Rudi’s is going away

kirkc

The rumor has been going around on this Rotterdam sailing and I confirmed it last night…Rudi’s will be leaving all the ship at year end to be replaced my a restaurant themed to Chef Morimoto. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

It looks like they are shifting Rudi over to Princess which may be a good thing. Maybe there will be something new and exciting (one can live in hope?). There are a lot of HAL regulars who seem to be getting bored with the current state of the food service on HAL. We have only been on HAL once and the food was good but certainly not outstanding. Perhaps a new vision will bring something new for the regulars and something memorable for people new to HAL who may become regulars if HAL can re-establish the thing that made all the others regulars.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kirkc said:

The rumor has been going around on this Rotterdam sailing and I confirmed it last night…Rudi’s will be leaving all the ship at year end to be replaced my a restaurant themed to Chef Morimoto. 

I understand Amsterdam is taking the trial period mid December with a $55 pp cover charge. But you heard all ships are going away year end with Rudi's? We are on board Rotterdam til Jan 14th so would love to try the new venue!

• Thanks 2

That is a very appetizing presentation (hold the cilantro for me). This is the type of presentation we should expect in what is supposed to be a "fine dining" restaurant. People shouldn't have to pay extra for a specialty restaurant to get memorable food. Of course if they raise the bar in the MDR then they will have to up the game in the specialty restaurants. Dare we hope that HAL is listening and starting to realize that if they don't up their game people will shift to a different line with a better product.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Wouldn't a Chef Morimoto restaurant compete with the Tamarind? Considering that a cruise is an adventure in seafaring, wouldn't a seafood restaurant be a more fitting replacement for Rudi's?

I have been saying this for a couple of weeks, to me it makes no sense having 2 Asian Themed venues each having seafood. HAL would be better putting in a French or Mediterranean Themed Restaurant. Just my personal opinion Pinnacle is definitely not what it use to be either and also needs some revamping.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We were just discussing with another couple who heard he's going to:

Princess Cruises Sets Sail for 2024 With Rudi Sodamin At Culinary Helm

Pretty sure Rudi started with HAL a long, long time ago.

You know those Culinary Council menus that have been around forever? Those are a Rudi thing. (We've got Culinary Council menus going back decades.)

• Like 3

I ate at Rudi's only once, but found the food fabulous, and the service out of this world. 

I couldn't be less interested in another Asian restaurant on the ships. Fortunately, I have always found Pinnacle to be excellent, so will continue to be happy there until I'm not. 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I ate at Rudi's only once, but found the food fabulous, and the service out of this world. 

I couldn't be less interested in another Asian restaurant on the ships. Fortunately, I have always found Pinnacle to be excellent, so will continue to be happy there until I'm not. 

Agree. I loved it.  Maybe if HAL put in a restaurant like NCL has, Le Bistro, French, they would have a winner.  We are frequent NCL cruisers, as well, and they do have a wide variety of offerings.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Pretty sure Rudi started with HAL a long, long time ago.

You know those Culinary Council menus that have been around forever? Those are a Rudi thing. (We've got Culinary Council menus going back decades.)

Hi, POA1,

On our 12/21 Rotterdam cruise, Rudi's was our second favorite restaurant barely missing out #1 (Tamarind). We also tried Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto's, which are also very good.   We are planning a 2025 cruise to Hawaii on Koningsdam. I hope that there not be two Asian cuisine specialty restaurants then.

Jim

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks, Mary229. To me, the menu is underwhelming. I agree with those who advocate a French or Mediterranean place.

Jim

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Agree, I had been seeing and hearing that Morimoto (and Morimoto upsells in MDR) were in the seafood realm and therefore more in competition with Sel de Mer -- now it makes sense.

Just because the chef has a Japanese name, doesn't mean the offerings will be Asian-Fusion like Tamarind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I think the term Asian food is too broad. I would prefer a true Chinese restaurant with Kung Pao Chicken, Peking Duck, mapu tofu, egg fried rice, etc. I like Chinese food. I like Thai food. I like Vietnamese food. However, for some reason, I dislike Asian fusion. A Chinese restaurant with a small $10 up charge would be packed each night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I’ve done Rudi’s (pop ups & regular) a number of times.  Other than Koningsdam, it has consistently been my favourite specialty dining.  Food has been good and the Fruits de Mer is to die for.  Cooked perfectly (and I’m a Maritimer).

I will miss that appetizer a lot.

I agree with others - I think this is a mistake to replace it with Morimoto.  The menu is not that appealing for me and not different enough from Tamarind.

Put in a nice French restaurant like Jacques on Oceania or some other equivalent.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2