Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

On Allure in the music hall one night we were listening to the high seas Orchestra.  It was wonderful but so loud.  I turned my decibel reader on in my phone and it was in the 80’s which is dangerous! We decided to leave.  I guess I need to get some of those loop ear plugs.

For example a 70 is Office Noise, 80 is like inside airplane or a Vacuum, 85 is City Noise from inside a car or a Noisy Restaurant, 90 is a Hair Dryer, 95 a Food Processor or Car horn. Though it's long term that causes damage, some are more sensitive to higher Sounds/Db's

Edited by ONECRUISER

27 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

For example a 70 is Office Noise, 80 is like inside airplane or a Vacuum, 85 is City Noise from inside a car or a Noisy Restaurant, 90 is a Hair Dryer, 95 a Food Processor or Car horn. Though it's long term that causes damage, some are more sensitive to higher Sounds/Db's

Long term is a relative term when being exposed to loud noise.  My wife has her watch set to notify her when noise levels are more than 90 dBA.  Ship venues would almost always set off the notification.  From the CDC:

image.thumb.png.576e92cfe492b0a693b2119acc941506.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, island lady said:

Passed the MSC cruise ship going back out.  Hmmm...wonder where the cocktail lounges are located on that ship?  😉  😁

20240104_035453.jpg

🤣🤣🤣  Laughed so hard, I could barely contain(er) myself.

12 hours ago, island lady said:

Was another Alpha Alpha Alpha call this morning again.  Deck 9 cabin this time.  Hope that person is OK as well.  

Hope they were OK.  There seems to be a lot more medical calls on cruises like these, where the average passenger age is higher.  I worked for Princess Cruises many years ago.  I remember we had 3 deaths on the ship on one single sailing transit of the Panama Canal (ships back then only held 2ooo passengers, so 3 deaths were a lot - especially since the ship morgue only had room for 2, and we were not allowed to "disembark" the bodies until they docked in the USA again.)

11 hours ago, island lady said:

20240104_051315.jpg

I see you captured a photo of the Uruguayan tender coming out to take passengers ashore.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Here's an interesting tidbit for anyone touring Montevideo, especially if you find yourself at Teatro El Tinglado.

The Latin trio currently on Liberty - previously on Enchantment - are from Montevideo. The keyboard player has performed in that theater, and it is a spectacular-looking place, like something out of an old movie. If you see a poster for "Maldito", he is on that poster.

AKA Teatro Solis, which appears to be on the city highlights maps.

On 1/3/2024 at 2:01 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Was on a PreCV 12n Repo, we had 6 go ashore for Medical during Cruise not counting Family Members. Happens, been on Dozens Cruises where we Helo'd passengers off, speed up or turn around with Sick passengers. Longer the Cruise more likely happen and not to mention Family Emergencies. 

We were leaving Bermuda on a cruise and had to turn around twice to drop off ill passengers.

17 hours ago, mborth said:

It's so great to see such enthusiasm for Royal's World Cruise! I'm an editor with Cruise Critic and am currently working on an article that covers what it's really like onboard this world cruise. I'd love to interview anyone onboard (including you, @island lady)! Please reach out to me directly if you're on this sailing and are interested in sharing your experience with us. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you! 

No problem.  Would be happy to help.  🙂 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, doghog said:

My mother turned 98 in December. She lives by herself in her own home and still is sharp as a tack and very active. She keeps setting the bar higher for me each year. 

Uh...huh.  Now I know where you get your charm!  🤗

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Royal really needs to turn down the volume.  I have severe to profound deafness in both ears, and the music is often too loud with my hearing aids turned OFF.  😲

Yeah, it's been getting louder all the time.  Not sure why.  Bucky takes his hearing aids out and it's still too loud indeed.  Me...will be using my ear plugs from now on with the concert type shows.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

🤣🤣🤣  Laughed so hard, I could barely contain(er) myself.

Hope they were OK.  There seems to be a lot more medical calls on cruises like these, where the average passenger age is higher.  I worked for Princess Cruises many years ago.  I remember we had 3 deaths on the ship on one single sailing transit of the Panama Canal (ships back then only held 2ooo passengers, so 3 deaths were a lot - especially since the ship morgue only had room for 2, and we were not allowed to "disembark" the bodies until they docked in the USA again.)

I see you captured a photo of the Uruguayan tender coming out to take passengers ashore.

LOL...too funny!  Thanks!  😉 

Unfortunately yet another ambulance on the pier again when we docked here in Buenos Aires.  😞 

Posted (edited)

Great tour yesterday.  A bit long in the seat of the little van, but interesting tour of the city of Montevideo.  Very happy to see a healthy city here in Uruguay versus what we experienced in Brazil.  

We were lucky to have a tour that was a total of 9 pax (including us).   Simple, clean and newer little 15 pax touring van.  Really nice guide.  

Some beautiful parks and statues.  The one building was built/designed by a man that used to live in Dubai.  Ummm...yeah, I can see that.  😉 

Found an interesting fellow photographer really into his work as well.  😄 

20240104_075427.jpg

20240104_082412.jpg

20240104_093335.jpg

20240104_082505.jpg

20240104_075544.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 12
  • Haha 8

The second part of the tour was a visit to a large winery about 35 miles away from the city.  The WC pax were there in their 4 big bus tour finishing up when we got there.  

I am sure they had fun, and had a great show going on, but made me very happy to have the little private wine tasting lunch and tour of the winery later with just the nine of us.  🙂 

One crew member from the shops sat next to me.  She was totally adorable and interesting to talk to.  The lunch was a carnivore's dream come true with nice wines to pair with. 😄   And found a lively "bartender" in the cellar.  

20240104_112340.jpg

20240104_114642.jpg

20240104_114721.jpg

20240104_130552.jpg

• Like 23

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

The lunch was a carnivore's dream come true with nice wines to pair with.

Several years ago on the Amazing Race there was a challenge there or in BA where they had to eat 4 lbs of various meats (no wine pairing) - looked just like that - most contestants (led by Boston Rob) passed it and took the time penalty. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, island lady said:

Great tour yesterday.  A bit long in the seat of the little van, but interesting tour of the city of Montevideo.  Very happy to see a healthy city here in Uruguay versus what we experienced in Brazil.  

We were lucky to have a tour that was a total of 9 pax (including us).   Simple, clean and newer little 15 pax touring van.  Really nice guide.  

Some beautiful parks and statues.  The one building was built/designed by a man that used to live in Dubai.  Ummm...yeah, I can see that.  😉 

Found an interesting fellow photographer really into his work as well.  😄 

20240104_075427.jpg

20240104_082412.jpg

20240104_093335.jpg

20240104_082505.jpg

20240104_075544.jpg

I have seen this paparazzi guy before - beware!!!!! He's always shadowing someone and sometimes he pops up behind a bar drinking wine............just sayin'

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Several years ago on the Amazing Race there was a challenge there or in BA where they had to eat 4 lbs of various meats (no wine pairing) - looked just like that - most contestants (led by Boston Rob) passed it and took the time penalty. 

These are definitely red meat eaters down here in South America. 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruise wizard said:

I have seen this paparazzi guy before - beware!!!!! He's always shadowing someone and sometimes he pops up behind a bar drinking wine............just sayin'

Yeah, indeed he is one scary dude.  Always taunting you that he will be watching you from down on the beach under your condo as well.  😄 😄 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mborth said:

It's so great to see such enthusiasm for Royal's World Cruise! I'm an editor with Cruise Critic and am currently working on an article that covers what it's really like onboard this world cruise. I'd love to interview anyone onboard (including you, @island lady)! Please reach out to me directly if you're on this sailing and are interested in sharing your experience with us. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you! 

Surprised, as you are an editor, that you would not seek full world cruisers for your article.  I hope that you can interview folks who are actually onboard, and not some of the bloggers who have not set foot on the ship.   Some of what I read (from those NOT on board) is hilarious. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

These are definitely red meat eaters down here in South America. 😉 

When I first glanced at plate of meat (5am, before coffee), I thought that was each individual’s plate. I thought, WTH. Who could eat all that? LOL Then I saw each individual’s plate.

• Haha 1

Internet cut me off (being a "sort of" TAD) today.  Right at 9:30 (7:30 am EST).  One of the inconveniences of that day, but usually I enjoy those days anyway, especially not having to change cabins.  😉 

Then later at 10:15....ship system shut down right as I stepped up to the podium in the Safari lounge on deck six doing our Consecutive cruisers "ding out...ding in" procedure.  Took 10 minutes to reboot, and then back up again.  So we are "officially" back on the ship.  😉 

Standing with Ellen just outside Chops after breakfast, we watched the hundreds of full WC pax file by to load the buses for their tour of Iquazu Falls.  She told me the tour actually gets back at 7 pm..today!  Wow, long day!  First shuttle to terminal, then bus ride, then flight, then another bus ride...see the falls, repeat the process on the way back.  Yikes!  Now I see why friends booked separate tours to do an overnight there.  We did not opt to go, but instead have that interesting cooking class to attend tonight at a restaurant somewhere in town.  Should be fun!  

Our view of the freight yard...again...but nice skyline beyond here at Buenos Aires Argentina.  

20240105_041747.jpg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

When I first glanced at plate of meat (5am, before coffee), I thought that was each individual’s plate. I thought, WTH. Who could eat all that? LOL Then I saw each individual’s plate.

That is still a whole lot of meat for just 9 people.  😮   

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:58 AM, island lady said:

Today was sushi making class, of which we have done many on various ships.  Some were not so great (Harmony was the worst) and some were really good.  This one was a good one.

I was thinking they would be very similar. What made them better/worse? Just the chef/host or was it what you were making? We're doing this on Oasis in March, hope it's a good one!

• Like 1

Vicariously enjoying the trip from home. 

I have seen several of the TikTok posts on my phone. It is amazing that someone who has never been on a cruise ship (or out of their home) is supposedly on a world cruise. They are putting out so much disinformation it is very sad that their articles are what potential cruisers see about the trip.

Edited by temple1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, HxFx said:

I was thinking they would be very similar. What made them better/worse? Just the chef/host or was it what you were making? We're doing this on Oasis in March, hope it's a good one!

On Harmony, they had us sharing rolling mats.  There was not near enough prep ingredients to go around, we kept asking for water...which they never brought.  The sushi chef was really not into it at all, and they did not give out the certificates (which we did not need, but some others wanted them).  

This one was great, with great attention and detail from the crew members.  A real joy.  🙂 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1