LIVE SIDE-BY-SIDE Celebrity Summit Retreat & Seascape Yacht Club 12/9-21/2023 ~ 1st MSC vs Farewell (?) X Suite Experience

Stem to Stern

2 hours ago, Ellesor826 said:

Be yet to need or use a chair at the desk on any of our cruises.  Gratefully.  

I generally have my laptop on that desk area and use the chair when doing my live reviews. Much better than sitting on the sofa and trying to work of that POS table they now have in the sky suites. 

• Like 1

Well, regardless of what I might use the desk for (if anything), I don’t think the desk and chair look right.  The chair looks like those plastic patio chairs that grocery stores sell for $20 or so. The desk (and other furniture) looks like that synthetic wood stuff sold at Walmart. And, that sofa. I don’t know how it works, but it looks like that cheap stuff that has no frame and is only foam rubber. It doesn’t look like what should be in a suite.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, regardless of what I might use the desk for (if anything), I don’t think the desk and chair look right.  The chair looks like those plastic patio chairs that grocery stores sell for $20 or so. The desk (and other furniture) looks like that synthetic wood stuff sold at Walmart. And, that sofa. I don’t know how it works, but it looks like that cheap stuff that has no frame and is only foam rubber. It doesn’t look like what should be in a suite.

yup.. very low end!!

modern style does not have to be cheapo and it def will not hold up to hotel type use!

• Like 1

Yes, this March we are booked in a concierge suite in the eastern Caribbean on the Regent Splendor. After seeing the furniture and trim in the SS in this thread, I used google to see pics of our future suite. It looked nothing like the SS suite, furniture and trim. It looks contemporary, but classy. I know that cruising in the Caribbean is a bit overdone, but we haven’t cruised there for 14 years. And we are old, and airlines aren’t reliable. The longer the flight, the more connections, the greater the chance of being stranded. So we are going back to the Caribbean. The furniture deficiencies in the SS wouldn’t keep us from booking  a cruise in one.  But other things do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I generally have my laptop on that desk area and use the chair when doing my live reviews. Much better than sitting on the sofa and trying to work of that POS table they now have in the sky suites. 

I always do my lives from the jacuzzi.  J/k🤪

• Haha 4

You mentioned no jets in the solarium hot tubs.  We have been on Summit several times since the restart.  No jets in any of the public hot tubs onboard.  First sailing in Nov of 2021 said they were broken (but all of them??).   I haven't inquired since.   It seems improbable that they are all non-functional but would have no idea why they would have them intentionally disabled.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

You mentioned no jets in the solarium hot tubs.  We have been on Summit several times since the restart.  No jets in any of the public hot tubs onboard.  First sailing in Nov of 2021 said they were broken (but all of them??).   I haven't inquired since.   It seems improbable that they are all non-functional but would have no idea why they would have them intentionally disabled.

I need my jets.  I find this unacceptable.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

it def will not hold up to hotel type use!

Kelly’s chairs and barstools at the Sunset Bar are an epic fail.   Paint on chair legs all chipped off.  Far from Modern Luxury.  Interiors of the ship are fairing much better.  Judging from the clientele currently on board the ship does take quite a beating.

• Like 2

All the Chairs are just wrong!

Not a bad layout but no frills... very basic dorm decor!  Bland colors with the orange do not covey modern luxury to me!

The outdoor furn  does not look comfy. How is it  to sit or lounge on ?

• Like 2

@Stem to Stern there is another thread indicating that the Retreat Lounge is now up charging passengers for wine/drinks that exceed the premium package limit. The post was made on a different site by a passenger currently there with you on Summit. This could be a misunderstanding, nasty rumor, or just complete misinformation. Can you confirm?  If I missed where you already addressed this, please forgive me 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

The outdoor furn  does not look comfy. How is it  to sit or lounge on ?

Firm and stained loveseat seat cushion.  Floppy backrest cushion that falls through frame, so when I leaned back I was against the metal frame.  Spattered with white paint.  I covered the loveseat with pool towels.😢

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

@Stem to Stern there is another thread indicating that the Retreat Lounge is now up charging passengers for wine/drinks that exceed the premium package limit. The post was made on a different site by a passenger currently there with you on Summit. This could be a misunderstanding, nasty rumor, or just complete misinformation. Can you confirm?  If I missed where you already addressed this, please forgive me 😊

I can only report on Luminae.  Yes, I caved.  But that is it.  No more.  I can drink my grocery store wine on Thursday when I get home.  

Ordered one glass of Whispering Angel and charged $2.40.  I was warned upon ordering.

Last night DH asked for a Syrah.  We both sampled.  DH accepted.  I found it unsinkable and I am NOT a wine connoisseur by any means.  So, I had Conundrum red.  At the end of the meal I asked if I could take the remainder with me upon leaving.  Was given a different glass and offered a top off.  A $4.80 charge on my account.  I guess I go back to Chopin and Lychee Martinis tonight.😃

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why even put in a tub 🙄

Didn’t the sky suites on the Millennium-class ships always have a tub?  We both actually preferred the tiny rain shower in the Yacht Club Interior suite on Seascape.  But the larger vanity in the Sky Suite is nice.  It would make sense to have a towel bar above the toilet to properly hang the fresh towels rather than stuffing them on the shelf under the vanity.  DH enjoys the extra breathing room in the Sky Suite.  It was nice stepping out onto our verandah to view the sunrise over Cuba, but the verandah wont get much use the rest of the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Didn’t the sky suites on the Millennium-class ships always have a tub?  We both actually preferred the tiny rain shower in the Yacht Club Interior suite on Seascape.  But the larger vanity in the Sky Suite is nice.  It would make sense to have a towel bar above the toilet to properly hang the fresh towels rather than stuffing them on the shelf under the vanity.  DH enjoys the extra breathing room in the Sky Suite.  It was nice stepping out onto our verandah to view the sunrise over Cuba, but the verandah wont get much use the rest of the day.

The shower would have been better without the tube after they renovated the bathroom 

it looks like almost the same tile I just installed in a new bathroom IMG_2513.thumb.jpeg.2f55b2242bd78a931b50d1933112ea33.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Is it just me, or do the furnishings in the Sky Suite look a little “Motel 6ish”? I couldn’t tell much about the Yacht Club inside, because it was small with not much in it.

More like IKEA. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

There us to be shelves and towels racks before Kelly did her magic.   I don’t think she ver cruised on a ship.   She also removed the larger walk in closets with lights that came on when opened.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

• Like 2