Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines to combine.

klfrodo

This thread will be moved soon from Princess forum but do find this both interesting and sad. And I haven’t see one airline merger stopped by the feds regardless what the antitrust issues are.

I will miss Hawaiian Airlines when Alaska takes it over😤

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

This thread will be moved soon from Princess forum but do find this both interesting and sad. And I haven’t see one airline merger stopped by the feds regardless what the antitrust issues are.

I will miss Hawaiian Airlines when Alaska takes it over😤

Based on emails I received from HA & AK both brands will continue…

• Preserving the Hawaiian Airlines brand: The beloved Hawaiian Airlines brand will remain, reflected on airplanes, at airports and elsewhere. It will exist alongside the Alaska Airlines brand, supported by a single operating platform and industry-leading loyalty program.

https://localcareglobalreach.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Alaska-Airlines-and-Hawaiian-Airlines-to-Combine.pdf

• Like 2

HA took over Aloha Airlines which was my fav...I get a perverse pleasure in them getting bought by Alaska...lol.  

However, don't get me wrong, I found HA to be a fine airline. I like to travel with Alaska (though not as much as I used to...) so it's kind of a win-win...

Will my post be the last on this doomed thread??

1 minute ago, dlh015 said:

HA took over Aloha Airlines which was my fav...I get a perverse pleasure in them getting bought by Alaska...lol.  

However, don't get me wrong, I found HA to be a fine airline. I like to travel with Alaska (though not as much as I used to...) so it's kind of a win-win...

Nope because I don't see the feds allowing this.  Alaska barely manages its own business.  They can't go all 48 Contiguous states and manage this.  

9 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Yea, I remember AS saying that when they took over VX.

Didn’t take AS very long to totally wipe out the VX brand into history.

Just saying

Hopefully not with HA which we enjoy flying several times per year between the Mainland & Maui. Unlike VX the HA brand has been around since 1929 so hopefully AS will keep the HA brand. 🤞

Just now, Astro Flyer said:

Hopefully not with HA which we enjoy flying several times per year between the Mainland & Maui. Unlike VX the HA brand has been around since 1929 so hopefully AS will keep the HA brand. 🤞

Well I do too but, I’m just going by recent history.

We love HA and actually flying them in a couple weeks to Maui (always fly them to the islands). Just feels like I’m loosing the airline we enjoy so much.

• Like 1

Alaska has been fighting for marketshare from Seattle to Hawaii for a very long time.  At times discounting flights to 99.00 one way.  Most recently to 149 each way.   This would give them a monopoly from the west coast.  
Whether they would keep the HA product is laughable.  Did they keep the Virgin product?  
This is what the Feds will look at when deciding whether to let this sale go or not.

2 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Well I do too but, I’m just going by recent history.

We love HA and actually flying them in a couple weeks to Maui (always fly them to the islands). Just feels like I’m loosing the airline we enjoy so much.

Months ago we booked an AS n/s LAX/OGG/LAX using their miles in the spring but noticed on their app flights were changed & to call them. Before calling checked flight options…only ones were via SEA and only 1 n/s from LAX to HNL which was not an option to get to OGG. I have not received an email informing me about the change…bad customer service. I’ve booked a backup on HA using their miles & will wait awhile to see if AS contacts me or they will restore their LAX/OGG n/s flights.

If this is what will become of their service hopefully acquiring HA fails.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Alaska has been fighting for marketshare from Seattle to Hawaii for a very long time.  At times discounting flights to 99.00 one way.  Most recently to 149 each way.   This would give them a monopoly from the west coast.  
Whether they would keep the HA product is laughable.  Did they keep the Virgin product?  
This is what the Feds will look at when deciding whether to let this sale go or not.

Southwest will still be their competition from west coast so not a monopoly (as well as all the other majors).

Honestly, I don’t remember one airline merger the Feds didn’t allow to happen (and there has been so many).

5 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Southwest will still be their competition from west coast so not a monopoly (as well as all the other majors).

Honestly, I don’t remember one airline merger the Feds didn’t allow to happen (and there has been so many).

People valued HA because of the direct flights offered.  Southwest cannot offer direct flights from Seattle.

Just now, iamaqt2 said:

People valued HA because of the direct flights offered.  Southwest cannot offer direct flights from Seattle.

Dint know that, just kind of assumes WN had their foot in every airport.

Does Delta fly NS to the islands from Seattle?

10 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Dint know that, just kind of assumes WN had their foot in every airport.

Does Delta fly NS to the islands from Seattle?

No.  The only NS Flights from SEA were AS and HA.  And they've been competing for marketshare for years.

• Like 1

Although the pandemic hurt all the airlines HA has been in trouble once Mark Dunkerly was removed around 2017 or so. It’s been poorly run since. New management not familiar with “local culture” and over expansion has led to the situation they are in. I hope this doesn’t get approved.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

No.  The only NS Flights from SEA were AS and HA.  And they've been competing for marketshare for years.

I just checked Google flights and DL does have NS to both HNL and OGG??

56 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Hawaiian Didn't take over Aloha, Aloha failed in 2nd bankruptcy mostly due to Mesa Air. Read the history

40 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Same song, different story.Monopoly from the West Coast? How do you figure that? No one except Alaska and HAL fly from the West Coast to Hawaii? Alaska said they'd keep the Virgin brand through the transition. See anything left of the Virgin brand?

27 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Again, how do you figure this? SWA enters markets where it can get market share. They have the capability of planes and gate space to do this. Nothing to stop them

Just might have some insight as I was a pilot for HAL for and my wife's father was a VP. Hopefully the Hawaiian brand continues, but a business is a business. Dollars don't care! Southwest has thrown a big wrench into the Inter-island market and this take over doesn't have very much for the DOT to contest. Very few overlapping markets and a good overall market merger. Glad I'm retired.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, highloyo said:

Although the pandemic hurt all the airlines HA has been in trouble once Mark Dunkerly was removed around 2017 or so. It’s been poorly run since. New management not familiar with “local culture” and over expansion has led to the situation they are in. I hope this doesn’t get approved.

Aloha. Totally agree. Dunkerly created a family (‘Ohana) atmosphere which the new misfits have really downgraded. Generations of family work aboard and we love their interisland and JFK-HNL which we are blessed to take all the time.  I hope Alaska doesn’t ruin it. They do need new interisland planes though as the HA 717s are getting quite old.  

6 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Hawaiian Didn't take over Aloha, Aloha failed in 2nd bankruptcy mostly due to Mesa Air. Read the history

Same song, different story.Monopoly from the West Coast? How do you figure that? No one except Alaska and HAL fly from the West Coast to Hawaii? Alaska said they'd keep the Virgin brand through the transition. See anything left of the Virgin brand?

Again, how do you figure this? SWA enters markets where it can get market share. They have the capability of planes and gate space to do this. Nothing to stop them

Just might have some insight as I was a pilot for HAL for and my wife's father was a VP. Hopefully the Hawaiian brand continues, but a business is a business. Dollars don't care! Southwest has thrown a big wrench into the Inter-island market and this take over doesn't have very much for the DOT to contest. Very few overlapping markets and a good overall market merger. Glad I'm retired.

Aloha.  I agree with your analysis. I hope the ‘Ohana atmosphere and work culture doesn’t disappear. Flying regularly between JFK and HNL I have become friends with many FA and staff. I remember sadly when one FA perished in the Marco Polo fire.  I just home Alaska doesn’t ruin it.

3 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Totally agree. Dunkerly created a family (‘Ohana) atmosphere which the new misfits have really downgraded. Generations of family work aboard and we love their interisland and JFK-HNL which we are blessed to take all the time.  I hope Alaska doesn’t ruin it. They do need new interisland planes though as the HA 717s are getting quite old.  

I go back to when we were really an Ohana, the Mr Magoon days.Dunkerly was the one who started bringing in mainland people ih upper management and bypassing local people that had been with the company for many years. Dunkerly did transition the airline to the Airbus fleet and was rewarded with a Director position at Airbus. The present CEO Peter Ingram put his house up for sale 3 weeks ago, wonder where he'll land.

10 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Yea, I remember AS saying that when they took over VX.

Didn’t take AS very long to totally wipe out the VX brand into history.

Just saying

Hawaiian and Virgin America are very, very different brands. Keeping the Hawaiian brand is much more likely than keeping the Virgin America brand. 

10 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Southwest cannot offer direct flights from Seattle.

Why not? 

9 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Might want to let the people who are scheduled on Delta 310 (SEA-HNL), Delta 360 (SEA-HNL), Delta 344 (SEA-LIH), Delta 565 (SEA-KOA), and Delta 481 (SEA-OGG) know that their flights aren't leaving today 🙂