World "shakedown" cruise on Serenade starting next week (Semi-Live Review)

orville99

I just looked at Regent's site for a world cruise -- the longest one I can see is 168 days and as I do the math, it's about $296 per person per night -- all inclusive.  The Royal Caribbean one isn't "all inclusive," and it's not "all suites," but it does go around the world, and it is more than 100 days longer than this Regent one at 274 nights (276 if you count the two included hotel nights in Miami before the sailing), and it does include drinks; gratuities; 3 bags of laundry per week; internet; OBC (based on your loyalty level); 50% off specialty dining; most of us are getting several included excursions including Machu Picchu, the Taj Mahal, and the Great Wall of China; first class or business class flights to and from the cruise; two nights at a hotel with a "gala event" before the cruise; priority tendering; access to the (hopefully new and operational) self-serve laundry facilities; and I'm sure a few other things.  I have a "spacious balcony" cabin and as I do the math for me and my husband, we paid about $281.00 per person per night.  I'm sure it's not as luxurious as Regent, but it's honestly not a bad deal at all and I think Royal Caribbean is working to make it the best that they can. Everyone on the full cruise will be Diamond Plus by the end of the cruise even if they never sailed Royal Caribbean before, so they will get to enjoy those loyalty perks on future Royal Caribbean cruises if they want.  And this world cruise will cross off a ton of things from my "bucket list."  For me (and I think others), this cruise is a good deal.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

have a "spacious balcony" cabin and as I do the math for me and my husband, we paid about $281.00 per person per night. 

The difference is that for the ~$10 more per night, I am getting a full suite with concierge service, ALL of my excursions included, point to point (from my front door and back)  first class transportation, pre and post cruise hotel nights, all specialty dining etc, etc. 

Comparing RCL’s WC to Regents IMHO is apples to aardvarks. 

This thread has nothing to do with debating the merits of one WC vs another. I’m just trying to provide info that might be useful for the WC cruisers.

Now back on topic, there was quite a lot of paint/rust chipping going on today to make the ship more presentable for the WC cruisers - so all good…

Edited by orville99
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

I just looked at Regent's site for a world cruise -- the longest one I can see is 168 days and as I do the math, it's about $296 per person per night -- all inclusive.  The Royal Caribbean one isn't "all inclusive," and it's not "all suites," but it does go around the world, and it is more than 100 days longer than this Regent one at 274 nights (276 if you count the two included hotel nights in Miami before the sailing), and it does include drinks; gratuities; 3 bags of laundry per week; internet; OBC (based on your loyalty level); 50% off specialty dining; most of us are getting several included excursions including Machu Picchu, the Taj Mahal, and the Great Wall of China; first class or business class flights to and from the cruise; two nights at a hotel with a "gala event" before the cruise; priority tendering; access to the (hopefully new and operational) self-serve laundry facilities; and I'm sure a few other things.  I have a "spacious balcony" cabin and as I do the math for me and my husband, we paid about $281.00 per person per night.  I'm sure it's not as luxurious as Regent, but it's honestly not a bad deal at all and I think Royal Caribbean is working to make it the best that they can. Everyone on the full cruise will be Diamond Plus by the end of the cruise even if they never sailed Royal Caribbean before, so they will get to enjoy those loyalty perks on future Royal Caribbean cruises if they want.  And this world cruise will cross off a ton of things from my "bucket list."  For me (and I think others), this cruise is a good deal.  

The cruise is truly a one off  event in Royal's history . 

3 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

The cruise is truly a one off  event in Royal's history . 

Why would you say already that Royal will never have another WC? I mean really they haven't even done the 1st one yet?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

If you are happy with your decision that’s wonderful and as it should be. The rest of us are just jealous.  I hope to do a world cruise one day so I do read and pay attention to what others are saying who have done one.  Not sure Regent would be my style, I’d have to try it out first. I do think it’d be important to try a line and the class of ship before you’d invest in a world cruise. 

Serenade would work for me.  Plugs by the bed are a great improvement. I wish they’d do that on all the older ships.  We’re doing a measly 46 nights on Brilliance next year.  I find the older Royal ships have great storage for longer cruises.  Viking not so much.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Td6462 said:

Thank you very much! Abigail is a wonderful bartender! I believe the server was from the Philippines. You won't miss him he has lots of pizzazz and character! 

I agree Herran is fabulous!!  I know the server but neither of us can remember his name.   Great guy.   That's so sweet she gave him her toys and coloring books 😊

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Comparing RCL’s WC to Regents IMHO is apples to aardvarks.

Yes, it is.

We are D+ on RCL with 400 points.  Elite on Princess and have also sailed NCL.

We enjoyed RCL when we first began to cruise, but things have changed quite a bit over the years and, in our opinion, not for the best.  It seems RCG is positioning RCL to compete with Carnival and X to compete with Princess and other similar lines.  

Here’s a take on @orville99’s comment about apples to aardvarks.  On our last Regent cruise our butler asked how we would like our minibar stocked.  Off the cuff, I said, “Well, I do like an occasional Bombay and tonic.  Went out to explore ship, etc and came back to find this:

IMG_0011.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

The difference is that for the ~$10 more per night, I am getting a full suite with concierge service, ALL of my excursions included, point to point (from my front door and back)  first class transportation, pre and post cruise hotel nights, all specialty dining etc, etc....

Except for you would have to take more than one Regent cruise in order to get to the same number of places that this one Royal Caribbean cruise is going.  That's my point -- this one cruise is actually going around the world.  Dollar for dollar, the Royal Caribbean is still a better deal, IMO.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Mum’s the word about Regent!  It is pretty much all-inclusive.  Have never really done a thorough price comparison and probably should.  Airfare and transfers, all drinks (probably not the very top shelf), all specialty dining, excursions in each port, laundry, wi-fi, gratuities.   Small ships that really don’t seem that small dues to small pax loads.  Great service.  Wonderful food.  No carnival rides.  No kids (well, to be honest, we have seen one or two but perfect behavior.  We have a 21 day SA coming up in December.  Also did a NextCruise booking on Celebrity for next Feb (B2B) which we’ll probably let die on the vine.

Viking is like that, except wine/beer with lunch and dinner only.  Drink package available and not expensive like RCI, or just buy as you go drinks .....also low price.  

Kids?  None on board...none allowed.  

Happy to have some long cruises booked with them.  Doing Viking for NZ/Aussie adventure, which is why we are not on 2nd quarter WC.  

At sea today on our way to Cartagena. A bit rocky - 10-12 ft waves and a 30 mph quartering wind out of the east. Watched a rogue wave from the Solarium pool swamp some poor woman trying to get a cup of coffee before she squished off (soaked her up to her knees). Probably just going to enjoy our balcony today.😇

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

Except for you would have to take more than one Regent cruise in order to get to the same number of places that this one Royal Caribbean cruise is going.  That's

Quantity vs quality - I choose quality without hesitation every time, YMMV

• Like 3

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Viking is like that, except wine/beer with lunch and dinner only.  Drink package available and not expensive like RCI, or just buy as you go drinks .....also low price.  

Kids?  None on board...none allowed.  

Happy to have some long cruises booked with them.  Doing Viking for NZ/Aussie adventure, which is why we are not on 2nd quarter WC.  

We are looking at the 154 day WC on Regent Seven Seas Mariner for January 2026 out of Miami. Can get a nice suite for the two of us for~ $100K, and the itinerary is really interesting.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 9:54 AM, Td6462 said:

1. Abigail at the Sky Bar. " Hello from Tim & Abigail!, We hope she and "Isaac" are doing well!"

2. Herran the Maître d' at Giovanni's. IMO she runs that restaurant like a top!

3. I honestly forget his name. he is a "very well manicured" server in Giovanni's.

Unfortunately, either none of them are still on board, or they are working different venues. Completely different crew in Giovanni’s last evening.

37 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We are looking at the 154 day WC on Regent Seven Seas Mariner for January 2026 out of Miami. Can get a nice suite for the two of us for~ $100K, and the itinerary is really interesting.

Hmmm...thanks!  Will have to check that out.  🙂  

Already have my thinking cap on for early summer 2026, to run into June and our 30th anniversary.  🙂 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

Hmmm...thanks!  Will have to check that out.  🙂  

Already have my thinking cap on for early summer 2026, to run into June and our 30th anniversary.  🙂 

Not a bad list of included amenities either:

IMG_0072.png

Edited by orville99
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

You better check that again, you sure that isn't $100,000 per person for a Suite?  $200,000 TOTAL

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Not a bad list of included amenities either:

IMG_0072.png

Looks to be an IT screwup, like Royal has done in the past.

On the opening page it says  Bonus Savings  of $66,400 per Suite are included in the 2  for 1 all inclusive fare. Then say learn more............Click on that, then says  "In addition to cruise savings of up to $6,400 per suite included in our featured all-inclusive 2-for-1 fares, our voyages also feature all of the following, all FREE

Believe the regular price for this cruise is like $247,000 per person. So if one is free, you still would be paying over $200,000 for 1 suite (2 people)

Call, them or a request a quote and see what they say.

No way you would get all those free perks for $100,000 for 2 people you listed above.

FE

Bonus savings of $66,400 per suite are included in the featured 2-for-1 all-inclusive fare.
Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

You better check that again, you sure that isn't $100,000 per person for a Suite?  $200,000 TOTAL

Mistyped the original post. It should have read $100K/pp. Since we  would not need to fly from Orlando to Miami, they will also discount the value of the first class airfare both ways. Have been talking to one of their reps for quite a while on this one.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Does anyone know how many are doing the full cruise , 274 nights?

Not sure how many are on the full WC, but there are at least 4 that we have met so far on this cruise that are doing the entire WC as well ~307 days total😱

• Like 3