Celebrity is bringing back the Classic Section of menu--Hope for Royal

nelblu

Was listening to a webinar hosted by Andrea Shea (AVP of Loyalty) and Laura Hodges Bethge (President).  Of special interest was that they discovered that the present menus lack variety and diversity.  Therefore, the plan is to bring back the Classic entrees and apps with own section (4:15 mark).  Also, they will modify and add varieties to the main portion of the menu.  This will take effect sometime in late November.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing and fingers crossed Royal do the same.

Yes, please, I'll have a chocolate dessert every single night! 😂😋

I'm hoping too as I enjoyed the Classic side of the menu as a safe bet.  Also, wish that they would bring back the veg and Kids menus.  Sometimes I ordered form the Kids menu.🤣

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There are pieces of the classics menu on every night.

Yes, as part of the main menu, which in essence reduced the number of entrees and flexibility in the menu.  The proposal is that the Classic will be a separate section.  It also proposes to re-jiggle the main section of the menu.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TravelinTess said:

I noticed grilled chicken is on the menu each night during our Anthem cruise in July.... did I just not notice this before?

It's been there for a while. They added it back in not long after they introduced the new menus although it's kind of hidden, almost as though they don't want people to notice it. In similar fashion there's a vegetarian Indian dish every night but you have to notice it underneath the description of the main Indian dish.

• Like 1

Went to the Celebrity board and the feeling is quite mixed.  Some are happy, some are guarded optimistic, some are taking a wait and see attitude, and some are pessimistic, more in that the video does not touch on quality.

Most were happy that Celebrity felt the criticism and pressure and needed to make the change.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I saw that video and am crossing my fingers they bring back the classics as well as more vegetarian items. So far on our B2B on Odyssey many nights I’ve only eaten appetizers for dinner. No entrees. 

That's sad, maybe ask your waiter to make you some special Vegetable dishes each night.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's sad, maybe ask your waiter to make you some special Vegetable dishes each night.

Needs to speak to the Headwaiter.  My granddaughter has allergies, and each night her mother went over the next evening menu with the HW and made changes if needed.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

haha. forgot to add in my post to ask the headwaiter to ask the chef...........your waiter isn't going to do much but relay the message to the head waiter.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It’s ok we’ve been on many cruises with this menu so I’m kind of used to it. I always ask for more veggies too. The plus is I dont gain as much 😁

• Like 2

18 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There are pieces of the classics menu on every night.

I liked having the separate classics section because I loved that salmon dish and if nothing else appealed, I could default to that. With the fewer choices now (I hate Indian, so that's one less) I feel a bit trepidatious heading into the MDR. 

19 hours ago, nelblu said:

Was listening to a webinar hosted by Andrea Shea (AVP of Loyalty) and Laura Hodges Bethge (President).  Of special interest was that they discovered that the present menus lack variety and diversity.  Therefore, the plan is to bring back the Classic entrees and apps with own section (4:15 mark).  Also, they will modify and add varieties to the main portion of the menu.  This will take effect sometime in late November.

Hopefully, Royal follows suit before the end of the year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Hopefully, Royal follows suit before the end of the year. 

If something was in the works, I would think there would be some leakage from some of the Ps on this board.  Maybe, it'll be a Holiday surprise.

Edited by nelblu

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

They discovered that the menus lacked variety so they decided to add a list of menu items that stays the same every day?  Um...ok.

Instead of dedicated classics, they were spattering the classics into the main menu.  Doing it that way replaced many of the other items that would have been there with the old menus.  Providing a dedicated classics section opens things up for more apps, entrees and desserts to add variety to each menu.

...at least that's my understanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thank you for this OP.  We'll be on the X Equinox the week before Christmas next month and will welcome a broader menu with good default options.

5 Night on the 19th? Looks like they are bringing back escargot and French onion soup every night. Although one of the few things I prefer Royal over Celebrity is the French onion soup.

20 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

They discovered that the menus lacked variety so they decided to add a list of menu items that stays the same every day?  Um...ok.

The main section of the dinner menu changed from day to day, however the classic (4 entrees) portion remained static every night.  The classic were the standby entrees for those diners that did not like the main section entrees.

5 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

5 Night on the 19th? Looks like they are bringing back escargot and French onion soup every night. Although one of the few things I prefer Royal over Celebrity is the French onion soup.

Really, on what vessel.  The French Onion Soup was my favorite daily App.  Some complained that it was watery, but to me it was always piping hot and delicious.

Edited by nelblu

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Really, on what vessel.  The French Onion Soup was my favorite daily App.  Some complained that it was watery, but to me it was always piping hot and delicious.

last Celebrity I was on was Infinity Sept 2022. If I remember correctly Celebrity just doesn't have that super thick and gooey cheese layer Royal has. But I have strayed a bit in the last few years, so I may be confusing it with HAL or Princess. The rest of the food on Infinity was a step up, but it was pre 2023 changes.

17 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

You got it.  On the 19th.  Can't wait!

Our family are fans of the Escargot, and my my inlaws will be with us as well.  They love the French Onion soup on Royal, but this is their first sailing on X.  I'm sure they'll still order the soup each evening.