Hotels in Nice France

clcmdse

Traveling gurus,

We will be staying a few days in Nice before we board our Regent cruise on June 3. Any recommendations for hotels? I have reviewed a few hotel websites, but I cannot tell whether it is better to stay at the beach (but looks to be further away from the action) or to stay in the city center. Would appreciate any advice. 

Catherine

I just stayed at Le Meridan.  I’m a loyal Marriott person.  We had a great garden/sea view and a very big balcony looking over the park.  It was great and the room was a bit odd in design, but we really liked it.  Helped that breakfast was included and had everything!  If you are thinking about relaxing around the pool, forget about that.  There is one set of chairs that would be ok, but in the full sun.  If you want to drink and hop into the pool - that would work well.  The bar up there is very nice.  

Location worked well for us and the tram was within walking distance.  We also did a cooking Le Petite Farcis,  which we really enjoyed.  Loved the Chagall museum, also.  

We also have used Le Meridian in Nice (and the one in Monte Carlo) and found both hotels very nice and had everything we needed. Not top end luxury but very good.
As I recall, the beach closest to the hotel was stones, not sand. Rented a Sixt rental car right in the hotel for a drive into Provence. 

It's been quite a few years but we had a very nice stay at the Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Méditerranée. Good location, very walkable. Large room, beautiful breakfast venue overlooking the sea. Very accommodating staff.

• Like 1

We will be on the same cruise! We've been to Nice several times and really enjoy it, but this time we'll probably get an Airbnb or similar in a smaller nearby town... Menton, Antibes, something along those lines. Nice is wonderful but we think we'd enjoy a quiet little town before the cruise. I know we'll get into Nice for ice cream at our favorite glacière, though!

Maybe we'll see you on the ship... We are so excited about the itinerary!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas. And to Chateaunole-du- pape, we are also excited about this cruise! We had not thought of an Airbnb. That may be something to consider given the high rates in some of the hotels at this time of year (700 - 900 euros).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clcmdse said:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas. And to Chateaunole-du- pape, we are also excited about this cruise! We had not thought of an Airbnb. That may be something to consider given the high rates in some of the hotels at this time of year (700 - 900 euros).

I've found some very nice looking apartments in the vicinity on Airbnb for $100-200 per night!

Look at Hotel la Perouise Nice. At the east end of Old Town, walking distance to most locations and dining. . Very charming, quiet, built into the mountain and had a pool. I loved the location and it is considered a luxury hotel 

• Like 2

For anyone who likes old fashioned and historic hotels, you can't beat the Negresco.  But it is not for those who like modernism and all the up to date bells and whistles.  Have a look at the reviews and make your mind up.  We loved it, and stayed there courtesy of Regent after a Mediterranean cruise some years which ended in Monaco, two nights b and b and the flights to the UK included.

• Like 1

La Reserve de Bueaulieu is on the ocean in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, about midway between Nice and Monte Carlo, just under Eze Village, and is one of the most gorgeous small hotels I've ever been to. They have a Michelin 2-star restaurant, which we enjoyed more than the three-star Louis XV in Monte Carlo. The rooms are decorated with black and white photos of the celebrities who've stayed in those very rooms through the years. Our room had photos of Walt & Lillian Disney, and Rita Hayworth. 

Edited by GMIAC

On 11/13/2023 at 4:48 PM, CardowMD said:

Look at Hotel la Perouise Nice. At the east end of Old Town, walking distance to most locations and dining. . Very charming, quiet, built into the mountain and had a pool. I loved the location and it is considered a luxury hotel 

We stayed there and it was lovely and convenient.  I do believe though that our room required stairs so that is something to consider.

Suggest you stay in Beaulieu Sur Mer or Villefranche Sur Mer instead of Nice. Both are wonderful little Riviera towns within easy reach of Nice. Can use bus or train to get back and forth within about 15 minutes. Also easy to jump on the train for a quick trip to Monte Carlo. The Reserve in Beaulieu is very high end as is the Hotel Riviera. For something a little different the Hotel Welcome in Villefranche is great. Not as fancy but great location and wonderful staff.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:12 PM, Flgreg said:

It's been quite a few years but we had a very nice stay at the Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Méditerranée. Good location, very walkable. Large room, beautiful breakfast venue overlooking the sea. Very accommodating staff.

We were there in April and it’s still wonderful. 

On 11/15/2023 at 11:21 PM, Fred321 said:

Suggest you stay in Beaulieu Sur Mer or Villefranche Sur Mer instead of Nice. Both are wonderful little Riviera towns within easy reach of Nice. Can use bus or train to get back and forth within about 15 minutes. Also easy to jump on the train for a quick trip to Monte Carlo. The Reserve in Beaulieu is very high end as is the Hotel Riviera. For something a little different the Hotel Welcome in Villefranche is great. Not as fancy but great location and wonderful staff.

in Villefranche the Welcome hotel is convenient but imho far too expensive for what yout get

On 11/12/2023 at 12:12 PM, Flgreg said:

I agree with that, Baby!  ... although I was last there before it became a Hyatt.

palais_de_la_mediterranee.thumb.jpg.7a6da6c9190c1a15b722062bc4de6106.jpg

I also recommend dining at Olivera, an easy walk to Vieux Nice (old town).

https://oliviera.com/restaurant/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 4:35 PM, clcmdse said:

Traveling gurus,

We will be staying a few days in Nice before we board our Regent cruise on June 3. Any recommendations for hotels? I have reviewed a few hotel websites, but I cannot tell whether it is better to stay at the beach (but looks to be further away from the action) or to stay in the city center. Would appreciate any advice. 

Catherine

Le Chevre D'or in Eze is my go to when in that area.

16 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Le Chevre D'or in Eze is my go to when in that area.

It's beautiful there (we had an off-the-charts lunch at Chateau Eza), but do you find the no-cars/climbing to the top of the hill problematic? 

2 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

It's beautiful there (we had an off-the-charts lunch at Chateau Eza), but do you find the no-cars/climbing to the top of the hill problematic? 

No, not at all.

The limo driver drops us off and then we get help with luggage for the walk to reception and our room.

I love the wine list there and the view from one of the tables near to the glass windows

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newlondon said:

As I posted above, this is a spectacular hotel. The view from the dining room is unequaled.

Very easy drive to Nice or even Monaco. One of our favorites. 

I was recently in the area and saw this hotel, but with the masses of folks visiting Eze,  looks like a spot that you are stuck at the hotel.  Does it become enchanting after 6 when people leave? 

33 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I was recently in the area and saw this hotel, but with the masses of folks visiting Eze,  looks like a spot that you are stuck at the hotel.  Does it become enchanting after 6 when people leave? 

The hotel is enchanting with or without people.

You'd have to stay there to experience it.

Being stuck in the south of France is very appealing to many of us and I make it happen as often as possible.