Oasis of the Seas "New" Cats Review

Drock20J

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

Drock20J was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

It has been a while since I have posted, but if you might remember, I LOVE the musical CATS! I selected this cruise for my 40th birthday and specifically selected to see Cats again. I have seen Cats 11 times now, and of those times, 4 of them have been on OTS. 

When we checked in at our Safety section, we were met by Hakim. I noticed that his badge said entertainment. After a brief discussion, he told us that he is Old Deuteronomy. He invited us to stay after the Saturday night show and meet the cast for pictures. On the way up to the top deck, we ran into Gabbi (and her mom) who plays Syllabub, she too invited us for pictures. Finally, up on the top deck we ran into Charlotte who plays Bombalarunia, she too invited us for the after-show experience. 

On my previous sailing on OTS in 2019, our ship made global news with a breakout of the Norovirus. Two of the cats on this last sailing were ALSO on that norocruise; Charlotte and Jacky (Jellylorum.) The ship's staff was also hit with the bug which meant many members of the entertainment staff we tasked with other jobs. For instance, the CATS cast worked in the Windjammer serving food. 

Back to last week's cruise. I saw both performances of CATS from the 2nd and 3rd row aisle. I was warned beforehand that they made cuts to the show and dropped the intermission. Meaning this show was only 90 minutes. This was not a bad thing. The songs that were cut were not missed and honestly, I was glad they were gone. The show moved much more quickly and was much more enjoyable. 

The cast itself was STELLAR! The talent the actors have is so immense. Not only do they perform a VERY difficult production such as CATS but they also perform another show as well. 

After the Saturday show, my wife and I got to go on stage after the theater had cleared and got to meet the whole cast and get some pictures. It is something I will never forget. 

20231104_214528.jpg

20231103_170543.jpg

20231104_214714.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

It has been a while since I have posted, but if you might remember, I LOVE the musical CATS! I selected this cruise for my 40th birthday and specifically selected to see Cats again. I have seen Cats 11 times now, and of those times, 4 of them have been on OTS. 

When we checked in at our Safety section, we were met by Hakim. I noticed that his badge said entertainment. After a brief discussion, he told us that he is Old Deuteronomy. He invited us to stay after the Saturday night show and meet the cast for pictures. On the way up to the top deck, we ran into Gabbi (and her mom) who plays Syllabub, she too invited us for pictures. Finally, up on the top deck we ran into Charlotte who plays Bombalarunia, she too invited us for the after-show experience. 

On my previous sailing on OTS in 2019, our ship made global news with a breakout of the Norovirus. Two of the cats on this last sailing were ALSO on that norocruise; Charlotte and Jacky (Jellylorum.) The ship's staff was also hit with the bug which meant many members of the entertainment staff we tasked with other jobs. For instance, the CATS cast worked in the Windjammer serving food. 

Back to last week's cruise. I saw both performances of CATS from the 2nd and 3rd row aisle. I was warned beforehand that they made cuts to the show and dropped the intermission. Meaning this show was only 90 minutes. This was not a bad thing. The songs that were cut were not missed and honestly, I was glad they were gone. The show moved much more quickly and was much more enjoyable. 

The cast itself was STELLAR! The talent the actors have is so immense. Not only do they perform a VERY difficult production such as CATS but they also perform another show as well. 

After the Saturday show, my wife and I got to go on stage after the theater had cleared and got to meet the whole cast and get some pictures. It is something I will never forget. 

20231104_214528.jpg

20231103_170543.jpg

20231104_214714.jpg

Only have cruised one other time...it was on Harmony.

We are going on Oasis Dec 3rd. Will see Cats.

Can you give me any ideas of things not to miss. 

Any info would be great. Thank you so much. 

10 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

Harmony and Oasis are BASICALLY the same ship. You will notice that OTS is starting to show her age, but still beautiful! There are a few dinning differences, such as the BBQ restaurant on OTS. 

I prefer the Ice Show on OTS and I prefer Cats over Grease. I think the Aqua show on Harmony is better. 

Just know when you see CATS, that it is in fact a 90-minute musical about dancing cats. As you can see from other people, most people skip it. Either you hate it or love it. I am one that LOVES it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

Even though I thought that the show was a little long I was really impressed with the singing and acting it's almost like as good as if you saw it on Broadway in New York talented talented cast but I think they need to put in a new show katz is a little old and outdated

The cool thing is, that a lot of these actors previously were on Broadway or West End. Or, they go on to perform in those places. I saw Cats on Broadway, and I actually prefer the actors from OTS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlGoodShips said:

Primarily, the Aqua and the Ice show.  The Aqua show takes my breath away especially when they dive from the highest point of the arena.  

I've seen Cats so many times and was going to miss it on my October 20 Oasis sail, but my granddaughter who loves Cats as she's taking dancing lessons convinced this old timer to give it one more time.  She wanted to sit at the aisle seat at the 3rd row and was scared to death when one of the performers was lying next to her in the aisle during the performance.😆

Edited by nelblu
  • Thanks 1

We were on Oasis twice recently and a highlight was CATS which we viewed from the third row and then from the balcony.  Both performances were amazing.

Recommendations...

1. Sit up front (first four rows).  The costumes are amazing.

2. Read a synopsis of the show before going so you know the plot.

3. Pay no attention to the naysayers on this board who think it’s cool

to say they were bored.

two other comments on the shows..

1.  Don’t miss the amazing ice show, including the sand artist.

2.  We felt the Aqua show was too focused on dance and kicking water around and not enough on diving but by all means see it, at least once.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I saw Cats for the first time on the Oct. 15 Oasis sailing. I enjoyed it and I usually don't like the main shows. Yes I would prefer Grease just because it's one of my favorite musicals, but Cats was fine. I don't get the group hate on this board.

• Like 2

I really enjoy CATS and think the cast does an amazing job.  If you are sensitive to cold, you might want to bring a sweater or light jacket.  We have normally sat closer to the stage, so not sure if it's the location.

1 hour ago, jk04 said:

I really enjoy CATS and think the cast does an amazing job.  If you are sensitive to cold, you might want to bring a sweater or light jacket.  We have normally sat closer to the stage, so not sure if it's the location.

YES! It was freezing up front! However it has to be for the actors, even with it being that cold, I can see them pouring out sweat. 

I was on the Oasis from 10/22 to 10/29.  D+ with 28 cruises behind us.  Even my DH and I don't like the same shows on most ships.  On this sailing:

* We sat through about 25 minutes of Cats but that was all we could endure. Both agreed.

* Ice Show - Frozen in Time - started a little slow but picked up quickly and was enjoyed by both of us.

*Aqua80 (water show) - amazing!  Colorful, athletic (to say the least) fast paced, clever, etc. etc. Both agreed>

*Comedians were loud, rude and crude. Not a huge fan of filthy language. (I've heard it, not a prude, just don't want to sit and listen to it on vacation).

*everything else was excellent on the cruise...food, service, weather except tha twe were unable to stop at CoCo Cay because of the terrible wind there (as told to us by the Captain).

We loved Grease, he loved Momma MIa, I despised it and anything to do with ABBA.. Chicago was so-so and We Will Rock You was fantastic.   To each, his own! Just have fun!

• Thanks 1

I fell asleep halfway through Cats.  Bad pacing and boring music.

Mama Mia on Allure and We will Rock You on Anthem has much better music in my opinion.  

Edited by PCHENG
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Harmony and Oasis are BASICALLY the same ship. You will notice that OTS is starting to show her age, but still beautiful! There are a few dinning differences, such as the BBQ restaurant on OTS. 

I prefer the Ice Show on OTS and I prefer Cats over Grease. I think the Aqua show on Harmony is better. 

Just know when you see CATS, that it is in fact a 90-minute musical about dancing cats. As you can see from other people, most people skip it. Either you hate it or love it. I am one that LOVES it. 

Thank you so much for all the info and to all the others that chimed in.

We appreciate any info.

Thank you all.

Also, any pictures of ship would be helpful.

Thank you

Edited by FlGoodShips

15 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

You MUST see the aqua show- it's amazing, especially if you enjoy 80's music- the soundtrack alone is worth seeing. We skip cats because we know we won't enjoy it, and we see so many people say they leave during the show... and I refuse to get up and leave while people are trying to put on a show, I think it's rude. Either don't go or sit through it. Check out the BBQ on Oasis, as well!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PCHENG said:

I fell asleep halfway through Cats.  Bad pacing and boring music.

Mama Mia on Allure and We will Rock You on Anthem has much better music in my opinion.  

If you enjoyed, We Will Rock You, you might enjoy the new production on Oasis "The Sky."

I know it's a bit raunchy but one of the funniest skits was the comedian at the Adult Comedy.  His take on the excursion "Swimming with the Pigs" was absolutely hilarious.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 8:11 PM, Drock20J said:

It has been a while since I have posted, but if you might remember, I LOVE the musical CATS! I selected this cruise for my 40th birthday and specifically selected to see Cats again. I have seen Cats 11 times now, and of those times, 4 of them have been on OTS. —-

Oh wow, I’m green with envy. I have seen Cats several times, and am looking forward to the Oasis transatlantic in Spring. 
How many showings did they have on your cruise? What seating do you recommend?

We may have been on the same sailing?  We sailed on November 5th.  

Been on 30+ cruises in my life....

CATS! was, in my opinion, the least enjoyable show I ever attempted to sit through on a cruise ship.  I gave up after 30 minutes.

If you're a theatre person then, perhaps, there are some redeeming qualities to the show; however, whoever at RCCL made the decision that CATS! was a good decision to perform on a cruise ship -- they should be fired (or fired 10 years ago when the decision was made).  Just not a good "fit" for many, many reasons.  

• Like 1