World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

orville99

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If you ever get a chance of doing the full  transit from west to east. After going through the last lock when you are dumped into the Atlantic Ocean. The place to be is on the extreme aft facing the wake which ever deck you can get on which ever ship you are on.

The level of the water behind you is higher then the ship, it's a amazing sight we will never forget.

@orville99 You will want to be back there for sure on your return trip back through the last lock in a couple weeks.

That's sounds cool.  I hope to see some photos.

54 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We're on her for a short cruise in Decatur. Definitely hoping that the mattresses will be improved a bit for the WC, and that we'll reap the benefits.

The new mattresses are great. Haven’t slept this well on a cruise ship in years. Not so much with the new pillows - a bit to firm for us.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

That sounds cool! Did you take any pictures of that to share?

We’re watching for a canal cruise for 2025, full up in 2024….

Couldn't find all my pictures, got these off the internet but this give you an idea on how it will look.

Ship in this picture is going West bound through the first lock(Gatun) Look at the level of the lake, When @orville99 comes back later in 2 weeks (27th) he will be going down the steps and end up where it says Ocean in the picture. After the 3rd lock, you can see the level of the Ocean compared to the level of the Gatun Lake. It's amazing to see in real life.

image.png.172afb510b4adebef9d01963fe13bd39.png

. The black ship on the right orange/red containers is coming from the Gatun Lake and is is so much higher. Ocean churned up water on the left is where you will end up in the ocean.

image.thumb.png.a79e823456a3871e5fbbbc90ed44c817.png

Over head shot of the Gatun Locks.  large water area at the top of this picture below is the Gatun Lake, large water area at bottom of picture is the Ocean

image.thumb.png.19054d110f5b8203ea313e7e00754f84.png

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

The new mattresses are great. Haven’t slept this well on a cruise ship in years. Not so much with the new pillows - a bit to firm for us.

nice.  all the surveys must have worked because the Oasis of the Seas had nicer mattress lately as well.

best ones for me have been CCL.  yes I said them.   Horizon good mattress, noisy doors to balcony though.  No sliders but real doors that slam loudly.  oh well

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Couldn't find all my pictures, got these off the internet but this give you an idea on how it will look.

Ship in this picture is going West bound through the first lock(Gatun) Look at the level of the lake, When @orville99 comes back later in 2 weeks (27th) he will be going down the steps and end up where it says Ocean in the picture. After the 3rd lock, you can see the level of the Ocean compared to the level of the Gatun Lake. It's amazing to see in real life.

image.png.172afb510b4adebef9d01963fe13bd39.png

. The black ship on the right orange/red containers is coming from the Gatun Lake and is is so much higher. Ocean churned up water on the left is where you will end up in the ocean.

image.thumb.png.a79e823456a3871e5fbbbc90ed44c817.png

Over head shot of the Gatun Locks.  large water area at the top of this picture below is the Gatun Lake, large water area at bottom of picture is the Ocean

image.thumb.png.19054d110f5b8203ea313e7e00754f84.png

Thanks for pointing this out, we'll look out for it too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, orville99 said:

The agenda for tomorrow:

IMG_0192.png

IMG_0191.png

If you get a chance when you leave the ship in Puntarenas would you mind looking if there are many people offering tours. We'd like to do a trip to the Tarcoles river, all the ship excursions are sold out and someone on the roll call said we should be able to pick one up at the pier. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, kernow said:

If you get a chance when you leave the ship in Puntarenas would you mind looking if there are many people offering tours. We'd like to do a trip to the Tarcoles river, all the ship excursions are sold out and someone on the roll call said we should be able to pick one up at the pier. Thanks.

You can pick up most all of the excursions right at the pier. The Tarcoles river was really fun, until Costa Rica prohibited everyone from feeding the giant crocs. I know it sounds grisly, but they used to tie a horse or other livestock upstream, which is why they hung out at the bridge. No feeding. No giant crocs. But you can still get a tour to go to the sky bridges, tram, or one of the river croc tours with fake chicken, or anywhere else you wish to go. The local folks are very accommodating. 

• Like 1

I would not recommend the sky bridges. It is hot and a hike. The first time we stopped in Puntareanus, we stopped on a shoreside tour to see monkeys and a Coatimundi at someone's house. We stopped at the bridge over the Tarcoles to see the giant crocs. I was taking photos, and asked a guide on another tour why that horse was tied next to the water upstream. He said, "Maybe he is getting a drink of water." 

I said, "No. I think he is tied there." 

Classic response, "I don't know then. " 

No food. No big crocodiles. They don't even stop there anymore. ☺️And truly, I am not a person who cares if they feed them or not. It was interesting to see them when they did, and they are scarce now. 

PanamaCruise 170.jpg

Edited by Coralc

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

I would not recommend the sky bridges. It is hot and a hike. The first time we stopped in Puntareanus, we stopped on a shoreside tour to see monkeys and a Coatimundi at someone's house. We stopped at the bridge over the Tarcoles to see the giant crocs. I was taking photos, and asked a guide on another tour why that horse was tied next to the water upstream. He said, "Maybe he is getting a drink of water." 

I said, "No. I think he is tied there." 

Classic response, "I don't know then. " 

No food. No big crocodiles. They don't even stop there anymore. ☺️And truly, I am not a person who cares if they feed them or not. It was interesting to see them when they did, and they are scarce now. 

PanamaCruise 170.jpg

Definitely won't be doing the Sky bridges since I am scared of heights😁. We've been to Puerto Limon before and did an excursion to the Tortuguero canal which we enjoyed. Thought the Tarcoles river might be similar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kernow said:

We will look, but because our tour isn’t until noon, there may not be any locals out there at that time. Given our short time in port, an early local tour would be less risky.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

ok because I have not seen him post on cc for a long time.  glad he is alive then.

Very much so.  😉 Laura is flying back with us from LA to Orlando after first quarter, sitting next to us on the flight.  We will rejoin in Barcelona for 4th quarter, and Laura rejoins in Copenhagen.    John doing all 274 days.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

We're on her for a short cruise in Decatur. Definitely hoping that the mattresses will be improved a bit for the WC, and that we'll reap the benefits.

I have a very compressed/compact new foam topper packed already in my extra duffle bag.  Not taking any chances.  😉 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

Regular balcony?  We will be on deck 8 balcony (could not get a JS or above even booking as soon as offered to quarter pax).  I have heard different stories about how hard the new mattresses are.  Still plan on bringing my foam topper...since I already have it packed anyway.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Regular balcony?  We will be on deck 8 balcony (could not get a JS or above even booking as soon as offered to quarter pax).  I have heard different stories about how hard the new mattresses are.  Still plan on bringing my foam topper...since I already have it packed anyway.  😉 

Yes, regular balcony on deck 9. It was the only way we could get the same cabin on both legs. 

• Like 1

Docked in Puntarenas. Very difficult pier to approach. Very shallow water level. Had to have two tugs shepherd us in, and the gangway (if I heard the announcement correctly) is on deck 4. Beautiful day however.

As an aside, the internet is so good that it only took ~15. Seconds to upload all of these pictures😇

IMG_0196.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

IMG_0198.jpeg

IMG_0199.jpeg

IMG_0200.jpeg

IMG_0201.jpeg

IMG_0202.png

Edited by orville99
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Nice and I am glad they are well.

I enjoyed his threads but he did tangle with a couple of folks. So whatever it was must have been serious.

When he first booked the world cruise he said he was going to do a blog. He's got a great way with words with his trip reports and I was really looking forward to hearing about all the unusually ports. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I wish we got updates and photos of Serenade upgrades to ship. Can’t imagine they would bother passengers with noise

Every time we stop at a port, the maintenance/upgrade activity increases. Lots of pounding, chipping, painting and movement of materials. The deck 12 reading/work area is now complete (there actually is a single book in the circular bookcase.)

All of the cold water survival gear that had been stored on the deck 5 promenade has been moved into storage (probably because they finally emptied out the area where they were storing all of the new pillows and bedding. 

It looks like most of the internet upgrades have been completed - the contractors are spending a lot more time relaxing in the smoking area than they were last week, and all of the ceiling panels with new routers seem to be in place.  

Some things that were promised are still invisible, and I doubt we will ever find the exact locations of the laundry facilities.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 4

One thing that I missed posting as we left the canal on our cruise to Puntarenas was that NCL had a ship docked at the Panama City cruise terminal, so I guess they finally got it into shape for cruises.

IMG_0654.jpeg

Edited by orville99
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I guess they finally got it into shape for cruises.

I am sure the cruise lines and the passengers who are involved wished that was the case.  The pier is completed enough for vessels to moor, however the terminal building has not been completed.  The latest mark on the wall for completion was this December, but with all the recent trouble in Panama I am sure that mark on the wall is moving... again!

38 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Every time we stop at a port, the maintenance/upgrade activity increases. Lots of pounding, chipping, painting and movement of materials. The deck 12 reading/work area is now complete (there actually is a single book in the circular bookcase.)

All of the cold water survival gear that had been stored on the deck 5 promenade has been moved into storage (probably because they finally emptied out the area where they were storing all of the new pillows and bedding. 

It looks like most of the internet upgrades have been completed - the contractors are spending a lot more time relaxing in the smoking area than they were last week, and all of the ceiling panels with new routers seem to be in place.  

Some things that were promised are still invisible, and I doubt we will ever find the exact locations of the laundry facilities.

Ok you won me back and I say both sorry and then thanks.

will you be on the WC?