Port Everglades Closed

radarcruiser

Every ship (commercial at least) entering the port as a designated tugboat provider.  This is part of the reason changing ports/itineraries isn't so easy.  On Port Everglades site, it shows the Tug Provider is McAllister Towing.

I would expect on many days, this is but a formality, but on a day like this, obviously its needed.

image.thumb.png.6023d0f5fe5bf18242ef9303bce83022.png

1 hour ago, shellunderwater said:

Every ship (commercial at least) entering the port as a designated tugboat provider.  This is part of the reason changing ports/itineraries isn't so easy.  On Port Everglades site, it shows the Tug Provider is McAllister Towing.

I would expect on many days, this is but a formality, but on a day like this, obviously its needed.

image.thumb.png.6023d0f5fe5bf18242ef9303bce83022.png

Cruise ships usually dock without tug boats. Cargo vessels always need them as they have no thrusters.

3 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

The captain just announced that the pilot boat is on the way.   They'll decide whether it's safe to go in or do another go around.

Hi, Sue!

Looks as if we're ships passing again.  I will be boarding the Silhouette on Monday for her Thanksgiving cruise.  Hope you make it into port.  The winds have been fierce even over here in SW Florida!  And it rained all day yesterday which we desperately needed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The same questions come up for Tampa disembarkation as well.  Fog has shut the port down for hours on occasion.   You can't fight mother nature.  In our case we get a hotel the day we get off and take a flight the next day.  Having a few more Bloody Caesars is a great stress reliever when weather disrupts the best made plans. 

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Cruise ships usually dock without tug boats. Cargo vessels always need them as they have no thrusters.

Whether a cruise ship docks with or without tugs is set by the port authority.  Most cruise ships don't want the black smudges from the tug's tire fenders on their pristine white paint, so they tell the tugs to "stand by", but the cruise line pays for them anyway.

Tankers and bulkers almost never have thrusters, but container ships generally have them.  They are not as many as cruise ships have (usually only one bow thruster), nor are there generally stern thrusters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hi, Sue!

Looks as if we're ships passing again.  I will be boarding the Silhouette on Monday for her Thanksgiving cruise.  Hope you make it into port.  The winds have been fierce even over here in SW Florida!  And it rained all day yesterday which we desperately needed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Linda!  I hope you have a smoother cruise.  The port was crazy with people arriving and leaving on the same area but we made it to the airport in time for our flight.   

Enjoy your Thanksgiving onboard!

6 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I'm not sure why everyone takes such satisfaction in pointing to one rare occurrence and saying, "Toldja so!" 

Well we did.  I remember the shooter at FLL

I remember the time a fire extinguisher went off and disembarkation was stopped.

I remember the time when customs and immigration guys went on strike/slow down or did not bother to show up.

I remember the time when the "jetway" would not connect.

Ship happens and be prepared for the unexpected.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I can see multiple people on their balconies right now so unless they are all B2B or they just ignored the request to leave, I think so.

We were able to stay in our cabin for a good bit.  Steward was ok with it.  Some people went down at normal times.

5 hours ago, C 2 C said:

The same questions come up for Tampa disembarkation as well.  Fog has shut the port down for hours on occasion.   You can't fight mother nature.  In our case we get a hotel the day we get off and take a flight the next day.  Having a few more Bloody Caesars is a great stress reliever when weather disrupts the best made plans. 

We have started doing this as well.  We go in at least one day early, and then stay at an airport hotel after we disembark and then we fly home a day later.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

We have started doing this as well.  We go in at least one day early, and then stay at an airport hotel after we disembark and then we fly home a day later.

that's what we do if flying.. much more relaxing..for those who have the time.

Even if driving over from the west coast  we arrive at our pre cruise hotel a day ahead.

Wishing  those coming or going..safe travels.  Patience!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I'm not sure why everyone takes such satisfaction in pointing to one rare occurrence and saying, "Toldja so!" 

When asked if you can make an (insert time here) AM flight, so many say "sure, no problem". The point is that the majority of time it can work out, but the reality is there is always the chance of a weather, mechanical, port, etc related issue. This is why people point it out and caution doing so if you don't have a plan B.

• Thanks 3

my husb is on west coast..up in Venice this week. Alot of rain and wind but rain  was needed as we have been in a long period of  drought..

The weather outlook overall should improve. He made a tee time for today ( Fri)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RTShaker said:

When asked if you can make an (insert time here) AM flight, so many say "sure, no problem". The point is that the majority of time it can work out, but the reality is there is always the chance of a weather, mechanical, port, etc related issue. This is why people point it out and caution doing so if you don't have a plan B.

Yes, exactly.

But its more fun to infer much more and bash someone for simply pointing out the fact this is an example of why booking early can be a bad idea.

Can it work, yep.

Does it usually work, yep.

Will it always work, nope and here is why....

No one is taking any satisfaction in the dilemma these folks found themselves in due to weather.  But, facts are facts, this was a good example of what can go wrong.  Doesn't make it any better for the folks affected, but it is a very current example of the risk of cruising and booking flights.

Some day on this board, a reply to the "can I make an (insert time) post will be, "I remember this one time our ship couldn't enter Port Everglades due to the winds and seas being too rough to bring the pilot out."  I'll be my bucket of popcorn on it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was impressed how Celebrity handled this difficult situation with boarding everyone so late.  The line to get into the terminal was horrendous, but everyone waited patiently.  It moved pretty fast and we were in the terminal in a half hour. The security and check in lines took another half hour but it was done quite well with the large crowd.  We then went up to a large waiting room with seats in sectioned areas to wait for our section to be allowed to go to the ship.  It looked like it could a very long time but it was only another half hour and we were on the ship.  

I must commend Celebrity for providing a very orderly and efficient way to handle this most unusual situation. 

• Like 5

FYI, the weather is absolutely beautiful down here in Ft. Laud today, and it's expected to remain like this for the entire weekend.  The intense winds and rains we saw this week were brutal and honestly uncharacteristic for this time of year.

To those who say we should expect the unexpected, that is true, but if you play the odds, this wasn't normal mid-November weather here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1