Jonathan 'Cookie' Adams resigns

jsglow

7 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,  Mark wasn’t ever in a band, sorry, guess it was another Mark who worked for Carnival. Yes, our son worked onboard a few years before the 2020 Covid shutdown. He went back to the Fun Squad on the Panorama very briefly in 2021. But, he felt like the mask police & that too many of guests were giving the staff a hard time. The general loss of manners. He’s doing well and is working with his Dad in our family owned business - 30+ years! Mark will take it over one day. So, it all worked out.  

🛳️🛳️

Bobbi

I had it wrong but I remember you talking about him. Sometimes things have a funny way of working out. At least he can say he had the experience and no what ifs. 

• Like 1

I was on the cruise, not sure if anyone mentioned what the joke was, but I was on the lido and recall him saying something like, ‘we are going to have fun, you’ve been waiting many months for the cruise and if you are not ready to have fun you can dive off the back and swim home’…it got a good laugh, if that offended anyone, well, they are miserable people.  

As far as his persona the 5 days he was onboard, it was nothing special, the same overplayed persona and jokes/references that have been made a million times the last 10-15 years. He did have good energy and was way more present around the ship than any other CD we’ve had other than Kendall Fire (the best!!)

If that joke was the reason he separated, I’d have to say there were many other things that have been addressed, however why would carnival place a questionable CD on their flagship? Who knows?!?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nycruise1 said:

I have never sailed with him, but if this truly is the sole cause of his dismissal, I feel it is an overreaction.  He could have been asked to issue a public apology, something to the effect that it was a poor choice of words and he got caught up in the moment.  Had he made a racist or sexist or homophobic comment, I would have seen that differently.

He’s a black gay man, 90% of his jokes were related to race, gender or homophobic.  This is carnival’s blueprint for most of the passenger facing roles…this jump off and swim home joke, may have been the only joke he made the entire 5 days that wasn’t about gender, sexuality or race.  

On 11/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, stobe1 said:

Im sure the sound was recorded on board and they used existing video of the ship from land and just overlayed the sound over the video. Im no TikTok expert but I think thats what happened here. This happens with TikTok and YouTube videos all the time. 

I was on the the ship, I’m just getting home and trying to figure out why he was booted with 2 days left…but I believe (from memory) that this was mid morning on day 2, the first sea day. So we were waaaayyyyyyyy off shore when this was said. And the first 2 days were CRAZY windy on board, it sucked!!! 

Edited by rizkeeper

18 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I read this announcement: Adams announced on social media. “This was a decision made by me for me. No I wasn’t fired, no I wasn’t forced to do it, I decided after 9 years of giving myself to everyone around me it’s now time to focus on me and what I want for my next chapter.” 

Yes, that's what he said publicly. Would you expect anything different?

On 11/24/2023 at 3:35 PM, shof515 said:

i am surprised the lido sound system is that loud that you can hear it from land. i know on the ship they always have it blasting loud but did not expect you can hear from where they are in that clip

On 11/24/2023 at 4:20 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

No, that sounds like it was recorded from Fishlips or Rusty's or some other restaurant along the channel there in Port Canaveral - you can hear the wind crackling in the mic.  And yeah, you can definitely hear the Lido announcements as the ship goes by.

On 11/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, stobe1 said:

🤷

Maybe except Mardi Gras uses the new pier and doesn't sail past Fishlips or those restaurants in that area. The turning basin she uses is before those areas if I recall correctly

I recognize those rocks. That video was recorded either by the boat ramps near T3 where Mardi Gras docks or just past there in Jetty Park. The Mardi Gras goes by that whole area on the way out of the port. And yes, you can often hear the announcements, music, etc. on land there. In fact, we live on the beach just about a mile south of the mouth of the port and if the wind is blowing the right way, we can hear it from our balcony.

12 hours ago, canes20 said:

giphy.gif

Gotta say what ya gotta say if there were any benefits that he got to keep.

Carnival said "you can resign and keep your accrued benefits" or "you can just jump of the back of the ship!" 

• Haha 3

On 11/25/2023 at 8:36 PM, rizkeeper said:

I was on the cruise, not sure if anyone mentioned what the joke was, but I was on the lido and recall him saying something like, ‘we are going to have fun, you’ve been waiting many months for the cruise and if you are not ready to have fun you can dive off the back and swim home’…it got a good laugh, if that offended anyone, well, they are miserable people.  

As far as his persona the 5 days he was onboard, it was nothing special, the same overplayed persona and jokes/references that have been made a million times the last 10-15 years. He did have good energy and was way more present around the ship than any other CD we’ve had other than Kendall Fire (the best!!)

If that joke was the reason he separated, I’d have to say there were many other things that have been addressed, however why would carnival place a questionable CD on their flagship? Who knows?!?

Cookie made a joke similar to this in October of 2022. He also made another joke that he was not gay but his boyfriend was. These jokes were all made in public settings. He may have finally pushed the envelope to far.

On 11/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, stobe1 said:

🤷

Maybe except Mardi Gras uses the new pier and doesn't sail past Fishlips or those restaurants in that area. The turning basin she uses is before those areas if I recall correctly

That's true, but the video shows the Mardi Gras, and it is sailing eastward with sun shining from the WSW or so.  I now see that it wasn't a restaurant, it was just the ground level along Jetty Park - you can see the big "riprap" shoreline.  So I still think the video is legit.

11 hours ago, Knights on the Beach said:

I recognize those rocks. That video was recorded either by the boat ramps near T3 where Mardi Gras docks or just past there in Jetty Park. The Mardi Gras goes by that whole area on the way out of the port. And yes, you can often hear the announcements, music, etc. on land there. In fact, we live on the beach just about a mile south of the mouth of the port and if the wind is blowing the right way, we can hear it from our balcony.

Ah, I just saw this reply.  OK, sounds like we are in agreement with the evidence presented, lol.

On 11/25/2023 at 9:36 PM, rizkeeper said:

It doesn't matter who onboard was offended, if anyone, what matters is the beards saw/heard the video, and not too long ago someone jumped from a Carnival ship and presumably drowned.  There are just certain jokes that are a no-go.

The last thing Carnival needs is word getting out that their CDs joke about jumping off the ship and then someone actually jumping shortly thereafter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That's true, but the video shows the Mardi Gras, and it is sailing eastward with sun shining from the WSW or so.  I now see that it wasn't a restaurant, it was just the ground level along Jetty Park - you can see the big "riprap" shoreline.  So I still think the video is legit.

Another poster said they were on the ship when it happened and that it was at sea on day 2.

We were on this sailing and as another member stated, all his jokes were about race or sexuality, the entire male fun squad were like go go dancers at the birdcage. He has tons of energy, but almost seemed like he had this planned and did not care what he said. At a late night liars club show another crew member stated they were 1/8th black and he said he could put another 1/8th in to them. He gave a 15 minute speech at the end of the 80's party about love and acceptance for all then quit the next day. Everyone in my group agreed he pushed the boundaries too far but did not seem to care. Yes he said that at sail away, I have it on my phone as well. Everything was all about him not the guests.

I am sure he is a great guy and wish him the best, Carnival knows they can replace him in a minute and must have felt that way to have him step down in the middle of a holiday sold out cruise on one of their main ships. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 6:55 AM, nycruise1 said:

I have never sailed with him, but if this truly is the sole cause of his dismissal, I feel it is an overreaction.  He could have been asked to issue a public apology, something to the effect that it was a poor choice of words and he got caught up in the moment.  Had he made a racist or sexist or homophobic comment, I would have seen that differently.

Having worked in HR, this can come back on Carnival.  Heaven forbid there is someone on that ship and is currently on the edge, having personal issues, and not having fun.  A comment like that, joke or not, can be the last straw for someone.  As the CD he and all the crew are the face of Carnival on the ship and that can put Carnival or any company in a bad spot if someone jumps. My last cruise the CD made the comment that people need to beat their kids more. It was made in jest about the crazy kids running around the pool deck while he was trying to host a deck event, but there were a few people that didn't find it funny.  Just my thoughts.  

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

If he did indeed make that joke, then yes, termination is warranted.

Give me a break. Anyone who calls for this kind of nonsense would be singing the other tune if every comment they made during their career was judged. That's not a world you really want where one innocent slip up ends your established career. This comment wasn't meant to be offensive or even be serious. 

Now, a more acceptable outcome is a repeated, documented, pattern of making similar, inappropriate, or other against policy comments, and him continuing to disobey the coaching. My guess is this is more of what happened. 

51 minutes ago, Sarcastic Mama said:

Having worked in HR, this can come back on Carnival.  Heaven forbid there is someone on that ship and is currently on the edge, having personal issues, and not having fun.  A comment like that, joke or not, can be the last straw for someone.  As the CD he and all the crew are the face of Carnival on the ship and that can put Carnival or any company in a bad spot if someone jumps. My last cruise the CD made the comment that people need to beat their kids more. It was made in jest about the crazy kids running around the pool deck while he was trying to host a deck event, but there were a few people that didn't find it funny.  Just my thoughts.  

giphy.gif

We've come a long way from Carnival's guaranteed good time where they would fly you home at first port stop at their cost to now having to jump off and swim back 🤣. I imagine the corporate lawyers gave birth to a cow when they heard about this! 

Edited by n6uqqq

We sailed with him a few months ago; where we attended the Q&A for a bit because it was held prior to the Jackpot Bingo.  I thought that he was a great cruise director, although that's been an increasingly low bar to exceed, imo.  He was very upfront about his aspirations for the future (which was not to be a CD), and he also was the only the CD that ever addressed a question regarding the CD compensation, which has typically been a topic they've been instructed to avoid.  I do think that something happened to cause the dismissal/resignation, but the details will likely never be publicized, nor should they be.

His postings on Facebook and Instagram have been a bit passive aggressive, so I'm inclined to think that he was confronted by management for something, and had a gut reaction, but as I said, we'll never know unless someone talks out of school.

16 hours ago, ryanpatricksmom said:

His postings on Facebook and Instagram have been a bit passive aggressive, so I'm inclined to think that he was confronted by management for something, and had a gut reaction, but as I said, we'll never know unless someone talks out of school.

I think the Facebook posts have been passive aggressive too.  Here's a hot take:  He wanted the Cruise Fleet Director position, but was passed for Chris Williams.  Probably had a bad day or something rubbed the wrong way and he said Peace Out, Bees.  

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 10:57 AM, StephPS79 said:

I think the Facebook posts have been passive aggressive too.  Here's a hot take:  He wanted the Cruise Fleet Director position, but was passed for Chris Williams.  Probably had a bad day or something rubbed the wrong way and he said Peace Out, Bees.  

It's funny because I had that exact same thought.  

I came across this because I wanted to be sure this guy wasn’t the CD on an upcoming cruise. He is a terrible human being. He drank a ridiculous amount during a show and was yelling in the back. When my elderly mother confronted him and asked him to be quiet and respect the performers, he threatened her! An old woman!!!! I’m sure he was fired because bad behavior is his MO. He also called a child a liar during another show among other awful comments and his announcements were terrible.  I hope he gets every lousy thing he deserves.