World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

orville99

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

orville99 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We will be boarding Serenade on Tuesday 11/7 for a 28 night round trip from Miami to LA and back, and expect to do a "World Cruise upgrades" scavenger hunt along the way. I have a short list of what the World Cruisers asked us to track down, but we will try to find whatever hidden gems that may have been added as well. We will try to post frequently about what we find, what is still missing, and how they are doing with the overall preparation process as we go. Hopefully we will be able to post pictures of what we find that has changed since we were last on Serenade in February. DW really wants to find (and try) the laundry facilities if they are working yet.😇

Edited by orville99
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

• orville99 changed the title to World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

I did not see any evidence of laundry facilities when I was on Serenade last week, but they could easily have been started already.  We did have the new plugs and USB ports beside our bed.  Mattress was new and bedframe was higher.  Didn't like the new mattress, it is very firm and the two halves do not stay together at all.  Our refrigerator had not been replaced yet.  Linens are new, as were the towels.

IMG_5649.thumb.jpeg.567b65411096a0c2afd2b2621e69726a.jpeg

Edited by reallyitsmema
Add picture
  • Like 8

Thanks my friend!  I was hoping you would post soon!  I knew you were doing this back and forth cruise.  Hope you have a fantabulous time!  🤗

The one thing I would love to know...is if they indeed install the laundry facilities.  That would help a lot, for me to be able to leave my "washy washy" collapsible tub and laundry detergent behind.  I have way too much other stuff to pack, and that would help a lot to leave those behind.  🙂 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I did not see any evidence of laundry facilities when I was on Serenade last week, but they could easily have been started already.  We did have the new plugs and USB ports beside our bed.  Mattress was new and bedframe was higher.  Didn't like the new mattress, it is very firm and the two halves do not stay together at all.  Our refrigerator had not been replaced yet.  Linens are new, as were the towels.

Just European plugs?  

I wish they’d do this for every ship.  I get tired of running an extension cord across the room every night for the DH for CPAP.  On the new ships having one behind the bed is so nice!  

I’d love to be on the B2B!  I will be following along.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Just European plugs?  

I wish they’d do this for every ship.  I get tired of running an extension cord across the room every night for the DH for CPAP.  On the new ships having one behind the bed is so nice!  

I’d love to be on the B2B!  I will be following along.  

Yes, just European plugs.  Just bring an adaptor.  I actually only used the two USB plugs though.

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, just European plugs.  Just bring an adaptor.  I actually only used the two USB plugs though.

I don’t think you plug a cpap machine into a euro plug without a converter. An adaptor won’t do it.  I could be wrong but I don’t think an cpap will automatically switch currents.  You could use an adaptor with a hair dryer that had 120/240 dual though without a converter.  And of course usb is universal.  Something for the world cruisers to look into.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

The one thing I would love to know...is if they indeed install the laundry facilities.  That would help a lot, for me to be able to leave my "washy washy" collapsible tub and laundry detergent behind.  I have way too much other stuff to pack, and that would help a lot to leave those behind.  🙂 

The self-serve laundry will only be accessible to those on the full world cruise.  I believe those on the main four segments have the "wash and fold" service included (and the full world cruisers do, as well).  As I understand it, there are only three self-serve laundry areas available -- one on each of three decks (don't remember exactly which decks they are on), and they each only contain three washers and three dryers.  So, that's a total of 9 machines -- not really enough to handle everyone on the cruise. It may not be enough to handle the demand from those on the full cruise!  So, even though I am on the full cruise, I am still brining my collapsible tub and planning on doing some laundry in my cabin.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LadyZolt said:

The self-serve laundry will only be accessible to those on the full world cruise.  I believe those on the main four segments have the "wash and fold" service included (and the full world cruisers do, as well).  As I understand it, there are only three self-serve laundry areas available -- one on each of three decks (don't remember exactly which decks they are on), and they each only contain three washers and three dryers.  So, that's a total of 9 machines -- not really enough to handle everyone on the cruise. It may not be enough to handle the demand from those on the full cruise!  So, even though I am on the full cruise, I am still brining my collapsible tub and planning on doing some laundry in my cabin.  

I’m curious as to the size of collapsible tub you use?  I have to get one for 46 nights coming up.  Is a 2 1/2 gallon big enough to wash a pair of slacks in or should I get the 3 1/2 one?  I think I’ll get one with a plug in the bottom to let the water out easier.  Up to now I’ve used a 20L dry bag but it’s a mess and hard to dry out so I’m going to try the wash tub instead.  

2 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m curious as to the size of collapsible tub you use?  I have to get one for 46 nights coming up.  Is a 2 1/2 gallon big enough to wash a pair of slacks in or should I get the 3 1/2 one?  I think I’ll get one with a plug in the bottom to let the water out easier.  Up to now I’ve used a 20L dry bag but it’s a mess and hard to dry out so I’m going to try the wash tub instead.  

The one I use I got from Amazon -- they call it a "collapsible portable wash basin dishpan." The measurements are 14.92 x 12.44 x 1.77 inches. It holds 9.25 quarts.  I put it in the shower area and fill it, then use laundry soap on the items and rinse them out. I wouldn't use this on jeans or anything too thick -- but thinner slacks and pants, I can do fine in it. After washing, I roll items up in a towel or mat to remove as much water as I can. I have a travel clothesline, too, that I bring to hang items I've washed by hand. It's not ideal, but it works. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Obsolete already as these are old style USB not the new USB-C plugs which all new Apple products have now! Bring your converter 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Are there only European plugs? DH said his CPAP can’t use that unless he has a converter. 

6 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I don’t think you plug a cpap machine into a euro plug without a converter. An adaptor won’t do it.  I could be wrong but I don’t think an cpap will automatically switch currents.  You could use an adaptor with a hair dryer that had 120/240 dual though without a converter.  And of course usb is universal.  Something for the world cruisers to look into.

My DH said he can’t plug his CPAP into that without a converter. 

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

We will be boarding Serenade on Tuesday 11/7 for a 28 night round trip from Miami to LA and back, and expect to do a "World Cruise upgrades" scavenger hunt along the way. I have a short list of what the World Cruisers asked us to track down, but we will try to find whatever hidden gems that may have been added as well. We will try to post frequently about what we find, what is still missing, and how they are doing with the overall preparation process as we go. Hopefully we will be able to post pictures of what we find that has changed since we were last on Serenade in February. DW really wants to find (and try) the laundry facilities if they are working yet.😇

I’ll be following along as we’re on 2 legs of the world cruise and were also on the same cruise as you in February and hope things are better than they were then. 

Im hoping the chillers really “chill” and DH would Like an outlet next to the bed or near the bed for his CPAP that not a European plug. 
enjoy!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Obsolete already as these are old style USB not the new USB-C plugs which all new Apple products have now! Bring your converter 

Yes, they are not USB-C plugs. We had both types of cables with us, so I used the older type by the bed and DH used the other type with the outlet at the vanity. 

Following as we will be on the second leg from LA back to Miami with you. 

Look forward to hearing about any updates but hope you will post about the actual cruise too so we know what we've got to look forward too😁.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, they are not USB-C plugs. We had both types of cables with us, so I used the older type by the bed and DH used the other type with the outlet at the vanity. 

I bought a small new adapter that has the USB-C outlets that we use for our IPADs, which replaces our older one with the regular USB. 

we also have a converter that we use and may use for DHs CPAP on Serenade.  Unless he finds a small converter for next to the bed. 

29 minutes ago, kernow said:

Following as we will be on the second leg from LA back to Miami with you. 

Look forward to hearing about any updates but hope you will post about the actual cruise too so we know what we've got to look forward too😁.

Bring her in for us!  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

I know the washing  machines had been delivered to the ship a few weeks ago, we were docked next to Serenade and I asked someone I knew 😉.  

Thanks...I had read somewhere that the full cruise pax and the quarter segment pax could use the laundry facilities...

I guess I should bring my hand wash equipment with me anyway then if we are excluded.