Rudi’s is going away

kirkc

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Have you seen the menua few posts back? It was definitely Asian

Yes, when I saw the menu I walked the talk back. I much prefer the Tamarind menu. There are honestly only one appetizer and one entree (plus the vegetarian of both) that my husband and I would even eat. At least in Tamarind there is lamb!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

I was on Rotterdam and had this but it looked nothing like yours. There were four lobster tails, a small carrot, a piece of asparagus and I received a large bowl of plain rice along side of it. It was good but I would not order it again for twenty five dollars. Wonder why it was so different.

I tried it tonight on the Volendam. Suffice to say I asked to see the F&B Manager through the “Let Us Know” feature in the Navigator app. IMG_2403.thumb.jpeg.2ce2d503023532c7d8086fb8bea67a8b.jpeg

• Like 1

@Nickelpenny Are those actually two split tails (4 pieces) with the carrot and piece of asparagus like @Niagarawine described?  Was there any seasoning or sauce of note?  It looks better to me due to less spice mix than previous posters have shown in post #48. 

Thanks,

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

4 minutes ago, oakridger said:

@Nickelpenny Are those actually two split tails (4 pieces) with the carrot and piece of asparagus like @Niagarawine described?  Was there any seasoning or sauce of note?  It looks better to me due to less spice mix than previous posters have shown in post #48. 

Thanks,

~Nancy

Yes 2 split tails, no seasoning, sparse veggies underneath, no rice, “poop veins” still in at least 2 of them and not separated out of the shell so they were difficult to get them out.  The lemon “foam” was not foam - more like a lemon mayo. Melted butter came about 10 minutes after the lobster. Not impressed but “I did it for research purposes “. LOL!!!😂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I noticed the "veins" too but didn't want to mention it in case my eyes were deceiving me! It seems like Chef Morimoto needs to do a little more work on his recipe. 

Thanks for doing the grueling research on this issue!!  😉

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I noticed the "veins" too but didn't want to mention it in case my eyes were deceiving me! It seems like Chef Morimoto needs to do a little more work on his recipe. 

Thanks for doing the grueling research on this issue!!  😉

~Nancy

The F&B Manager was near where I was sitting after dinner and I spoke with him about the issues. ( I was egged on by a fellow passenger as I normally don’t bother the exec staff when they are on a break). He took a pic of my picture, apologized, asked for my cabin number and said he would fix it. I apologized for bothering him. He said no no we need to fix things. I was impressed with him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@Haljo1935  I tried it incognito in Safari and Firefox with no problem. Is anyone else having an issue opening the above link?

Holland America Line to Open Stand-Alone Restaurant by World-Renowned Chef Masaharu Morimoto Aboard Nieuw Amsterdam.pdf 596.78 kB · 1 download

I was able to open it from your attachment.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Hi I miss talking to you too, yeah is weird that they just put plain rice with it. Kids looked like the vegetables on the entrees in main dining. I really liked the mount of lobster I was given. Got to say Canaletto was my favourite. I am unable to fit into my jeans now.

That's why I pack 6's and 8's, just in case!

6 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Yes 2 split tails, no seasoning, sparse veggies underneath, no rice, “poop veins” still in at least 2 of them and not separated out of the shell so they were difficult to get them out.  The lemon “foam” was not foam - more like a lemon mayo. Melted butter came about 10 minutes after the lobster. Not impressed but “I did it for research purposes “. LOL!!!😂 

Now that is interesting.  I had it on the Rotterdam for “research purposes” too 😉

Huge difference in that mine was spiced.  I didn’t see any lemon foam on mine and the lobster seemed to have some type of crust with the seasoning which made it way too rich.  No butter and no rice with mine.  

I would have thought the ships have the same recipe to follow?  

• Like 3

Just catching up on this thread.  Had wondered about competition between Rudi's and Morimoto.  I guess this answers the question.  We really loved Rudy's and ate there every opportunity.  Hoping Morimoto will not disappoint.  Biggest disappointment so far is we are booked on the Eurodam in January and Tamarind is blocked one night, assuming for Morimoto pop-up.  I called to schedule and was told there is "no availability in Tamarind" on that night - even when I asked specifically about Morimoto.  Hoping we are just a bit early.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Qi had four that were slit, no lemon foam,no melted butter 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Now that is interesting.  I had it on the Rotterdam for “research purposes” too 😉

Huge difference in that mine was spiced.  I didn’t see any lemon foam on mine and the lobster seemed to have some type of crust with the seasoning which made it way too rich.  No butter and no rice with mine.  

I would have thought the ships have the same recipe to follow?  

Yes I would think so too, had to wait quite a while for my dish , whole table was waiting ,I didn’t have the same presentation as seasick sailor and we were on the same sailing ,weird

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

@Haljo1935  I tried it incognito in Safari and Firefox with no problem. Is anyone else having an issue opening the above link?

Holland America Line to Open Stand-Alone Restaurant by World-Renowned Chef Masaharu Morimoto Aboard Nieuw Amsterdam.pdf 596.78 kB · 7 downloads

I had no trouble opening it.

Jim

• Thanks 1

Pinnacle remains our first choice after looking over the Morimoto menu.  Agree with there posters that perhaps an Indian restaraunt would have been a better choice, or even....I'll say it - an Irish (or British) Pub?  Why not?

Tamarind is very good, and Canaletto is nice as well.  Rudi's did not appeal to us and neither does teh Morimoto menu.  

• Like 3

Just now, CNSJ said:

Pinnacle remains our first choice after looking over the Morimoto menu.  Agree with there posters that perhaps an Indian restaraunt would have been a better choice, or even....I'll say it - an Irish (or British) Pub?  Why not?

Tamarind is very good, and Canaletto is nice as well.  Rudi's did not appeal to us and neither does teh Morimoto menu.  

Food is so subjective.  Rudi’s was the best specialty experience (especially the pop ups believe it or not) for me.  Pinnacle Grill has become inconsistent & unreliable on ships, sadly.

Canaletto has improved dramatically until they took a couple of my favourites off the new menu 😂 😉 

• Like 2

The whole cruise is subjective..... I read two reviews of the same ship on the same days and find totally different levels of satisfaction.  Happy to say that the Dive In Burger has been consistently good.  Sometimes a beer and a burger is all I need.

Speaking of beer, HAL needs to offer more beer selections at most bars, exception is the fine selection Grand Dutch Cafe.....beer drinker heaven.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The best specialty experience was the Le Cirque pop up in the Pinnacle Grill in our opinion. Luckily for us, it is in the past and no one can mess with it now. 😋

I have to second that, we had done Le Cirque 3 times and enjoyed each one of them. The best was on Westerdam to Alaska several years ago.

• Like 1

I'll be sad if Rudi's is going away. We have our first HAL cruise booked on Koningsdam in June so it's not like I know what I (might) be missing, but we have a specialty dining credit via HIA and were definitely planning on Rudi's. We always seem to like the French-ish places (loved Le Bistro on NCL) so it was the obvious choice.

FWIW, the Navigator app currently shows me both Rudi's and the new restaurant as potential options. I can't book anything yet (too early, I assume) so there's time for things to change, but if they really know Rudi's is going away, it does seem odd to add the new place without taking Rudi's away. We'd probably be happy with Tamarind if it comes to it, but the new place doesn't look that interesting so here's hoping this is a good sign.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bundtkate said:

but we have a specialty dining credit via HIA and were definitely planning on Rudi's.

Unfortunately, the HIA restaurant credits can't be used for Rudi's.  It will state on your booking confirmation invoice which restaurants you can choose from. (Depends on your ship)

image.png.af97b857603d11dbc02e40630eeba692.png

~Nancy

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, POA1 said:

The best specialty experience was the Le Cirque pop up in the Pinnacle Grill in our opinion. Luckily for us, it is in the past and no one can mess with it now. 😋

Le Cirque was nice but more of a very traditional fine dining experience.  We found De Librije to be a much more innovative, modern and interesting evening in terms of food preparation, presentation and wine pairings.  To each his own ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bundtkate said:

Ours actually shows no such limitations. We did book pretty early (hence the elite beverage package which was an early booking bonus) so maybe that gives you more options with the HIA dining too?

Odd that your list is unspecified, but Rudi's is never complimentary. And now may not even be on the ship! 

• Like 1