Passenger count Dec 22 - Jan 5 journey

Feelthebreeze87

On 12/19/2023 at 3:15 AM, uktog said:

Last orders were being asked for at 2145 in the lobby with Natalia playing until 2230.  Unfortunately the trio as it was in the Astern played intermittently each night due to lack of customers ( the bar was open) and the Explora lounge bar stayed open but the other piano player stopped before 2200.  
The whole entertainment schedule was illogical. I’ve no idea who came up with it but it gave the impression either they’d never scheduled entertainment on a cruise ship, didn’t talk to the beverage manager to coordinate opening times and entertainment and/or were not looking each day at what guests were hanging around looking for.  Total lack of entertainment management despite the fancy job title.
As soon as Heike the general manager identified the disconnect on our cruise she did initiate changes though the entertainers still seemed not to have the full message! 
This was an example of an entertainment fix that didn’t need budget or new performers just a bit of scheduling nous. Make sure the entertainment and bar hours are coordinated and put one place with something that goes on until 2300 in addition to the disco - as we have on Azamara, Viking etc. An easy one to tweak. 

You are correct.  How do you not know how to schedule entertainment?  That boggles my mind.  Maybe a lack of experience to schedule or did not hire enough entertainment?  It's too bad on such a beautiful ship,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raintree said:

You are correct.  How do you not know how to schedule entertainment?  That boggles my mind.  Maybe a lack of experience to schedule or did not hire enough entertainment?  It's too bad on such a beautiful ship,

When Celebrity debuted the Edge series, they proudly announced that none of the designers had ever sailed on a ship before (much less designed one); it shows and we have dropped Celebrity from our plans.  So when Explora started saying they intended to be 'completely different,' I knew that was a big red flag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raintree said:

26 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When Celebrity debuted the Edge series, they proudly announced that none of the designers had ever sailed on a ship before (much less designed one); it shows and we have dropped Celebrity from our plans.  So when Explora started saying they intended to be 'completely different,' I knew that was a big red flag.

I had a fantastic time on Explora and have a much more positive outlook on the entertainment even though I was less than satisfied.  These are all "software" issues that are easily correctable and are being addressed.  It's much simpler than changing interior design!

The concept of no show lounge and  associated (generally) awful production shows is excellent - the execution is presently lacking but can be fixed. The piano players around the ship are excellent and ... there are players, (including one who sings too) not just  one!  The house band is excellent but is hampered by the unfortunately not particularly good singers. They just need to hire some more seasoned performers.

But - again, the show concepts are good - they just need to be done better.  I think that they will need a slightly more "heavy handed" CD than what they have now to introduce evenings and such but I'm not worried.

The overall pro's far outweigh the cons. On top of my next one in a few months, I booked three more!

• Like 5

I would agree with @Dr. Cocktail  Scheduling is a basic switch. The Cruise Director/Entertainment Manager needs to direct/manage and not be decorative. That was probably the root cause of the problem.
Changing the singers would make a massive difference as two average players can’t hold down the number/type of “shows” required. Maybe have four really competent people so they can still do some shows as twos but can work on a variety of offerings across the four. Add in some variety in the guest entertainers (the ones we had were very good but too similar) and you will have improved the offering a million times

So the “different concept” isn’t the issue it’s the execution. 

• Like 3

On 12/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

I had a fantastic time on Explora and have a much more positive outlook on the entertainment even though I was less than satisfied.  These are all "software" issues that are easily correctable and are being addressed.  It's much simpler than changing interior design!

The concept of no show lounge and  associated (generally) awful production shows is excellent - the execution is presently lacking but can be fixed. The piano players around the ship are excellent and ... there are players, (including one who sings too) not just  one!  The house band is excellent but is hampered by the unfortunately not particularly good singers. They just need to hire some more seasoned performers.

But - again, the show concepts are good - they just need to be done better.  I think that they will need a slightly more "heavy handed" CD than what they have now to introduce evenings and such but I'm not worried.

The overall pro's far outweigh the cons. On top of my next one in a few months, I booked three more!

We were very fortunate to have Steinway artists on board with excellent piano focused entertainment 

Different and talented as well as beautiful 

• Like 2

I am currently on the Explora and while the ship is beautiful and the crew very good and the food also very good, the problems are not a software issue in my opinion. The design of the ship simply does not allow for the things that most cruisers enjoy, such as entertainment and lectures with music at the main pool. Here, there are too many pools, no place to eat or get food at the pools and no theatre that could allow for a real show. There are too many smaller venues to allow for the things that made cruising great. There is nothing to do during the day. No cards, no real lectures, no computer room and no music. Despite what Explora likes to say, we are on a cruise, not a journey, and changing  the titles of a dedicated staff still does not change their jobs. In my opinion there is absolutely no vibe and never can be one without massive changes to the physical structure of this beautiful ship.

Danny

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, litigator said:

I am currently on the Explora and while the ship is beautiful and the crew very good and the food also very good, the problems are not a software issue in my opinion. The design of the ship simply does not allow for the things that most cruisers enjoy, such as entertainment and lectures with music at the main pool. Here, there are too many pools, no place to eat or get food at the pools and no theatre that could allow for a real show. There are too many smaller venues to allow for the things that made cruising great. There is nothing to do during the day. No cards, no real lectures, no computer room and no music.

Clearly we sailed on different ships as that was not our experience when on for 16 nights in September 

It may be the approach they’ve taken doesn’t suit you and the things you like on a cruise but that’s not to say it’s a miss for many others 

I can’t agree about your claim of no lectures and no “real” shows and these days who needs a computer room as we’re all equipped with our own devices and boy their computer network and internet speed is amazing - the best at sea! We didn’t use any of the pools when cruising in Iceland and Greenland so they weren’t a factor in our assessment of the ship

The dining options are the best we’ve experienced at sea - I know they will continue to improve on them but they’ve made an amazing start with the current offering  

We’ve sailed on Regent, Silversea, Viking and Explora in the last 12 months and will soon sail Crystal again and after all those experiences we definitely rate Explora Journeys in comparison with the other lines. Are there areas for improvement? - undoubtably but the current package is still very compelling 

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on the attributes of Explora and what they’ve chosen to focus on and package 

We can’t wait to return 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, litigator said:

I am currently on the Explora and while the ship is beautiful and the crew very good and the food also very good, the problems are not a software issue in my opinion. The design of the ship simply does not allow for the things that most cruisers enjoy, such as entertainment and lectures with music at the main pool. Here, there are too many pools, no place to eat or get food at the pools and no theatre that could allow for a real show. There are too many smaller venues to allow for the things that made cruising great. There is nothing to do during the day. No cards, no real lectures, no computer room and no music. Despite what Explora likes to say, we are on a cruise, not a journey, and changing  the titles of a dedicated staff still does not change their jobs. In my opinion there is absolutely no vibe and never can be one without massive changes to the physical structure of this beautiful ship.

Danny

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Clearly we sailed on different ships as that was not our experience when on for 16 nights in September 

It may be the approach they’ve taken doesn’t suit you and the things you like on a cruise but that’s not to say it’s a miss for many others 

I can’t agree about your claim of no lectures and no “real” shows and these days who needs a computer room as we’re all equipped with our own devices and boy their computer network and internet speed is amazing - the best at sea! We didn’t use any of the pools when cruising in Iceland and Greenland so they weren’t a factor in our assessment of the ship

The dining options are the best we’ve experienced at sea - I know they will continue to improve on them but they’ve made an amazing start with the current offering  

We’ve sailed on Regent, Silversea, Viking and Explora in the last 12 months and will soon sail Crystal again and after all those experiences we definitely rate Explora Journeys in comparison with the other lines. Are there areas for improvement? - undoubtably but the current package is still very compelling 

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on the attributes of Explora and what they’ve chosen to focus on and package 

We can’t wait to return 

I'm completely going to side with Stickman1990 here ....  Danny: I'm sorry that it's not working for you but you really are making some pretty big generalizations.  You really can't say "most cruisers enjoy" - we're all very different in what we look for in a cruise.

1) no music at the pool?  Great! I really don't like live music poolside and the playlists that they use on Explora are all good in that they let you chat or read

2) no entertainment?  Piano players, vocalists and a great band actually qualify as entertainment and as a real show too!  I've suffered through far many click-tracked, theme park "shows" to keep count of

3) the pools are an ABSOLUTE selling point - different views and vibes, all beautifully furnished with their own "feel"

4) I know that the lack of a pool grill has been an issue for some but again, not something that I require

5) a computer room? Now really .....

6) LOVE the smaller venues - a nice atmosphere that leads to conversations with people around you

7) So funny - I'm 60 and my partner is in his late 50's and we both commented on how FABULOUS the vibe was onboard.  I just hate the faux enthusiasm whipped up by hyperactive CD's  and loved how we were treated as adults and the wonderful conversations that we struck up.

I think that the fault here lies with you or your travel agent .... they are basically delivering what they promised. The deck plans, pools and lack of a show lounge were all known. But .... that's the beauty of there being so many choices out there - it may be better for you  to stick with a more "traditional" choice.  

Thanks for taking time out of your vaycay to comment!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, litigator said:

I am currently on the Explora and while the ship is beautiful and the crew very good and the food also very good, the problems are not a software issue in my opinion.

I respect your opinion; they definitely made some design decisions that preclude events like an on-deck dance party or having a library.  We had a great time regardless recently and plan to be back, but I can see how things people might be used to on other ships are not going to be present on Explora.  

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

We can’t wait to return 

AGREED Having sailed on EJ in October we found it simply spectacular with magnicificant food and superb crew. All ships are not made for everyone. When we were raising a family our 1st cruises were RCCL and Carnival. As the years went on our tastes evolved as did our finances, thankfully.  Now 43 plus years since our 1st cruise on 18 different cruise lines i can clearly say EJ ranks at the very top end and we have been on O, SS, Crystal Seabourn and others. Going in January on the new Oceania Vista with high hopes yet not sure it will exceed EJ. But that's not the point. Every ship is a unique adventure. In January of this year we revisited Celebrity and had a great cruise as well.

Happy cruising  The sea is a bountiful resource of joy on any vessel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is great to see some of you love the ship and the cruising experience while on board. However, the overwhelming majority of people I speak to onboard feel as I do. Perhaps this cruise line has accomplished their goal of achieving a new style product that will change the industry but that is not the reaction I have or hear from experienced cruisers  on board and that is more a product of the physical design which makes it impossible to have the things cruisers grew to love over the years.  While progress is always nice some changes are not for the better. 

We were on Explora in October and loved the cruise, in fact we booked another cruise while on board. I am sitting on the Crystal Serenity now and am also loving this cruise.

They are  totally different. Last night we watched a production show with 12 cast members and 6 or 7 band members. There must have been 15 to 20 costume changes, the show was fantastic. With the amount of money Crystal spent on this production I think that it will be around for a while, and the second or third or fourth time I see it I might not be quite as impressed.  

That's not to say we didn't enjoy the entertainment on Explora, it was very different but more likely to change. I agree that they need a stronger CD on Explora, when we were on, the timing of the performances was horrible with big gaps where nothing was happening. I enjoyed the lecturers on both ships equally.

When it comes to food Explora wins hands down, and this is a comparison with a cruise line known for their food. I keep watching for complaints about service on Explora and so far have not seen any. I was worried that as the ship was loaded with passengers there would be a problem accomodating them, especially in the Marketplace. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Explora has a different concept and they are going through a learning curve, no dispute, however we totally enjoyed our cruise.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Arizonasunshine said:

We were on Explora in October and loved the cruise, in fact we booked another cruise while on board. I am sitting on the Crystal Serenity now and am also loving this cruise.

They are  totally different. Last night we watched a production show with 12 cast members and 6 or 7 band members. There must have been 15 to 20 costume changes, the show was fantastic. With the amount of money Crystal spent on this production I think that it will be around for a while, and the second or third or fourth time I see it I might not be quite as impressed.  

That's not to say we didn't enjoy the entertainment on Explora, it was very different but more likely to change. I agree that they need a stronger CD on Explora, when we were on, the timing of the performances was horrible with big gaps where nothing was happening. I enjoyed the lecturers on both ships equally.

When it comes to food Explora wins hands down, and this is a comparison with a cruise line known for their food. I keep watching for complaints about service on Explora and so far have not seen any. I was worried that as the ship was loaded with passengers there would be a problem accomodating them, especially in the Marketplace. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Explora has a different concept and they are going through a learning curve, no dispute, however we totally enjoyed our cruise.

EJ food was the best we have ever experienced from many years of experience including Crystal and other luxury lines

All the best enjoy

• Like 2

Current passenger count is 528.  About 10% being children and most under 12 years age.

From today's paper agenda.  Dress Code at Fine Dining Outlets

"Let's elevate our dining experience with a touch of smart casual flair.  The smart casual style combines tailored essentials with relaxed pieces.  Think tailored trousers or skirts paired with polished tops or shirts.  Please avoid shorts and flip-flops.  Because good taste extends beyond menu."

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, saminina said:

Current passenger count is 528.  About 10% being children and most under 12 years age.

"Let's elevate our dining experience with a touch of smart casual flair.  The smart casual style combines tailored essentials with relaxed pieces.  Think tailored trousers or skirts paired with polished tops or shirts.  Please avoid shorts and flip-flops.  Because good taste extends beyond menu."

On our October cruise we saw a relaxed enforcement of the dress code. Lots of jeans and tee shirts in the evening.

9 hours ago, litigator said:

It is great to see some of you love the ship and the cruising experience while on board. However, the overwhelming majority of people I speak to onboard feel as I do. Perhaps this cruise line has accomplished their goal of achieving a new style product that will change the industry but that is not the reaction I have or hear from experienced cruisers  on board and that is more a product of the physical design which makes it impossible to have the things cruisers grew to love over the years.  While progress is always nice some changes are not for the better. 

We find your view quite interesting.  I cannot help but wonder how much of what you say (and hear) is because some on your cruise expected some kind of normal Caribbean cruise.  There is very little "normal' about EJ and they made that pretty clear in their promotional materials.  Blasting music at the pools is not the norm on luxury lines or in luxury resorts...which is the vibe sought by EJ.  Those that want music are certainly free to use their own ear buds, headphones, etc. which is the norm when we are on other luxury lines.   DW and I are among some frequent cruisers who dislike the blasting "noise" found on many ships at poolside (or elsewhere).  EJ projects the imagine of a quiet refined atmosphere. Similar to what would find at a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.  

In our various posts back in Sept-Oct we also mentioned the lack of a food venue at the main pool as a negative.  Every cruise ship upon which we have cruised (and that would be at least 70 vessels) have had some kind of food venue (such as a grill, buffet, etc) at their main pool.  EJ1 only has the gelato place, and their offerings are very limited!

While I do agree that EJ does not provide many things expected by cruisers, they view this as a positive thing.  There are plenty of Carnival, RCI, Princess and Celebrity ships for those seeking tons of activities, lots of noise, art auctions, etc.  That being said, even lines like Seabourn do sometimes have pool parties, outdoor food events, etc.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saminina said:

On the ship now, I have no issues with dress codes. When we went on SS I wore a suit or jacket nightly and my wife dressed up as well. I do have an issue with a line pushing the no dress code narrative prior to coming on the ship now imposing a dress code after we are already here. A lot of “corporate told us to” on the ship.

The food is the best I have had at sea, crystal was next but this is on another level. I agree entertainment is odd but they do have two shows a night in a fairly large space and we enjoy the trivia and other activities. I’ll also so this line has been amazing with children, they handed out gift at Christmas, not cheap ones, and have worked hard to provide a great experience for families. I wouldn’t hesitate to go on this line again.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We find your view quite interesting.  I cannot help but wonder how much of what you say (and hear) is because some on your cruise expected some kind of normal Caribbean cruise.  There is very little "normal' about EJ and they made that pretty clear in their promotional materials.  Blasting music at the pools is not the norm on luxury lines or in luxury resorts...which is the vibe sought by EJ.  Those that want music are certainly free to use their own ear buds, headphones, etc. which is the norm when we are on other luxury lines.   DW and I are among some frequent cruisers who dislike the blasting "noise" found on many ships at poolside (or elsewhere).  EJ projects the imagine of a quiet refined atmosphere. Similar to what would find at a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.  

In our various posts back in Sept-Oct we also mentioned the lack of a food venue at the main pool as a negative.  Every cruise ship upon which we have cruised (and that would be at least 70 vessels) have had some kind of food venue (such as a grill, buffet, etc) at their main pool.  EJ1 only has the gelato place, and their offerings are very limited!

While I do agree that EJ does not provide many things expected by cruisers, they view this as a positive thing.  There are plenty of Carnival, RCI, Princess and Celebrity ships for those seeking tons of activities, lots of noise, art auctions, etc.  That being said, even lines like Seabourn do sometimes have pool parties, outdoor food events, etc.  

Hank

Well said. We did enjoy some years ago a white night pool party evening on Azamara which was stellar.  EJ for us really is top shelf refined and lovely 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saminina said:

Can anyone really complain about not being able to wear shorts and flip flops to restaurants after 6pm? 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Can anyone really complain about not being able to wear shorts and flip flops to restaurants after 6pm? 

My 12 year old can and does lol. Crystal has the same policy of no shorts and only shirts with a collar after 6pm and I have no issue with it at all.

My issue is changing in the middle of a cruise after selling to both my kids that they can wear what they want. Your review made me looking forward to this so much more btw so thank you for it, it’s everything you said and more!

IMG_2617.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m on the cruise and almost everyone we talked to loves Explora and will be back again.  The day before we boarded we toured the Regent Granduer and we  both thought it was a beautiful ship. The one thing we didn’t like on the Granduer was that the corridors seemed narrow and the ceilings were very low. My wife was worried that Explora would not meet her expectations after seeing the Granduer. She was blown away in the first 10 minutes on the ship.  We have booked two more cruises.   We love the service, the food is amazing and the layout of the ship is perfect for us.  The smoked old fashioned at the Whiskey Bar is part of my nightly routine.  There are some minor kinks that need to worked out but they had no impact on our cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, parallax said:

I’m on the cruise and almost everyone we talked to loves Explora and will be back again.

Wow what a fabulous start. May I ask if you get chance can you ask for the current passenger count on the 19th January 2024. Would be useful to get an indication of how full the ship will be.

Enjoy every minute we now can’t wait to see her for ourselves