Carnival Embarkation Drug Searches

txcruiser1234

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

In think everyone should take note of how you pointed out how inefficient this process was .When no one is found with anything while at the same time we hear all these complaints, it has to mean this process is not working while at the same time putting some passengers though unnecessary hassles.

How do you know what they found?   Its their rodeo, it is totally within their rights.  They Re protecting all of our vacations.  I applaud them for doing the right thing.  If it works and reduces the abuse, do more.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Or someone who follows the rules as opposed to ….. the opposite.  

We'd all still be carrying British Pounds if we Americans had a propensity to trust government and bow to authority at every turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wonder if anything would change in, say 5 (or 25!) years when they eventually get around to federal decriminalization or legalization.

Until the IMO removes marijuana from the dangerous drugs list, it really doesn't matter what the US does, it would still be illegal on ships.  Even Holland, where it has been basically decriminalized, does not allow it on ships of their flag, like HAL.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Until the IMO removes marijuana from the dangerous drugs list, it really doesn't matter what the US does, it would still be illegal on ships.  Even Holland, where it has been basically decriminalized, does not allow it on ships of their flag, like HAL.

Gotcha - then it will never be a concern of ours!

9 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I'm confused... you said you no longer cruise Carnival, so how would you know ?

When did I say that? I was on a Carnival ship over Labor Day and have one booked for mid-May. I was on 5 Carnival cruises in the 18 months immediately following the COVID restart.

I am just not a Carnival apologist or shareholder like many on here.

Edited by mz-s

I'm not sure, but, I think the dogs aren't just sniffing for drugs. 

They may be sniffing out explosives too. Also, they might be after articles people might be using to "Save Chairs" on the pool deck!! Like excess amounts of flip-flops, books, sun visors....etc....😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, mz-s said:

Spoken like a fed. We found nothing so our search program is working.

Meanwhile the ships reek of pot every week.

I was about to write the same thing, but you beat me to it by 12 hours. It is a true example of "the operation was a success, but the patient died."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So, the OP saw 50 cruisers searched with no result.  In two cruises, that is about a total of 6000 passengers, so that 50 is 0.8% that were searched and found compliant.  Were others searched at other times than when the OP was present in the terminal?  Was anything found?  OP is looking at a very small data set, IMHO, and extrapolating to inefficiency.

True, but it still says something. You are assuming other searches had different results.

12 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

How do you know what they found?   Its their rodeo, it is totally within their rights.  They Re protecting all of our vacations.  I applaud them for doing the right thing.  If it works and reduces the abuse, do more.  

With all the reports of the ships "reeking of pot smoke", how can you say it works?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

So you agree we need much more and everything they do to address it makes it better.  

17 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

If they did not get results they would not do it. 

What I will say is what they are doing does not seem to be working.

• Like 1

It's pretty obvious that if they did nothing, the problem would certainly be worse.

It can be difficult to find a happy median. Darned if you do, and darned if you don't.

Now, if they can only open their eyes to the lack of hazard that a corkscrew or manicure scissors poses!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If it is profiling, who are they looking for?  Is it possible that there were repeated reports of marijuana use on a balcony on a past cruise, but no one was ever caught?  Were all of the balcony occupants in the vicinity of the reporter suspects and are now being profiled?

22 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's pretty obvious that if they did nothing, the problem would certainly be worse.

It can be difficult to find a happy median. Darned if you do, and darned if you don't.

Now, if they can only open their eyes to the lack of hazard that a corkscrew or manicure scissors poses!

Tom

To quote myself though, if I were pulled aside and basically strip searched, I would be far from a happy camper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Bingo

On 11/10/2023 at 3:32 PM, Essiesmom said:

I was pulled out for luggage search once in, I think Atlanta airport.  We were already through security and check-in.  At the gate waiting, I think.  Not too much after 9/11.  I was on my way to an international destination.  As a middle aged white female with a very American name, I realized I was included to make the group seem diverse.  They were really seeking out the middle eastern travelers.  EM

This.

Shortly after 911, my husband was on out of the country official US government travel (red passport).

He and a woman in line, also with the US red official travel passport, were pulled from the security line for a full luggage check and pat down in full view of the other people on line.

They both realized that they were pulled to be examples.

On the other hand, I was pulled many times for a pat down(invasive) of my bust area.  I was overly blessed in that area and I think they were looking for things like trafficked children, gold bars, bricks of drugs, etc., that could be hidden in my bra.

Bilateral mastectomies ended that problem.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

When did I say that? I was on a Carnival ship over Labor Day. I was on 5 Carnival cruises in the 18 months immediately following the COVID restart.

I am just not a Carnival apologist or shareholder like many on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I cruised the Elation in September, we kept smelling pot coming into our room through the AC units. Reported it a couple of times and security was to our room investigating as best as they could. We did have the service dog sniffing before boarding. It was a momentary delay and not an issue for us. When we got back home to Jaxport there was a slight delay debarking, as we walked past a couple of guests that were by gangway but sitting with all belongings, I joked that I wanted to be in their comfy spot. Not sure if they brought dog back on the ship but these folks were being detained and I was told they were in a naughty spot waiting for law enforcement to board. 

Fast forward to October Elation cruise, same sniff check getting on……. for the first time in 14 cruises since the restart we never smelled pot once on the ship. I made a point of greeting a security person letting him know and that I appreciated their efforts. 

All while carrying my edibles. 🥹

Edited by tree.critter
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 11/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, mz-s said:

The fact that a cruise is an optional activity does not allow the government the right to unreasonable search and seizure in my opinion.

"They are a private company" is a misleading statement that is thrown around a lot these days - and is often not telling the entire truth.

No problem, refuse to be serched, and be denied boarding with no refund, less money they have to pay for your food that you will eat.

Having passingly kept up with this thread I'm a bit flummoxed with talk about government searches and overreach.

This has nothing to do with government. Carnival decided to do screening for those taking drugs aboard. You have consented by agreeing to the cruise contract. See the following from the cruise contract:

4(g) Marijuana, marijuana derivatives, and all illegal controlled substances are strictly prohibited and may not be brought on board any Carnival vessel. Marijuana and all marijuana derivatives are strictly prohibited from Carnival’s vessels, even if they are legal in some states or jurisdictions. Guest hereby expressly agrees that Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s cabin and baggage and/or personal effects for any prohibited items including but not limited to drugs, weapons, and other contraband, at any location, to ensure compliance with these and other restrictions. Guests and their luggage will be routinely and randomly screened by security personnel and screening tools and equipment, including narcotics and contraband sniffing dogs during embarkation, at ports of call and on board. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items and/or attempting to board the Vessel with any such items, may be denied boarding or reboarding and/or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

I've seen discussion as to who is doing the screening. Well, Carnival doesn't spend money unless it has to. If the local port authority or other agency is willing to do the screening cheaper than a private contractor Carnival will have them do it. If not they will hire private contractors. The who is whoever is cheapest.

• Like 3