Hole-punched on newer proximity room cards

CH_ca

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

My Nieuw Amsterdam verandah stateroom card in October did not have a punched hole.  While standing in a long Embarkation Day line, a crew member moved down the line punching slots at the top of stateroom cards.

I have purchased a slot puncher for my upcoming cruises.

Just curious...why do you want a hole punched in your key card ?  

Not long ago it meant that the bearer wasn't old enough to drink alcohol.

I have a feeling we're not talking about that....:)    

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Haha 1

Just now, Boatdrill said:

Just curious...why do you want a hole punched in your key card ?  

I wear my stateroom card on a lanyard whenever I am not showering or sleeping. 

On a Disembarkation Eve at 11:45 PM while I was wearing only my pajama bottoms, my toe slipped while pushing my luggage into the hallway and the door shut.  Fortunately, the Front Desk line had only three other passengers ahead of me that night.  Lesson learned.

As a solo cruiser, there could be nobody else to open my door if I my keycard is not around my neck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I keep my card on a wrist coil. Flops around a bit,  so a flimsy link on the punch hole can break. It is my long-standing habit now - to have my card always on me.

I believe I got the tip to use a wrist coil on CC years ago. 

• Like 1

Just a question: if the card is inside a plastic cover, does this allow a tap to open the cabin door or pay for drinks? Or do you just use the card alone attached to the lanyard? What happens if there is no hole punched on the card and you use a plastic cover for the card on your lanyard?

53 minutes ago, Funsun60 said:

Just a question: if the card is inside a plastic cover, does this allow a tap to open the cabin door or pay for drinks? Or do you just use the card alone attached to the lanyard? What happens if there is no hole punched on the card and you use a plastic cover for the card on your lanyard?

I have a lanyard with a plastic sleeve that hold the card and it works just fine to open the stateroom door and when i order something from the bar i just hand it over lanyard and all and they do not remove the card from the sleeve to scan it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reader sends out a signal which is picked up by the antenna. That creates a charge which powers a capacitor. Once the capacitor is charged it powers the circuit which sends out a numeric code.

Each reader is designed to work with a defined series of codes. Once a new, valid code is presented, the reader won't accept the old code. Most readers have a bunch of parallel code series. That's how multiple people can have keys. Otherwise, if one key was lost, they would all have to be replaced. 

The copper patterns around the outside are the antennae. You can't break the circuit or the capacitor won't charge.
Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kirkc said:

25+ cruises and I’ve always carried my card in my pocket. Just a matter of choice.

Me as well. 

Not a big deal but i often wonder why so many people like to wear their key or medallion on a lanyard around their neck?  Reminds me of being a kid at summer camp. 

Key in pocket for me.   Of course I also wonder why in the world people would spend $$ to buy special bracelets etc to hold a medallion but obiously they must sell as cruise lines sure like to push all the accessories.  I have a drawer full of old key cards and don't need more memorablilia...but that is just me maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dockman said:

my ex always seemed to find a place for a credit card no matter what she wore....as amex said...don't leave home without it.

I am not one to use the "breast safe" (not saying your ex did or did not) so no pocket/no wallet = lanyard (or similar)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, POA1 said:

As long as you don't punch through the antenna, or the chip you're fine.

UHF-RFID-cards-1.jpg.28f966d01737780b8438e7b7fdca3eb4.jpg

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

The reader sends out a signal which is picked up by the antenna. That creates a charge which powers a capacitor. Once the capacitor is charged it powers the circuit which sends out a numeric code.

Each reader is designed to work with a defined series of codes. Once a new, valid code is presented, the reader won't accept the old code. Most readers have a bunch of parallel code series. That's how multiple people can have keys. Otherwise, if one key was lost, they would all have to be replaced. 

The copper patterns around the outside are the antennae. You can't break the circuit or the capacitor won't charge.

Thanks for the picture & explanations. Nice to learn something new. 😃 Do you know if HAL's room key has the same antenna pattern as the one you showed? When I look at the actual room key, relative to your picture with the magnetic strip on the back, the safe spot would be the middle right edge of the card. That's where the customer service punch the hole that disabled my room key. 😕

Princess switched to these crown shaped discs you wear on a lanyard provided by them. They automatically unlock your door, you can check your standing bill, pay bills, do laundry on the machines, etc. I really liked them and thought they were a great idea. Of course they sent out emails promoting that you customize them at a cost. It was weird walking up the hall and hearing your cabin unlock, though. 

6 hours ago, CH_ca said:

Thanks for the picture & explanations. Nice to learn something new. 😃 Do you know if HAL's room key has the same antenna pattern as the one you showed? When I look at the actual room key, relative to your picture with the magnetic strip on the back, the safe spot would be the middle right edge of the card. That's where the customer service punch the hole that disabled my room key. 😕

Almost all key cards have the same antenna pattern. There are some with more loops that are designed to work further from the transmitter, but "hotel keys" are almost always like the one shown. (Probably without the magnetic strip, though.)

A punch can disable the cards by piercing the antenna or the chip. So, how far in AND the side of the card matters.

Just trying to rehabilitate Science because it took an awful beating these past few years. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Actual cabin key Jan 2022.   Unfortunately did not keep one for Jan 2023 but it was same configuration. I punched hole myself.   However things could have changed...

No lumps in the card indicating chip.   HAL could be cutting costs by not embedding chip. Also we take the cards home with us.  Now if someone can open up...

CabinKey

Edited by SFO Peter

We have only been an a handful of cruises so far but like my card on a lanyard.  I leave it on a hook by the door next to my cane and never leave the room without it.  It hangs around my neck and I put the attached card in my shirt pocket.  I do not like things in my pants pockets.

We tried the clear plastic sleave on our last cruise on the Eurodam, but the card was too big to fit into the sleave.  The Sales Person in the Gift Shop punched the card for us.  I also like the lanyard as a memento of our trip.

With so many guests used to and enjoying lanyards, as well as lanyards for sale in the ship's shop; you would think the cards would be supplied with the hole. Barring that the staff in customer service (including the Neptune concierges) should know exactly where to punch that card without ruining it.

I don’t often have slacks or shorts with pockets, and got tired of accidentally dipping my lanyard into my plate, so a few years ago I started using a badge reel holder that clips onto the waistband or pocket (if there is one).  I’ve never had an issue getting my card punched to attach it to the holder. 

• Like 1