Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

38 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

I believe it’s Raffles Hotel,,,you should have tried the famous Singapore Sling in the Long Bar,,,only $26.

Enjoying your travel……

No where near as strong as that served on Singapore Airlines!😱

• Like 1

Wow, prices are crazy, $26 for a drink!    We are enjoying Seabourn and everything is mostly included except for high end wines and any tours.    We have noticed that extra cost events have been added, Scotch Tastings, whiskey tastings, wine tastings and special wine paired lunches and dinners.    Believe it is their way of adding revenue.    We didn’t notice any of this on our South Pacific crossing in April.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

I believe it’s Raffles Hotel,,,you should have tried the famous Singapore Sling in the Long Bar,,,only $26.

Enjoying your travel……

It does make me wonder  Raphael's Hotel.  

I will be in Swissotel The Stamford next to Raffles Hotel next month showing my Spanish friend around in Singapore.

Edited by verizon

Off we go.   

4 hours ago, Von & John said:

Jim & Iain  --  Wishing you an Amazing time in Singapore & Wow what a cruise!

We truly enjoyed our time in Singapore & stayed @ Royal Plaza on Scotts, both times pre C-19...

Looking at some future cruises in that area 🙂 

Johnny's spent much time in Australia & I've spent time in New Zealand - we'd like to do a land trip to both countries @ this point, it will most likely have to wait until I retire to do the trip justice.

Of course, we a envision cruise either to travel to that side of the world or return.

As always, Thanks for a Wonderful Live Review!

Cheers from Talkeetna - Von

Thanks Von -   I know what you mean about waiting for retirement.   Prior to retirement we were lucky if we could fit in 2 - 2 week cruises a year.    Our financial candlers one coincided 2 times a year.

Jim,  I am really enjoying reading about Singapore.  None of it seems even familiar to me.  The last time I was in Singapore was in the 1970's while serving in the military.  I spent one night in a hotel but it was the Ming Court Hotel.  

I did have a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar in Raffles thought.  

My most favorable memories were of the Tiger Balm Gardens which were simply beautiful.  Makes me want to go and break out all my old photo's from back then.  Since it was long before digital media, they were all taken with my old Asai Pentax SLR. 

Please keep your wonderful stories and pictures coming. 

• Like 4

On 11/20/2023 at 4:52 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks much.    It is hard to believe so my years have gone by.    We are like the Odd have say that he is first my Best Friend in the world.   Of course I am Oscar  (Jack Klugman).  

I never really came out .    I had fraught my inner self because I didn't want to be Gay.  Of course everything including ---- Oh NO Conversion Therapy.   Trust me it is the worst quack "medical/physocologic torture that could ever be done to and Individual.  

I finally figured out at 32 that with  3 kids I love dearly that I had to finally let my Wive of 12 years that I couldn't live a lie for the rest of my life.    The response was almost a mirror of the 1982 Movie "Making Love" with Michael Ontkean and Kate Jackson.

My wife was so angry she outed me to the world including my boss, parent and friends.   It was tough because  because I didn't yet know what it meant to be a Gay Man and also got fired from my job.  

I probably shouldn't be sharing all of this.   I met a wonderful hulk of a Guy that was 6'9"  he was my everything -  He Died of Aids 37 years ago today.   In those day there were no drugs or treatment and when diagnosed was a death sentence.   My next try at a relationship was also a failure -  He committed Suicide. 

I swore off relationships.    Eventually I met Iain after deciding to get my head back together and saw a Counselor for just 4 visits.   He was a very results only counselor and describing all my terrible relationships he gave me my assignment -  

Make a list of everything  of importance of Values, Character, Qualities and Things I enjoy   in your perfect mate.  Took me a full week to compile and I came back with the list.   He took the list and sealed it.    Now let's talk where you will meet that perfect person.  

I met Iain on what they called a Bulletin Chat Board.    I'm was not looking for one night stands nor was Iain.   We chatted and chatted for over 6 months and then finally met for a cup of coffee.   What can I say -   I already knew him and he was exactly as I dreamed and had everything on that list.   

OK i'm stubborn - I said I really like him and love our dating but for me I need to live alone for 6 months before committing to a relationship.    He was certain of what he wanted so he hopped in his car (and he can barely drive) and rented an apartment 3 blocks from my home.   

We almost made the 6 months but the Big Loma Prierta Earthquake hit the day his Concert Grand Piano was delivered to my house.    October 17, 1989 5:04PM. 

I spent 12 hours of terror -  He works in the city and was walking from the Federal Reserve to the Train Station at that exact time.    I started hearing of buildings collapsing on his route then on the highway collapses.     This was before cellphones and the few payphones had lines miles long to make a call .    I sat at the trains stations with no news and no trains until I saw a single engin coming down the tracks at 15 miles an hours checking the tracks and bridges.

It wasn't until early morning that the first train arrived.   We were in tears by the time we finally knew each other were ok.    

That became the day we moved in together.  

Ahh, Loma Prieta!  I worked in the Bank Of America HQ building 1978-1995 and had left work to take the Golden Gate Ferry home that day, walking under the Embarcadero Freeway overpass about an hour before the earthquake damaged it.  Although I have been on the ferry during other earthquakes, I was off and driving home, when it felt like my car was having car trouble. After the Bay Bridge collapse, the ferries all over the bay area were pulled into service to get commuters to and from work. I got home and the only damage I could find was a vase fell onto the carpet and didn't break.  My now hubby was at the Giants/Oakland A's world series game with his then wife. I like to think of the ferry commute as a mini cruise twice a day! It certainly was the love boat! 🙂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Food was also superb and plentiful.   The biggest problem is how do you schedule your meal on an 18 hour flight and adjust to arrival time at the same time.

I don't think I could do an 18 hour flight, my wife says she believes she could. I was getting a bit goofy on a 5 1/2 hour flight to San Juan.

15 hours ago, ging466 said:

Wow have David and Robert been together that long? I remember when David met Robert, I used to call Robert 'Twinky'...bet you can't guess who I am?🤣 I think I met you even before Robert. 

Ask David if he can guess🤣

Cheers

ging466

Will do.    I won't see them for about 2 1/2 hours.    I'm an early bird.   Iain will not be out of bed until at least 9:30.   

I'm sure David will be able to figure you our...   I saw come clues in you signature.

At his age of about 58 he is still a Twink to many of us.   

13 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

Enjoying your travel……

Your correct --- typos are my middle name.     We did go by the Long Bar but didn't grab a drink and Iain never drinks until about 6PM -   even on a cruise. 

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Wow, prices are crazy, $26 for a drink!    We are enjoying Seabourn and everything is mostly included except for high end wines and any tours.    We have noticed that extra cost events have been added, Scotch Tastings, whiskey tastings, wine tastings and special wine paired lunches and dinners.    Believe it is their way of adding revenue.    We didn’t notice any of this on our South Pacific crossing in April.

The Singapore Sling was invented at the Raffles Hotel (not on the ship).  The Long Bar is a HUGE Tourist attraction and often a 20-30 minute wait just to be seated.    Everything at Raffles is overpriced.    As I said early,   the cheapest golf cap I saw was $115.  

The good news that price is in S$ (about a 25% discount to the Dollar).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jim, We boarded Solstice three weeks ago at Singapore. I recollected you asked on our RC about dropping off large suit bags to the luggage guys rather than carrying them through the terminal. Unfortunately I confused the guy on the desk when I asked. We were not in a Suite and I did not see any specific drop off area for Retreat guests. Embarkation was slow but may have been due to checking of Vietnam visa a for our cruise.

You must set aside a few hours for a walk around the Botanic Park and the Orchid gardens. Our Singapore highlight. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, verizon said:

It does make me wonder  Raphael's Hotel.  

I will be in Swissotel The Stamford next to Raffles Hotel next month showing my Spanish friend around in Singapore.

Great -  When working in Singapore for a couple months I was staying at the Westin which is across the street from Raphael's .     It was in the 90's and Raphael''s was being renovated -  The roof had been removed and I would watch daily as they were putting in the current swimming pool.     

Swissotel is a nice place and great location.

16 hours ago, ging466 said:

Wow have David and Robert been together that long? I remember when David met Robert, I used to call Robert 'Twinky'...bet you can't guess who I am?🤣 I think I met you even before Robert. 

Cheers

ging466

Now you have me scratching your head.    I met David in 1977 when I was working for Amdahl Computer and he was working for FlyWay (my customs broker).   We hit it off and became good friends.   With out heavy travel we use to meet up for dinner all over the world.   Our wives knew each other.     Our coming out followed a similar course.

Would I have met you when I was down for Sydney Gay Parade?   I think that was probably around 1986.  That would have been before Neil and he was with a REAL twink.  

10 hours ago, odysee said:

Hi Jim 

following your adventures.

when we did the New Zealand cruise in Nov 2018 one of the highlights was Postman‘s tour, a real insider tip at the time :
https://akaroamailrun.com/

you can also check it out on Trip Advisor.

nice travels

I will have to check it our.   I think we have something already booked.   Have to keep a spreadsheet to keep track of all the tours.

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I don't think I could do an 18 hour flight, my wife says she believes she could. I was getting a bit goofy on a 5 1/2 hour flight to San Juan.

The worst part is Getting your mind wrapped around it before you leave.   After your arrive you think back and say --- It really wasn't that bad.  

• Like 2

Our afternoon was kinda quiet.   David and Robert got in around 3:30.   They are staying at the same hotel.

We did have some trouble getting down to their room.  The elevators are controlled by your room key and will only let you push a button for lobby or your room.   Robert had to meet us in the Lobby to bring us up to their room.  

We each later got a duplicate key and swapped so we can get to each other's floor.

We met  and caught up and then back to Bugis Center.   We picked up some nibbles and wine at the Grocery store.    We had to give David a big ribbing as he accidentally bought a $68.00 bottle of wine.   He thought the label said $10.   

We all cleaned up after chatting and met again to go to dinner.   We ended up eating at a place near Bugis -   Chinese Food -  it was way to hot for my taste but everyone else seemed to enjoy. 

IMG_0420.thumb.jpeg.b81ce3248f725a53c19bbce37d3a3b86.jpeg

IMG_0421.thumb.jpeg.86e957f4d2e6266c62bf61d30cc6f77f.jpeg

maybe we should have realized most of the dishes were FROG.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11
  • Haha 10

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

when I was working for Amdahl Computer

Wow...I started at IBM in '72, working on 360s...heard his name tossed around umpteen times...

And thanks for sharing your story...some tough times for sure...I was living in SF when AIDS reared its ugly head...lost a few friends myself then and later in NYC...

Never forgot...Silence = Death...I'm sure you remember...

On a more upbeat note...Happy Thanksgiving and onward to new memories!!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ging466 said:

Cheers

ging466

David knew immediately.    Didn't realize you were cruising so much.  We were all such babies when I first met you. 

Iain's first guess was Jen but  said she's not a Ginger.    My first guess was Kevin's Wife - Roz wasn't it.     So I did meet you on my first trip to Australia. 

You know exactly who I was talking about ---- Super Twink. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

28 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Wow...I started at IBM in '72, working on 360s...heard his name tossed around umpteen times...

And thanks for sharing your story...some tough times for sure...I was living in SF when AIDS reared its ugly head...lost a few friends myself then and later in NYC...

Never forgot...Silence = Death...I'm sure you remember...

On a more upbeat note...Happy Thanksgiving and onward to new memories!!

LOL -- I was working for Amdahl and was coming down to Install one of our first commuter at Qantas.    At that time our production was 1 commuter a quarter and I would accompany them as an On-Board courier with 20,000 pounds of "Luggage". 

I chuckle when I think those Super Computer had 2 Meg Memory Cabinet that weighed over 1,000 pounds. 

My daughter wished me a Happy Thanksgiving about an hour ago and I looked at Iain and said What day is it --- He Said Thanksgiving that's why I wished you a Happy Thanksgiving when I got up....   Duhhhh.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The worst part is Getting your mind wrapped around it before you leave.   After your arrive you think back and say --- It really wasn't that bad.  

The downside (about the only one 😉 ) to living in Australia, everywhere else is sooo far away 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Great -  When working in Singapore for a couple months I was staying at the Westin which is across the street from Raphael's .     It was in the 90's and Raphael''s was being renovated -  The roof had been removed and I would watch daily as they were putting in the current swimming pool.     

Swissotel is a nice place and great location.

Tallest hotel in South East Asia 

I love the restaurant at 68 floor (I think)

have booked the harbor view room at US 470/night with breakfast included 

Edited by verizon