst they will do is say you have to cancel and rebook at the onboard price. I really don't think they will say, 'you booked at home and you are supposed to book onboard so no dinner for you!'

They were trying to sell me specialty dining multiple times a day, every day, on my last cruise. The capacity is there.

Exactly

Regardless of PCP or buy on board

Day 1 and Day 2 in our experience of speciality dining at the 5:30 - 6:00pm range are dead quiet.

And I’m talking the last 15 cruises we have done 

Either way it is done, Royal are achieving what they set out to do 

More people paying extra for food and reducing numbers in MDR

The difference in buying on ship and PCP is less than a free D+ drink coupon 

That’s the reality of this process 

Don’t sweat it, we didn’t and enjoy a zero bill 

(waiter got their exact $$$ amount tip, regardless of PCP or Buying on ship

So everyone is a winner 🏆 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marci22 said:

He is also a savant with cabin specifics/locations. 

That is one thing we have tried to master lately and are very picky on where we bunker down on a ship these days 😄

We were going to go on Quantum for Alaska 2025 when I saw itineraries posted yesterday 

Not one JS or JY are in a location we like, so that cruise is not happening 

And didn’t want to splash on a GS (flights  needed)

We are wiling to look elsewhere because the cabin does not fit our needs 

Its a shame but after having a few cruises with noisy locations and lack of sleep 

Cabin choice for us comes before ship and itinerary 

Lots of research and YouTube videos before we book a certain cabin / suite 😎

• Like 2

Just now, PompeySailor said:

If you read my posts, only ever done once a few weeks ago and as already posted for Day 1 and Day 2 and for Dinner only 

I don’t really want to quote myself again 😎 

We never tried for lunch - See above 

For those concerned about trying to beat the system 

Please explain how a PCP is any different than an onboard purchase 

(maybe $10 max difference) and with all the dynamic pricing who cares 

look at this way the odd $3- -$4 difference in cost Royal are making back with their increase in gratuities 

It all balances out in the long run 

WAKE UP - How many tables with only 1 chair do you see in ANY restaurant 

a BOGO by its definition is not

a BOGOFBNUYGOTS

We have only done once with 💯 success rate and two ZERO receipts 

Will be doing again on Monday 

Happy Days !

If you can’t beat them - Try a different way - I said that 😉

@Jimbo I am now your advocate 🤪

Sorry I haven’t been on here much. We’re out to sea on a ship 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sadly this applies to many things.

I will be D+ after my next cruise and I have been looking forward to my BOGO's but figuring out how to game the system is kind of giving me a headache. I know it would upset many who have had success booking pre-cruise or using them for lunch or for a night other than 1 or 2, but if RC chose to enforce the rules as written, no one would be allowed to book anything but dinner night 1 or 2 after boarding the ship.

Very true😁

So having read on post #1 that people with the UDP can prebook dining reservations on Wonder of the Seas, I called RCI to see if I could book, because I do have the UDP.

Answer: No sirree, bob. The poor girl read and reread me her scripted lines. "Passengers with the UDP do not need to make reservations. They just need to show up at the restaurant where they desire to eat when they desire to eat."

I told her this was not true. And she repeated. I told her I have had the UDP many times and that is not true. And she repeated. . . .I still don't believe her. Guess I will be making my reservations as soon as I board.

15 minutes ago, Tudy said:

So having read on post #1 that people with the UDP can prebook dining reservations on Wonder of the Seas, I called RCI to see if I could book, because I do have the UDP.

Answer: No sirree, bob. The poor girl read and reread me her scripted lines. "Passengers with the UDP do not need to make reservations. They just need to show up at the restaurant where they desire to eat when they desire to eat."

I told her this was not true. And she repeated. I told her I have had the UDP many times and that is not true. And she repeated. . . .I still don't believe her. Guess I will be making my reservations as soon as I board.

I highly doubt that any CS reps have been informed of the New press release regarding UDP yet.

I doubt there are many in the RC offices who also know about it 

If I had an upcoming Wonder sailing and I had the UDP  (The criteria currently required)

I would be calling in and checking the app and cruise planner daily 

Might be worth contacting Exec offices to find out what day GUINEA PIG testing starts on Wonder 

Good Luck

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tudy said:

The release says probably starts after icon starts jan 27. So she was right, it hasnt started. Right now you cant pre book. IT guys hopefully are going after this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The release says probably starts after icon starts jan 27. So she was right, it hasnt started. Right now you cant pre book. IT guys hopefully are going after this.

Royal Caribbean is already testing the option for those with a dining package to pre-book on one of its ships, Wonder of the Seas.

I'm sorry, this is what I read and thought that "already" meant that it was currently being done.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

Thanks Graham.  Just want to make sure I understand what you’re saying.   For example, if I book Chops (pre cruise in the planner) for the first night for 1 person, but Doug and I both show up, I’ll be able to use my D+ BOGO and he’ll be free?  

Hi Valerie! Yes this is exactly what I have always done. Book one, swing past restaurant before dinner and tell them that 2 will show for dinner and confirm pax 2 is free as my BOGO date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, robmtx said:

Cool, learned something new.  It's too late to make a lunch reservation for my cruise this Saturday.

Silly question because I've always made reservations in advance, but can I just do a walk-in to Chops on embarkation day and (if available) get a table? I'm assuming so, but heck I've been very wrong lately on several subjects. 

Not silly at all.  Yes, you can also do this, but best to arrive when they first open.  

If you go into the Cruise Planner, do a "ghost" purchase of the restaurants shown for specialty restaurant lunches, you can see what's open on which day, then cancel out of the purchase.  This is how I determine how many meals I will actually get when I buy a UDP.  I have one cruise where Giovanni's is open every day for lunch, and Chops 6 days. 

19 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Don’t think they will over book it 

Royal don’t over book 😉

Edit: They only overbook cabins not dining (YET)

I don’t see UDP being booked much more than it already is

a slight up tick maybe 

Not many are willing to shell out $500- $1000 for a 7 night for 2 when all the other food is free

However, if you track the prices it can be worthwhile to purchase the UDP.  I did with my sister on the Vision last year, and we averaged $15 per meal for both lunches and dinners combined.

Right now I'm tracking for all my booked cruises, and it's running between $24 - $35 per meal.  This is lunches and dinners.