How to escalate an issue onboard?

Underwatr

Onboard QM2 now. Aircon only blows full heat or off. I can't sleep when the room is 78 degrees F. I like to be cool to sleep.

I've reported to the stewardess & to the Purser (several hours apart yesterday) and they made their reports on it but as we go further south I'm afraid it'll only get worse. With the balcony door closed it got up to 82 in the room last night.

It's like a pebble in my shoe - minor issue on the surface but over time it adds up (and I've been awake since 3 am from it).

How should I proceed? Who do I ask to speak to or to contact me? What would you do?

Signed - Sleepless & Sweaty

• Like 1

It's certainly not a minor issue. We are air-con fiends and someone would be feeling my wrath if nothing was done about hot air.

I'd ask [demand] to be moved to another cabin if engineers can't fix it/are too busy/ insert any old excuse here.

Then when 'the ship is full' reply comes back, demand to speak to Hotel Manager and if that doesn't work, aim higher.

Quote health fears, quote safety, quote anything but it is your given right to have air-con

• Like 3

You are completely wasting your time speaking to you cabin steward or the Purser desk.

You ask to speak with the 'Customer Service manager' and ask him/her to raise a maintenance issue immediately.  re a Cabin Change , Customer service manager is the only person who has the authority to move guests to another cabin ( Cabin changes go through him/her) 

Good Luck - let us know how it was resolved. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Onboard QM2 now. Aircon only blows full heat or off. I can't sleep when the room is 78 degrees F. I like to be cool to sleep.

I've reported to the stewardess & to the Purser (several hours apart yesterday) and they made their reports on it but as we go further south I'm afraid it'll only get worse. With the balcony door closed it got up to 82 in the room last night.

It's like a pebble in my shoe - minor issue on the surface but over time it adds up (and I've been awake since 3 am from it).

How should I proceed? Who do I ask to speak to or to contact me? What would you do?

Signed - Sleepless & Sweaty

In addition to these useful suggestions, send an email to one’s TA to immediately register a formal complaint with Cunard In Southampton.

Also involve one’s MD in the restaurant, saying out of desperation not knowing where else to go for help, MD’s  are “Senior Officer”.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that

my parents had the reverse in august on QV - they said it was too cold.

They logged it with the pursers desk and within an hour a maintenance arrived 

he told them the thermostat control is delicate and guests inadvertently break them by being heavy handed.
He replaced it and it then worked perfectly.

i would suggest maybe your request has gotten lost in the system based on my parents experience.

I’d go back to the pursers desk and ask to speak to someone more senior 

• Like 6

Definitely don’’t leave your balcony door open as it ruins air conditioning for adjoining cabins plus extreme noise in the passageways.    On newer ships the heat/air conditioning turns off when you open the balcony door to save energy.   Of course it will go back on when you close the door.

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Definitely don’’t leave your balcony door open as it ruins air conditioning for adjoining cabins plus extreme noise in the passageways.    On newer ships the heat/air conditioning turns off when you open the balcony door to save energy.   Of course it will go back on when you close the door.

Not an issue for me as we've turned off the AC rather than blow hot air.

I'd love to have someone tell me how I'm messing up others' comfort by using any means at my disposal to cool the room off.

I've checked and no passageway noise.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 2

We had the issue a few nights ago.  I have to have AC at night to be cooler and it had stopped working.  Our room steward was there and we told him and he could tell by my explanation that it needed to be fixed now, so used our telephone and called an engineer directly.  Within 10 minutes, the engineer arrived and looked at it, then removed two screws, open the "flaps", replaced the screws and said to give it 20 minutes.  I said Ok, and started monitoring my time.  By 20 minutes, we started to feel cooler air. That is our experience.  I hope you get yours fixed asap because that is definitely a problem.

• Like 2

In the afternoon after my first post I busted the Purser"s desk again and requested a manager, reiterated my issue and said we would not spend another night in an 80+ degree stateroom. Within 20 minutes a technician arrived at the stateroom and adjusted a chilled water valve from the access panel in the corridor. He advised me to wait about 20 minutes and it should improve, which it dud.

The room gets down to 72 degrees at the lowest setting which is a little warmer than ideal but I'm not having any trouble sleeping now.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

In the afternoon after my first post I busted the Purser"s desk again and requested a manager, reiterated my issue and said we would not spend another night in an 80+ degree stateroom. Within 20 minutes a technician arrived at the stateroom and adjusted a chilled water valve from the access panel in the corridor. He advised me to wait about 20 minutes and it should improve, which it dud.

The room gets down to 72 degrees at the lowest setting which is a little warmer than ideal but I'm not having any trouble sleeping now.

Yes, I too would find that too hot, but glad you got action.

• Like 2