The World Works Here - what is this??

Honolulu Blue

Hi guys. I'm cruising on the Magic RIGHT NOW. This is our last sea day and this main theater show popped up in the Fun Times. Here's the description:20231116_1809312.thumb.jpg.b850b1126745ab2ff055a00df418efb7.jpg

The description makes is sound like a hybrid between a typical Playlist extravaganza; a crew talent show; and a squishy love-in featuring unicorns and rainbows. 🦄🌈

So, I'm asking you Carnival experts out there... what is this? Is it exclusive to the Magic? Is it worth wasting my time on? I didn't find anything about this when I did my research prior to the cruise. 

Thanks in advance for any information or advice. 

17 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

This is when Carnival pulls crewmembers from their fulltime jobs and puts them on a stage holding the flag of their nation. When you're looking for your second cup of coffee at dinner your server is working there instead of here at your table 🙂 

Thanks for the detail. I don't think I work the crew too hard, but doesn't everyone say that? 😁

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for the detail. I don't think I work the crew too hard, but doesn't everyone say that? 😁

Seriously though, I do think Carnival asks the crew to do too much at times. Telling an oiler in the engine room after their shift they have to parade around on stage in the main lounge in front of guests, for example. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

When you're looking for your second cup of coffee at dinner your server is working there instead of here at your table 🙂 

Second cup?? On the Valor two weeks ago we were lucky to get the first cup we requested, and the MDR crew weren't doing double duty in the show lounge either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Are there any particular reasons why, if you care to share? TIA.

My wife and I go to all the shows every night, one of the things we really enjoy, just hanging out together.

After sitting through this one, it was not a show in our eyes.

More of an employee introduction. 

That's all.

I go out of my way during the week to say hello and ask how each one is doing during the week.

We'll use that slot time to go to another event

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rainbowflag said:

This is when Carnival pulls crewmembers from their fulltime jobs and puts them on a stage holding the flag of their nation. When you're looking for your second cup of coffee at dinner your server is working there instead of here at your table 🙂 

Not all the crew members on the stage are holding the flag of the country they are from

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rainbowflag said:

Seriously though, I do think Carnival asks the crew to do too much at times. Telling an oiler in the engine room after their shift they have to parade around on stage in the main lounge in front of guests, for example. 

I have always assumed the performers at crew talent shows are volunteers,  or at worst they receive some incentive for performing rather than working.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thesmiths said:

My wife and I go to all the shows every night, one of the things we really enjoy, just hanging out together.

After sitting through this one, it was not a show in our eyes.

More of an employee introduction. 

That's all.

I go out of my way during the week to say hello and ask how each one is doing during the week.

We'll use that slot time to go to another event

Noted. Thanks. BTW, I'm picky about the shows I choose to go to.

49 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I have always assumed the performers at crew talent shows are volunteers,  or at worst they receive some incentive for performing rather than working.

That's my point, when we went it wasn't like a good ol' Crew Talent Show Night when they would volunteer to perform. This was just a parade of flags with the CD reciting a scripted Carnival focused spiel. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, rainbowflag said:

Do you know that Carnival makes them do that or is that possibly something that is an option for them? Maybe they ask for volunteers from the crew who want to participate?

It is definitely a peace, love touchy feely show. Not a regular production show at all. The best part are the kids in it. They worked really hard to learn sign language for a part of it.  My GD enjoyed being in it. We would not watch it again, unless we have a kid in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 11:32 AM, rainbowflag said:

That's my point, when we went it wasn't like a good ol' Crew Talent Show Night when they would volunteer to perform. This was just a parade of flags with the CD reciting a scripted Carnival focused spiel. 

Sounds kind of like glass half full or glass half empty kind of comment

• Haha 1