Realistically, How Many Will Wear Tuxedos on a 12-Night Panama Canal Princess Cruise?

Smokeyham

On 12/15/2023 at 7:50 AM, Steelers36 said:

On 12/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, SCX22 said:

If using the photos @JimmyVWine posted as a metric, exactly 10.  Unless my eyes are fooling me.

image.png.84a5109059a528b3e4f125d37f77a1c7.jpg

image.png.be769ca51a9596fda773344cb39456aa.jpg

image.png.70caca17005ecbf8ad2b40b0aeb81e70.jpg

To be fair, some guys have their backs to us or have their bodies mostly hidden. 😉

On 12/15/2023 at 8:13 PM, PrincessLuver said:

I have a feeling somebody did not pass statistics.

I thought it was a joke! 😄 

On 12/15/2023 at 10:58 AM, Roberto256 said:

I am afraid they will be disappointed.

As it's usually the maitre d', not 'an officer' at the champagne waterfall.

Also, the waterfall has been really down-sized over the years.

It used to start from the floor, and go up ... like a christmas tree.

Now, just disappointing.

More like champagne rapids...

Hi waste; low reward. It’s the low-hanging fruit of cutback land. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Wow - the 70's and 80's kill it.  Almost 2300!

Us 70+ oldies were 68% of the passenger population.  I guess asking for a Senior discount is out of the question.  😀     

In reality, this shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone who uses Princess.   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Us 70+ oldies were 68% of the passenger population.  I guess asking for a Senior discount is out of the question.  😀     

In reality, this shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone who uses Princess.   

I said it earlier... I am currently on the Sky Princess and it is chock-a-block full, mainly with younger (under 60) cruisers and families.  So, generalized statements on demographics are not reliable; it is very much dependent on time of year, itinerary and length of cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I said it earlier... I am currently on the Sky Princess and it is chock-a-block full, mainly with younger (under 60) cruisers and families.  So, generalized statements on demographics are not reliable; it is very much dependent on time of year, itinerary and length of cruise.

There's a block of well aged folks on this board that wouldn't dream of bookings a Princess sailing over a school break because they don't want to cruise with kids.  They would rather cruise with the Princess status quo of cruising with a more mature crowd.  Remember AARP is mentioned a lot on this board.  Personally, I think it's refreshing to be on a Princess ship where the majority of the ship isn't hard of hearing, hard of seeing, and hard of ambulating. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Possibly also the ship type. Those bigger ships with tons of amusements do attract a younger crowd.

4 hours ago, SCX22 said:

There's a block of well aged folks on this board that wouldn't dream of bookings a Princess sailing over a school break because they don't want to cruise with kids.  They would rather cruise with the Princess status quo of cruising with a more mature crowd.  Remember AARP is mentioned a lot on this board.  Personally, I think it's refreshing to be on a Princess ship where the majority of the ship isn't hard of hearing, hard of seeing, and hard of ambulating. 

There are other reasons not to book during school holidays though. Mostly crowds. We never go to Disneyland if school is out unless we absolutely have to, for example. It's not to avoid kids. It's to avoid lines. 

Our cruise is in January after school is back in session on a smaller ship for over two weeks so I assume we'll also have over half the ship being older than us. I don't mind as old people can be interesting and I don't need to ride go-carts on my cruise. I do worry about the passengers who seem very fragile (worry that something bad will happen to them) but most of the people who travel seem young for their age to me.

Not to mention, as a senior citizen, lots of people on the ship think I'm old too even if I don't. 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, a generalization based on a lot of actual experience.   Like most things,  "not necessarily" will always apply.     

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, a generalization based on a lot of actual experience.   Like most things,  "not necessarily" will always apply.     

That's correct.  Your generalization based on your experience is totally wrong for the cruise I am currently enjoying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

That's correct.  Your generalization based on your experience is totally wrong for the cruise I am currently enjoying.

I was commenting on what was usual, common, typical, average, prevalent  -- take your pick.  There will always be outliers.  The important thing you mention is we enjoy our cruises regardless of he age demographics.   

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:25 AM, SCX22 said:

And watching small children twirl to the music in the Piazza is so entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 2:52 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Rule #1.  Wear what you feel comfortable wearing.  Some people would feel awkward being the least dressed up person in a room and others might feel uncomfortable being the most dressed up person in a room.  You be you.  

Rule #2.  Only rule # 1. matters.

That said, do not believe the people who tell you that only 4 or 5 men will wear a tux.  Or that no one dresses up any more.  Here are some random photos that I took with my phone not intending to prove or disprove anything.  These were just random crowd shots taken on formal night several months ago to capture the overall vibe and feel of the Piazza before dinner and in the Vista Lounge after dinner.  Were one to believe that only a handful of men wear tuxes, then that handful all found their way into the viewing angle of my camera lens all at the same time.  I am not pushing an agenda.  There were very casually dressed people as well as those dressed to the nines.  But the notion that the ship did not take on a much more formal atmosphere is simply denying the truth.   I am certain that if I had taken pictures in the buffet area, they would have told a different story.  But that different story does not negate the story that unfolded on decks 5-7.

image.png.84a5109059a528b3e4f125d37f77a1c7.png 

Thanks, it does seem that a fair number of people are still wearing tuxedoes.

We were on a 22 day Princess Enchanted Med cruise in Nov 2023.

That cruise was basically 2 11 day cruises Barcelona to Barcelona.

There were 4 formal nights. What we saw and experienced was very few Tux & Gowns. Some suits & dresses. More casual attire. Some people in shorts, jeans and very casual clothes.

Been on 9 cruises this year on various cruise lines. Formal is out!

A thing of the past. Casual is the thing now. Cruise lines accept what you wear and will not question your style.

RCI, CELEBRITY, MSC, NCL & PRINCESS.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I’ve worn a tux before because I enjoyed going out wearing one. I never wondered what other people would think so since you enjoy wearing one PLEASE do & post your photos here for us to enjoy. 

Here's myself at a formal night in a tux. I have 2 jackets…with & without tails. 

Tom😀

• Like 3

Dressing up in a tux was required for dinner on ocean liners in the 30s, late 40s and early 50s.  First class only.  Second class and 3rd classes had no dress requirements.  I crossed the Atlantic several times, first on 1949 and again 5 times in the early 1950s.  Didn't start flying until 1962

• Thanks 1

I had a MDR maitre 'd' tell me once - the night *before* a formal night... when I came to the MDR in shorts... that I should wear long pants to the MDR the next night because if would be a "formal night"... but there were folks even in shorts the next night.   That was 4-5 years back, so they may not even do that any more. 

I rented tux's for my first couple of cruises... we got them delivered to the stateroom by the website business that works (worked? not sure if it still exists - use google to check) with Princess... and we got some fun pictures... but I don't any more... just stuff we can wash in the self-service laundry.  

One funny thing... on the first cruise (Alaska) I had a rental tux delivered to the cabin, but I didn't receive a tie... so we called passenger services, and our cabin steward brought me a "cabin steward tie", and tied it for me... we took video of him "Fixing me up"... all of us laughing... which was kind of fun.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a 15-day full transit early December (older crowd), we had 5-10% tuxedos, 50-60% jacket (suit or sport coat with or without tie, mostly with), 20-30% or so dressy shirt and pants. Maybe 10% in polo shirts or other casual clothes. 

On a 7-day from Los Angeles, less of all the more formal options but still some of each—and a lot more polo shirts. 

Edited by EconDoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Potstech said:

And how did you come up with those numbers?  And how large of a sample does it cover?

Does it matter! At least @EconDocgave a more relevant answer to the OP's actual question compared to many other replies.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Getting back to formal night dress, we have learned to leave our Tux home when going on Princess (and most other lines).  A sport jacket or blazer makes me among the better dressed folks on Princess where good taste in dress disappeared years ago.  

In fairness to Princess, the dress down trend has become the norm across most cruise lines (including several luxury lines).  We have noted a lot of push-back on the Silverseas board where quite a few of the posters are doing their best to gaslight formal and business wear.  

Hank

On 12/17/2023 at 2:59 AM, Kmkub said:

Hi waste; low reward. It’s the low-hanging fruit of cutback land. 

Respectfully disagree. The entire ship's leadership attended our recent Nov cruise, and the officers took turns with the passengers. For those who don't cruise very much, this is a wonderful experience. 

• Like 1

I did want to make one other comment on this topic to agree with several folks here. My wife seldom gets an opportunity to dress up and so I go all in with a tux b/c she has such a great time. We cruise pretty often and I guess 10% or so of the men wear a tux and prob over 60% wear jackets (my very unscientific guess!).