Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

Any idea how they are handling people going up in status if they're on for the full cruise or a quarterly segment?  Since they normally have to wait until after the cruise is over to be credited, are they allowing people to bump up after a mini-segment?  If I turned Pinnacle during the first quarter, I'd definitely want the pin benefits for the other 3 quarters.

The World Cruise is awarding status on the day you turn the next level.  Nice they are doing that.  🙂 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BND said:

I would gladly make a big variety, but DH is pretty picky about food. I rarely use a recipe and when I do I make changes.  But, that said, most people on a cruise repeat items at home all the time.

Exactly.  And not a McDonalds or KFC in sight.  😄 

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, 00649 said:

We will be in B.A. in late January and this tour sounds interesting.Is it a ship tour or private. Any details would be much appreciated.

Through the ship, booked online with RCI in advance.  I never know what to expect.  Have had some good ones...and some not very good ones.  

Am actually sticking to RCI tours on this one from this point, though we usually do our own thing, as we did until we reached Brazil.  Kind of like knowing that we will be guaranteed to make it back to the ship...by one means or another.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Thanks, on longer Radiance Class Cruises I do usually experienced 1750-2050

I asked the concierge...we are approx. 1490 pax.   On this quarter anyway.  I believe numbers will go up as we go through the various legs/quarters.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Here's a take on the WC from the RC blog that basically says there is little difference in the UWC and a regular cruise and how some of these social media people have jumped on the bandwagon even though they aren't on the cruise or in some cases, have never cruised.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/12/30/9-month-world-cruise-drama?fbclid=IwAR0xVD1xBezqO9GK0hLltchy8nuKfqNYSRbi8wHiZwaErPhUn-M0xFgrK-k

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Your wife could be my best friend...we think alike. 😉 And I love to design various meals using leftovers...no waste. 

I never use a recipe...sometimes a good thing...sometimes not so good.   😄 

DW occasionally googles a recipe if she is making something we had on board that we were unfamiliar with (like the first time we tried Halwa), but by the time she’s done preparing it, she usually has made several tweaks to the recipe.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

When does the first leg end?

In Buenos Aires on the 5th.  Which is not what we booked of course, since we never booked the mini legs...we booked the quarter to end in LA.  Not sure what hoops we will be on...like a B2B2B now I guess. 

This cruise seems to be a project in process.  And not sure what the full cruisers will have to go through either....with going through all the processes of the 17 legs and how it will affect them as well.  

31 minutes ago, island lady said:

In Buenos Aires on the 5th.  Which is not what we booked of course, since we never booked the mini legs...we booked the quarter to end in LA.  Not sure what hoops we will be on...like a B2B2B now I guess. 

This cruise seems to be a project in process.  And not sure what the full cruisers will have to go through either....with going through all the processes of the 17 legs and how it will affect them as well.  

The logistics of debarking and then re embarking 1,500 passengers will make a really unique TAD😱😇

7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The logistics of debarking and then re embarking 1,500 passengers will make a really unique TAD😱😇

For the continuing passengers, get new seapass cards, ping off with the old, ping on with the new. No customs things like the US.

9 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

For the continuing passengers, get new seapass cards, ping off with the old, ping on with the new. No customs things like the US.

Interesting. Still moving 1,500 bodies through two pinch points even if they never get off of the ship😇

51 minutes ago, island lady said:

When we went from LA to Buenos Aires a few years ago we were booked for the whole itinerary. Didn't realize it was also sold as segments, but it never interfered with our plans or excursions. Guests on and off for their leg were hardly noticeable.

If you go to the "Post Office at the End of the World" in Ushuaia and want to mail post cards drop it off inside. We put ours in the mailbox outside the entrance door and are still waiting! Maybe they never checked the box lol. 

Also, Machu Picchu is an experience of a lifetime. If you're on the several day excursion the hotels where you stay and the restaurants serve coca tea at breakfast and coca candy, tea, energy bars are sold everywhere. Yes, coca as in cocaine but without the high. If you get altitude sickness (any many do) it resolves it very quickly. However, don't try to take it back on the ship or across the border because you'll be in arrested (they warn you). Not a good way to spend a vacation.

Can't wait to hear about your cooking class in Buenos Aires! We always heard about the beef in Argentina, and have to say it's the best we every had, Funny about the restaurants serving dinner so late. We stayed in Buenos Aires for 2 weeks when we disembarked there. First night asked the hotel concierge to book us at a restaurant for 7:30 pm. She laughed and told us no one eats dinner before 9pm and that was early. So we did as the locals do and it was great. Also, many different types of empanadas and all delicious! 

Patagonia is a beautiful and breathtaking part of the world. Enjoy every second of your trip and safe travels!

Lorraine

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Usually at about 2 weeks on a ship, I'm tired of breakfast and most lunches. 

At home, I rotate between 4 different types of dry cereal with milk and a slice of multigrain toast with a glass of orange juice.  Cruise breakfasts are like I died and went to heaven - smoked salmon, made to order omelettes, muesli, fresh fruit, waffles, hash browns.  I will be happy to trade in my breakfast rotation when I finally join for part of the world cruise.

• Like 6

On 12/7/2023 at 9:11 AM, island lady said:

Yes.  He is on the whole 274 nights, Laura is disembarking and flying back to Orlando with us in LA.  She is rejoining us in Copenhagen, we rejoin in Barcelona for 4th quarter. 

John has been uninvited to CC, sadly.  😞 

What??!!! John is awesome?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, island lady said:

We were just back from Viking eastern European river cruise for 3 weeks (Bucharest to Amsterdam) starting out on the Danube just above where it dumps into the Blacks Sea before we left for this cruise.  Though we didn't do the Suez...and I don't want to.  

I don’t blame you so it will be interesting what develops in spring time and I hope all will be fine

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Center Stage really isn't new. They just modified it to delete the dance cast. Replaced 6 or 8 of them with two ballroom dancers, added a 5th singer, and added strings to the orchestra.

Probably stole those two ballroom dancers from my favorite show...Invitation to Dance.🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I saw an article that there are a ton of young social media influencers on the world cruise.  Is this true?  Apologies if this has been discussed, but I didn’t read every post on this thread.

According to some comments I've seen, they are not aboard, but are picking up comments here and there, and posting them as their own, or even making things up, including some absurd "facts" that have no basis in reality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

According to some comments I've seen, they are not aboard, but are picking up comments here and there, and posting them as their own, or even making things up, including some absurd "facts" that have no basis in reality.

A couple of hours ago I posted a link to the RC blog that is about this on this thread and I'm STILL waiting for it to be approved. Where are the admins today?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I saw an article that there are a ton of young social media influencers on the world cruise.  Is this true?  Apologies if this has been discussed, but I didn’t read every post on this thread.

Not a ton. A few TikTokers (I don’t do Tik Tok), and I only see some of their stuff, if it pops up on YouTube and IG. There are several older folks vlogging, and I have been following them on YouTube. @Merion_Mom (Carol), had started a thread that those on the cruise could share their, vlogs, blogs, social media sites, so I subscribed to a few on YouTube. But most are easy to find there, by just doing a search on ultimate world cruise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crzndeb said:

Not a ton. A few TikTokers (I don’t do Tik Tok), and I only see some of their stuff, if it pops up on YouTube and IG. There are several older folks vlogging, and I have been following them on YouTube. @Merion_Mom (Carol), had started a thread that those on the cruise could share their, vlogs, blogs, social media sites, so I subscribed to a few on YouTube. But most are easy to find there, by just doing a search on ultimate world cruise.

So, are these TikTokers on the actual UWC or are they doing segments?

Forgive me as I haven't read most of this thread, but have their been special UWC only meetings onboard?

5 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

So, are these TikTokers on the actual UWC or are they doing segments?

Forgive me as I haven't read most of this thread, but have their been special UWC only meetings onboard?

The ones I’ve seen are on the full cruise.

Don’t know about meetings. 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1